• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

96 R850R Bogging Down

So it is running way too rich. Or the spark is very intermittent. The trick is to figure out which and why.

In attempting to adjust the tps with the zero=zero procedure on ibmwr the value on the multimeter never changed from .006 while rotating the sensor: to me this indicates a faulty tps, but I'm not sure.

In attempting to adjust the tps with the zero=zero procedure on ibmwr the value on the multimeter never changed from .006 while rotating the sensor: to me this indicates a faulty tps, but I'm not sure.

Do you have signal voltage and ground continuity?

To expand on D'Yoda's question - it sounds like you don't have a good connection to the proper places at the TPS plug.

First verify that your DVM actually goes to Zero when you short the test leads together - I've seen many cases where those leads have broken internally, typically where the wire connects to either the banana plug or the probe itself. Even some broken strands can cause a bit of grief: the measurements won't be repeatable. Also verify that the battery in the DVM is known to be good - it's not used "directly" for taking a voltage measurement, but it still has to reliably power the display.

You need to make certain that you have good contact to the white wire with the red runner (Pin #1 is rearmost), and to the brown wire that bolts to to the throttle body (ground, also Pin 4, frontmost). You can use a fine needle to gently pierce the #1 wire's insulation with minimal damage, or gently snake it up alongside the wire & pin until you make contact. A couple of small alligator clip adapters can be useful here.

It would also be worthwhile to disconnect the TPS plug and inspect the mating pins in the connector and on the throttle body for distortion. Make sure it's fully seated and the spring clip goes back into position when you put it back on to take the measurement again.

Apalm, I have to ask --- are you certain this is not still the HES ???

When the problem first occurred the HES was definitely bad. From your pic it looks like you added some insulation, but still the problem persists.

Apalm, I have to ask --- are you certain this is not still the HES ???

When the problem first occurred the HES was definitely bad. From your pic it looks like you added some insulation, but still the problem persists.

:lurk

The part of the insulation that suffers the most damage is in the splice behind the plate itself.

Attachments

• Insulation HES_resize.JPG
    Insulation HES_resize.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Randy 1_resize.JPG
    Randy 1_resize.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 121
You need to make certain that you have good contact to the white wire with the red runner (Pin #1 is rearmost), and to the brown wire that bolts to to the throttle body (ground, also Pin 4, frontmost). You can use a fine needle to gently pierce the #1 wire's insulation with minimal damage, or gently snake it up alongside the wire & pin until you make contact. A couple of small alligator clip adapters can be useful here.

I was measuring the voltage originally with the ground directly on the battery, I switched it to the brown wire to try again. There is still no change in voltage when rotating the TPS. I have verified that the DVM is working properly

As for the HES, I ran the new wires all the way up to the pink/green wires behing the splices; the insulation on those looked fine. I suppose it is still possible that it may be causing the issue, however with the TPS test going the way it did makes it seem unlikely to me.

https://imgur.com/gQ2OSKh

Here's a schematic of what's inside the TPS:

TPS Schematic.jpg

Older oilheads used wirewound resistive elements, but this was changed to a resistive film later on.

It would be interesting to unplug the TPS and set up the DVM for a resistance check - see if you can get a change of resistance between pins 1 and 2, pins 1 and 4, and pins 2 and 3, while turning the throttle (the wiper of the unit is a snug slip fit on the throttle plate shaft). If you have an Open or No Change, that would point to a bad TPS.

Uh oh

Hi everyone, I finally got around to getting a new (used) tps. The problem with the throttle seems to be fixed, however while doing a TB sync I noticed a leak from the valve cover gasket area. When I took it off the oil was murky and thin and smelled of gas. I'm not even sure what to make of the situation, as the original problem appears resolved but I'm pretty convinced I seriously broke something in the fall it seems.

Hi everyone, I finally got around to getting a new (used) tps. The problem with the throttle seems to be fixed, however while doing a TB sync I noticed a leak from the valve cover gasket area. When I took it off the oil was murky and thin and smelled of gas. I'm not even sure what to make of the situation, as the original problem appears resolved but I'm pretty convinced I seriously broke something in the fall it seems.

Drain the oil immediately and put in fresh oil and change the filter. A bad HES can cause injectors to continuously fire, dumping raw gas into cylinders which makes its way into the oil.

Back