• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Redlined by accident today during break-in 250 Mile

Zwniana

Hi all. Had a thought today. During break-in period (currently 250 miles on F800GS) i tried to avoid quick turn and downshifted not realizing i downshifted to 1st gear and redlined it but quickly pulled in the clutch. Although I dont think redlining one or twice would cause any isse (or so i hope), I wondered, wouldnt that be good for the seal to red line one or twice when engine is warm? or avoid redline all together?

Every motorcycle I have owned saw redline within 100 miles of new. As long as the engine is warmed up, no harm.

Elsewhere somewhere here is a post linking to an article on what data is stored on new bikes that is available to BMW. The example given is a bike that had an engine issue but when interrogated the stored data indicated that the angle sensor on the bike had recorded that the bike had been on a steep incline for an extended period. The claim was denied because an extended wheelie had resulted in oil starvation.

I am not suggesting that hitting the red line during break in does any damage. I am suggesting that if the data collected at the initial service indicates a failure to follow break in procedures there is a possibility that such info could be used to deny a claim.

Big Brother is watching.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hi all. Had a thought today. During break-in period (currently 250 miles on F800GS) i tried to avoid quick turn and downshifted not realizing i downshifted to 1st gear and redlined it but quickly pulled in the clutch. Although I dont think redlining one or twice would cause any isse (or so i hope), I wondered, wouldnt that be good for the seal to red line one or twice when engine is warm? or avoid redline all together?

Wouldn’t even give it a second thought. These bikes have rev-limiters in them so going beyond spec is rather well protected. While I don’t recommend twisting the throttle fully on in first gear, if you did, you would start to hear the engine cutting out due to the rev-limiter.
Enjoy your ride.
OM

Wouldn’t even give it a second thought. These bikes have rev-limiters in them so going beyond spec is rather well protected. While I don’t recommend twisting the throttle fully on in first gear, if you did, you would start to hear the engine cutting out due to the rev-limiter.
Enjoy your ride.
OM

ahh, not exactly. rev limiters only work while accelerating. they are electronic and cut fuel or ignition to keep the engine from reving higher.

downshift overrev's are MECHANICAL. there is nothing that will keep the engine from overreving this way. drop it in first and pop the clutch when going too fast and the engine will rev way beyond redline. many engines have been blown up this way. in the BMW car world these are called "money shifts".

for OP...when you did the downshift overrev, exactly how fast did the engine spin? redline or tach needle pegged? most modern ECU's record overrev incidents. the dealer may be able to read it.

ahh, not exactly. rev limiters only work while accelerating. they are electronic and cut fuel or ignition to keep the engine from reving higher.

downshift overrev's are MECHANICAL. there is nothing that will keep the engine from overreving this way. drop it in first and pop the clutch when going too fast and the engine will rev way beyond redline. many engines have been blown up this way. in the BMW car world these are called "money shifts".

for OP...when you did the downshift overrev, exactly how fast did the engine spin? redline or tach needle pegged? most modern ECU's record overrev incidents. the dealer may be able to read it.

If the OP had mentioned that the severe down-shift had locked the rear wheel, I would have answered differently.
OM

I replied yesterday with a similar response but then deleted it when I wasn't exactly sure if the OP downshifted and then accelerated or just downshifted and over revved.

In either event, ride and enjoy the bike.

Sounds like the bike over revved because he accidentally downshifted to first when going too fast for first gear.

i tried to avoid quick turn and downshifted not realizing i downshifted to 1st gear and redlined it

Way back when :gerg I was pulling mean downshifts with my Honda CB 100. Not understanding the possibilities of engine damage using the engine to lock the rear wheel, it afforded me the opportunity to learn how to replace the exhaust valve that was unhappy with “sudden stop” of parts in motion. :eek
OM

Went from third to second then by accident went to first although meant to go back to third. Once I saw it redline high I pulled clutch in. Maybe 30mph

Thank you all for your advice. At this point we wait and see what my dummy self did ;)

Absent any clanking, grinding, or other distasteful noises I would be fairly certain that this did no damage at all. These engines are not as fragile as we tend to think.

Breakin

I was told by a dealer that BMW just runs new bikes at max throttle and if they don’t blow up off it goes. In aviation the “breakin” period is only to seat the rings. They suggest full power all the time. These days breaking in a engine is pointless as BMW has nitrated cylinders.

If the OP had mentioned that the severe down-shift had locked the rear wheel, I would have answered differently.
OM

Sounds like the bike over revved because he accidentally downshifted to first when going too fast for first gear.

No rev limiter will save the OP from that... as mentioned, he over-rev mechanically... so many engines that have gone out like that... valves can't take that beating...

Looks like the OP should go out and buy a lotto ticket if the bike is still running fine.

Back