• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shipping Bike

blast54

How to find a place to drop ship three bikes in Denver area

Hello folks,
I am planning to ship three bikes to Denver (easier flight options) the ride around for a couple weeks, hit the rally ,then ride back to East Coast. I am using uShip and need to find someone on the Denver side to accept the bikes and store them from 6/11 to 6/20. I have called two dealers so far and have not received any response.

I have used Federal before for bike transport but the uShip is fully insured, the dates work out but there is no "warehouse" on the other to receive them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill Kenney
Foster,RI

Last edited:
Shipping Bike - need someone to receive it in Denver 6/11-6/20/20

Have you tried looking in the "Anonymous Book"?

It might help if you changed the title of your post to reflect what you are actually specifically seeking

I am using Federal in 2 weeks to ship a bike. Hope they are as good as I've heard. They are great to deal with and seems like a fair price.

Just a follow up to my last post ... I just had a bike shipped from Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC using Federal and have to say the experience was EXCELLENT. It worked exactly as they stated it would.

• The representative I spoke to initially (Mary) was excellent and very knowledgable and confidence instilling
  • All my questions and conversed were addressed
  • Bike was picked up on time
  • They guys picking it up were professional and experienced
  • The bike was securely strapped down on a skid made for motorcycles
  • They even let me get up into the truck and watch the strapping process
  • Communication through the entire process was excellent and as expected
  • Bike was delivered to destination 3 days early
  • Bike had NO damage whatsoever when delivered

I would definitely use Federal again!

A couple of years ago a guy contacted me from the Anonymous Book asking if I could store his GS so he could fly home and then have a bike transport company pick it up. Ever two years he takes a long trip from his home on the east coast and rides far west, then leaves the bike and has it shipped home. That way he adds a week to his riding time. So, we did this and he used Haul Bikes (https://haulbikes.com/). They were awesome! They called me as soon as he made the arrangements confirming the pickup date, on that day they called several times as the truck approached my location and were right on time. They had pallets and proprer strapping and the 18 wheel truck trailer was all rigged to carry bikes on two layers. Total professionals, and I heard from the owner once his bike was delivered who said it was in perfect condition.

A couple of years ago a guy contacted me from the Anonymous Book asking if I could store his GS so he could fly home and then have a bike transport company pick it up. Ever two years he takes a long trip from his home on the east coast and rides far west, then leaves the bike and has it shipped home. That way he adds a week to his riding time. So, we did this and he used Haul Bikes (https://haulbikes.com/). They were awesome! They called me as soon as he made the arrangements confirming the pickup date, on that day they called several times as the truck approached my location and were right on time. They had pallets and proprer strapping and the 18 wheel truck trailer was all rigged to carry bikes on two layers. Total professionals, and I heard from the owner once his bike was delivered who said it was in perfect condition.

That sounds very similar to how Federal works .... lots of communication before the pick-up and delivery.

That sounds very similar to how Federal works .... lots of communication before the pick-up and delivery.

I've heard good things about Federal, but never used them myself. I was unaware of Haul Bikes until the guy with the GS introduce me to them. It's good to have choices!

I've heard good things about Federal, but never used them myself. I was unaware of Haul Bikes until the guy with the GS introduce me to them. It's good to have choices!

I had heard mix reviews of Haul Bikes some very good and some poor. The only reason I used Federal was I asked my dealer and both the owner of the dealership and the service manager said "as fussy as you are just use Federal" :laugh

I am sure there are other good firms out there but this was my only experiment with shipping a bike.

And yes ....good to have options for sure.

I used Haul Bikes a few years ago and what a pain the butt! They loved me right up until I signed the contract, then they didn't love me anymore. The communications after I signed the contract were horrible to non-existent.

They promised it would be delivered in three weeks. It took them two weeks just to pick it up in Louisiana and then they took it to their warehouse in Pennsylvania. I live in Colorado! Had they taken it to their Las Vega warehouse, I would have just flown out there and got it.

It then sat in Pennsylvania for a few weeks. I couldn't get my rep on the phone to answer any questions on when it would be delivered. I started to just go through the nice woman who answered the phones. They were unable to give me a delivery date. They kept saying it was up to the driver. The driver! I use to have my CDL and as a driver, we never made those decisions. Those were always made by a logistics manager. I cannot even imagine that those decisions are all up to the drivers.

The story goes on, right down to the truck driver and his incompetence, but you get the point.

Few year back I had 3 bikes shipped from Milwaukee to the Mobile area and used Haul bikers. 2 of the bikes arrived with no damage, but the third bike that which was a sidecar rig had damage. I was lucky that I had before pictures when the bikes were picked up by them and paperwork by the driver that stated there was no damage on any of the bikes. I took pictures of the bikes when the came off the trailer and found the damage to the sidecar. They ended up paying the claim but it was a headache. Then a couple years later I had to fly home from Canada and shipped the bike, with a international shipper. As I watched the shipper unstrap the bike they had used the handlebars as tie down points. I was lucky that the handle bars were not bent or broken. I asked the driver if he knew about the damage he could have caused. His response was this was how he tied down HD. Just make sure before using these shippers take pictures and document any scratches or damage when they pick up the bike and when they deliver them.

Federal

We have used Federal in the past and they are great. I didn't know I could just ship three bikes ( last two times was 7 or more ) but it looks like everything is up in the air right now anyway. Might just end up riding out west ( burning up a set of tires) and back after a week.
We have also used Keyboard in the past with good results.

Back