• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New MOA Member from Illinois

cbauling

Hello all,
I invested in a 2013 R1200GS Adventurer March 2019 in preparation for retirement. Happy to have put 6k on last year while getting used to the bike on weekends and a couple multi-day trips. Looking to log many more in 2020.

I'm hoping to find traveling partner(s) for some multi-day trips around the midwest (Wisconsin TWAT, for example:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/trans-wisconsin-adventure-trail-a-k-a-twat.719367/ )
with a long-term vision to plan a ride to Alaska in 2021.

Any suggestions, shared experiences, and referrals are appreciated.
Craig

Craig, welcome from the coast of Kansas. Your story sounds similar to the stories of lots of us on the forum.

My general advice is to not wait too long to take your trips or you will be too old, too sick or too dead! Next piece of advice: don't over-plan any trip and don't over-pack for any ride. Get a vision in your head of a sorta neat trip, throw a change of duds in the saddlebag (or waterproof top bag) and take off. Adjust on the fly. Carry a credit card and a phone. Just do it.

Good luck.

Hey Craig...congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the forum.

Where in Illinois do you call home (you might want to finish filling out your profile)? I grew up in central Illinois (Gibson City), but haven't lived in the area for 45 years. I do still have family there that I visit annually.

Welcome!

Welcome to the club and the forum sir, from someone else who grew up in central Illinois (Rantoul, Chanute Air Force Base, Paxton).

My suggestion: now that you are a member access your Anonymous book/Anonymous book app. In it, you’ll find the phone numbers to local members and charter clubs, to include members/clubs in Wisconsin. Make some phone calls, you may be surprised how many members and clubs are out there looking for new riding buddies too.

Welcome from as far away as you can get on the continent. I was born in Jacksonville. We’re building a Moto B&B, come on up to enjoy your retirement some more.

You should go to the swap meet in Pecatonica in late April. A great opportunity for stuff you didn’t know you needed and to meet other riders. It’s listed in the events in the MOA magazine.

I'm About 75 miles away from you to the east. Some nice roads out of Mt Carroll to the Galena area and many good roads, off and on in the area of SE Wisconsin and the surrounding states. Plenty of riders from Chicago area ride up that way and along the river so I am sure you can find some riders heading that way. A couple clubs in the Chicago area that might be a bit far away but you might find some riders to meet up with. I sometimes pass through your town when I am headed to the Galena area or SE Wisconsin.

https://driftlessroadadventures.com/

Craig, welcome from the coast of Kansas. Your story sounds similar to the stories of lots of us on the forum.

My general advice is to not wait too long to take your trips or you will be too old, too sick or too dead! Next piece of advice: don't over-plan any trip and don't over-pack for any ride. Get a vision in your head of a sorta neat trip, throw a change of duds in the saddlebag (or waterproof top bag) and take off. Adjust on the fly. Carry a credit card and a phone. Just do it.

Good luck.

+1 :thumb

Response to Bicyclenut

I'm About 75 miles away from you to the east. Some nice roads out of Mt Carroll to the Galena area and many good roads, off and on in the area of SE Wisconsin and the surrounding states. Plenty of riders from Chicago area ride up that way and along the river so I am sure you can find some riders heading that way. A couple clubs in the Chicago area that might be a bit far away but you might find some riders to meet up with. I sometimes pass through your town when I am headed to the Galena area or SE Wisconsin.

https://driftlessroadadventures.com/

Excellent resource! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the club and the forum sir, from someone else who grew up in central Illinois (Rantoul, Chanute Air Force Base, Paxton).

My suggestion: now that you are a member access your Anonymous book/Anonymous book app. In it, you’ll find the phone numbers to local members and charter clubs, to include members/clubs in Wisconsin. Make some phone calls, you may be surprised how many members and clubs are out there looking for new riding buddies too.
Small world! I work in Rantoul.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Small world! I work in Rantoul.

Ha...my mom currently lives in Rantoul. I make a couple of trips there a year to visit.

Pretty impressive the town has managed to survive after losing Chanute AFB (my mother worked at the base for many years as a civil servant).

Ha...my mom currently lives in Rantoul. I make a couple of trips there a year to visit.

Pretty impressive the town has managed to survive after losing Chanute AFB (my mother worked at the base for many years as a civil servant).
It has changed a lot, and it's about to change even more. They tore down White Hall, which was the second largest building in the DoD inventory only behind The Pentagon. There is a massive sports complex going in near I-57 and South of Walmart that they just broke ground on.

Back