Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery- what's out there?

Have used Odyssey batteries for 12 years on several bikes including 3 AirHeads and had not used a charger on any of them, until this year.
    7 years was the minimum lifespan on 1 of them.

I moto camp regularly year round, along the coast and low desert in winter and at high elevations summertime. Temps have been as low as 25 F (that wasn't fun) so I replace them at 7 years regardless of how they test.

All of the bikes charging systems are stock.

Battery technology evolves and I will probably try a different type battery than agm in my Yamaha the next time I replace it.

Bill
    Last edited by tanker4me; 03-13-2020 at 03:26 AM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

I'm shopping for a new battery... R1150R.

The first Odyssey I installed lasted 7.5 years. The next 2... Barely made it to the 2 year mark, complete failure, unrcoverable both times and left me stranded road side....

Happened today. Called in BMW MOA roadside assist for a tow Not doing Odyssey (pc680) again. Ran it up to AutoZone because it was still within the 2 year warranty... And got a $20 pro rated credit. Nothing in store that would fit... So shopping online for anything but Odyssey that I can have delivered before next weekend.

PS. Always on charger (Odyssey branded) when not in use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by insanehussain View Post
    I'm shopping for a new battery... R1150R.

The first Odyssey ......... The next 2... Barely made it to the 2 year mark, complete failure, unrcoverable both times and left me stranded road side....

Happened today. Called in BMW MOA roadside assist for a tow Not doing Odyssey (pc680) again. Ran it up to AutoZone because it was still within the 2 year warranty... And got a $20 pro rated credit. Nothing in store that would fit... So shopping online for anything but Odyssey that I can have delivered before next weekend.

YUASA YT19BL-BS

AGM battery. Ships dry with acid pack so battery is totally fresh.
    Last edited by m_stock10506; 05-26-2020 at 11:55 PM.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    YUASA YT19BL-BS

AGM battery. Ships dry with acid pack so battery if totally fresh.
    Thanks - That's exactly what I ended up ordering last night

Amazon has is it kisted for $84... But no option to have in hand before this upcoming weekend so ordered same from local batteries plus (for $20 more) store for pickup in the hope that I have a shot of not losing out a riding weekend... Riding season is way too short in Minnesota

JohnWC
    Looks like the decision has been made on the choice of battery, but I will add my thoughts for future readers. I put an Odyssey 680 in my 1100 a few years back. It started it, but seemed to be pretty touchy. It was supposed to have a special charger (which I bought), it had to constantly be on that charger, and I often got the dreaded alternate blinking ABS code when starting it. I finally took it out and put in the Yuasa people have mentioned. Seems to work fine, it was cheaper, and no adapters were needed for hook up. The most interesting part was that before switching, I called my local BMW dealership. They said they only use/sell the Yuasa now, that they had too many problems with the Odyssey batteries. I agreed.

I've had so-so luck with Westco from the Boneyard. They state a 1 year no questions asked warranty. I had one fail prematurely, Boneyard had record of purchase and asked for photo of Battery. New one was delivered in 2 days, no questions asked. I greatly appreciate that level of customer service and tend to reward any vendor for same. FWIW, the replacement has been in the bike for 3 years, parked in a carport through Pennsylvania winters always on an Accumate charger also from the Boneyard. I have no affiliation to the Boneyard, but as I said, they been berry-berry good to me!

Agree on the BeemerBoneyard tip. Routinely order from them.... Great customer service and very fast shipping. They just didn't carry Yuasa.

My research led me to the Yuasa; particularly attracted to the idea that it ships dry and therefore fresher. Not sure if there's technical merit to this or if this has more to do with shipping constraints. The other point of interest was that sizing was closer to stock, with built-in plastic covers for the terminals.... While the Odyssey fits in a R1150R, it is taller than stock, putting the terminals way too close to the metal tank. I had to fashion and ziptie some plastic over the +ve terminal... And manage loss of room for an aftermarket accessory fuse box.

It's scheduled for delivery today. And also comes with a year warranty. Will see how long it lasts... Can't find much relevant info on this front.

The original/stock exide gel battery gave decent service life (I think 4+ years) and gave plenty of warning when it's time was up... Slow to crank. Same with my first Odyssey... Slow to crank 7+ years into its service.

The last 2 Odyssey were sudden failures on the road. With no early warning/ indication. Both times I had stopped for a pee break only to return to a bike that wouldn't start, roadside.

Hoping the Yuasa has decent service life and fair warning when it's end is close by.... And still wonder why both the last 2 Odyssey's failed the way they did, not to mention their very short lifespans.

I have no clue as to shipping regulations, but Boneyard won't/can't ship a wet Westco outside the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by insanehussain View Post
    Agree on the BeemerBoneyard tip. Routinely order from them.... Great customer service and very fast shipping. They just didn't carry Yuasa.

My research led me to the Yuasa; particularly attracted to the idea that it ships dry and therefore fresher. Not sure if there's technical merit to this or if this has more to do with shipping constraints. The other point of interest was that sizing was closer to stock, with built-in plastic covers for the terminals.... While the Odyssey fits in a R1150R, it is taller than stock, putting the terminals way too close to the metal tank. I had to fashion and ziptie some plastic over the +ve terminal... And manage loss of room for an aftermarket accessory fuse box.

It's scheduled for delivery today. And also comes with a year warranty. Will see how long it lasts... Can't find much relevant info on this front.

..............snip.......
    Hoping the Yuasa has decent service life and fair warning when it's end is close by.... And still wonder why both the last 2 Odyssey's failed the way they did, not to mention their very short lifespans.

My YUASA has been in my R1100RT for 2.5 years. Great performance so far. In the RT with the ABS low voltage test I donít usually keep a battery more than 3 years. This YUASA, I might keep longer if it keeps it up. AGM batteries are more prone to sudden failure than wet cell, donít know why. Most will eventually fail slowly and give plenty of warning. In my Airheads, I run an AGM for 5 or 6 years and then just replace them before failure. Bad things happen to the whole electrical system when you try to run a battery down to the last possible day.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by paed View Post
    I have no clue as to shipping regulations, but Boneyard won't/can't ship a wet Westco outside the USA.
    Might have something to do with shipping regulations.