• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

310GS for taller riders

I'm age 59, 6'1", with a 34" inseam. I own a 1200GS, which I love for touring on pavement, and will be keeping it. I'm looking for a second bike to use for forest service roads, gravel, and some tamer sections of BDRs. For my non-paved skills, the 1200 is just bigger than I want for longer stretches of non-paved. Recently demo'd the 310 at our local dealer. Liked lots of things -- fuel injection, abs and tubeless tires...and I was impressed by the power of the little engine. However, ergonomically the cockpit is just to small for me. Had the pleasure of visiting with Paul and Voni at a rally, and am sold on the concept of smaller. I've owned a 700GS, but every seat I put on it still sloped too far forward, and its no much lighter than the 1200. I'm considering the Versys 300, but not thrilled that it has tubes. Has anyone with long legs found a way to fit the 310? If I have to have tubes, how about a Dakar or Sertao. May wait to look at the KTM 390 when in arrives? Appreciate everyone's thoughts

I suspect that a set of 2 inch Rox Risers bringing the bars straight up or even up and slightly forward would do what you need on the G310GS.

Rox Risers on a 310GS

I suspect that a set of 2 inch Rox Risers bringing the bars straight up or even up and slightly forward would do what you need on the G310GS.

Paul, I tried the Rox Risers on my 310GS. I couldn’t get the top bridge to clamp tight enough. So I used a 25mm riser kit.

I’m your age, height, inseam and 36” sleeve length

I'm age 59, 6'1", with a 34" inseam. I own a 1200GS, which I love for touring on pavement, and will be keeping it. I'm looking for a second bike to use for forest service roads, gravel, and some tamer sections of BDRs. For my non-paved skills, the 1200 is just bigger than I want for longer stretches of non-paved. Recently demo'd the 310 at our local dealer. Liked lots of things -- fuel injection, abs and tubeless tires...and I was impressed by the power of the little engine. However, ergonomically the cockpit is just to small for me. Had the pleasure of visiting with Paul and Voni at a rally, and am sold on the concept of smaller. I've owned a 700GS, but every seat I put on it still sloped too far forward, and its no much lighter than the 1200. I'm considering the Versys 300, but not thrilled that it has tubes. Has anyone with long legs found a way to fit the 310? If I have to have tubes, how about a Dakar or Sertao. May wait to look at the KTM 390 when in arrives? Appreciate everyone's thoughts

I’ve had an R150GS, F650 Dakar, F800GS, and now a G310GS. My 310 came with a Sargent seat built on the stock pan. That helped with the knee angle. I put 25mm bar risers on and it works for me. Now I’m just riding the wheel off of it.

Paul, I tried the Rox Risers on my 310GS. I couldn’t get the top bridge to clamp tight enough. So I used a 25mm riser kit.

Interesting. I took them off my Kawasaki Sherpa when I sold it and put them on my 310 and they work just fine.

I’ve had an R150GS, F650 Dakar, F800GS, and now a G310GS. My 310 came with a Sargent seat built on the stock pan. That helped with the knee angle. I put 25mm bar risers on and it works for me. Now I’m just riding the wheel off of it.

Jim, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your height and inseam?

I had a knock off of the rox risers and did not like how much handlebar room they took up. I did not have to change cables, but it was tight.

I replaced them with these:

https://www.protaper.com/product/105/universal-solid-handlebar-mounts

These take up a lot less room but only rise the bars by 3/4 inch.

If you want more leg room I might suggest the Russell Day Long seat. They are kind of pricey but it sure sits well. Also raises you up about an inch.

Made me have to buy a shorter shock. Damn:)

If your interested in trying the rox riser knock offs - PM me.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I sold my DR650 when I bought my G310GS. :brow

I did the opposite. :whistle

In either event, getting back to the OP's thoughts, the 310GS is indeed a nice little bike. If you want to ride it the way you described I think there are much better choices out there, but YMMV. One thing in the 310's favor is the affordable price to get into one. It's a decent package for the money.

Paul, what was the outcome on Voni’s blown engine?

I think Paul and Voni reported one place or another that the bike dropped a valve. BMW replaced the motor and the exhaust because of debris in the exhaust.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Back