Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Charging system

@pglaves, You win, congratulations. You're a bigger dick than I am. With over 17k posts it's safe to say I'm not the only one that has come to this conclusion.

Duane
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by gunnert View Post
    @pglaves, You win, congratulations. You're a bigger dick than I am. With over 17k posts it's safe to say I'm not the only one that has come to this conclusion.

Duane
    I actually intended to apologize. I was being snarky and I admit it. I suspect that the surging is not being caused by a drag on the alternator but rather by the pulsing interfering with the ECU. You might try turning the heated jacket controller all the way up, or connecting the garment directly without the controller. With mine, at least, this is full on without pulsing, so you might see if this smooths out the idle.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hey Paul, read post 24!

You got snarky with me once, when I first got on this forum. That was before I got to know you a bit. now I realize you just get that way once in a while, like most of us old guys!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

We haven't seen what his actual voltage measurements were under the various conditions (and only a scope, not a voltmeter, would reveal spiking), but it's very interesting indeed that pulse width modulation (as RadioFlyer brought up) could be the root cause - the factory certainly cannot design to accommodate every type of accessory out there.

One might think that the pulse going on and off continuously (depending on the heat setting) might create the varying load (and thus the surging), but part of a battery's job is to dampen this type of variation, it's a big capacitor.

Getting a bit technical: If PWM is the culprit, I suspect that it's more likely to be the pulse edges (the rise and fall of the pulse) that could create the issue: these transitions contain a lot of higher-frequency harmonics (called a Fourier series) that first, the battery cannot dampen, and second, these harmonics could also easily be radiating, or be physically conducted to, the bike's computer and/or ignition subsystem, confusing things.

Remember that when the Oilheads came out, the right-side spark plug wire was causing direct interference to the O2 sensor and confusing the computer, and wiring had to be re-routed.

So, it appears that isolating (and/or filtering) the controller power is the way to avoid this.

Happy to hear that my earlier post revealed the PWM controller to be the culprit as opposed to the heated gear load. I agree that of the two modalities that I mentioned the noise introduced by the rapidly rising and falling PWM waveform is the most likely.

So my further suggestion is to try filtering and specifically to apply the same type of filter that has become very common on our electronic devices - the ferrite core or bead.

I would try inserting the bead on the wiring that brings power into the PWM controller as well as the wiring that exits the controller to power the gear.

There are any number of ferrite cores and beads available in Amazon. Without seeing the actual wiring we are speaking of my suggestion would be to purchase a few of the cores that split in half to facilitate insertion of the wires. As is commonly done in such applications I would do one loop through the core if wire length and space permits - otherwise just get the wires passing through the core.

I am sure that one could find YouTube videos to illustrate.

Hope this works. Keep us informed of how you make out as this is a good case study.

Cover the ECU with a top-hat made of tinfoil.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Remote controller

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    Happy to hear that my earlier post revealed the PWM controller to be the culprit as opposed to the heated gear load. I agree that of the two modalities that I mentioned the noise introduced by the rapidly rising and falling PWM waveform is the most likely.

So my further suggestion is to try filtering and specifically to apply the same type of filter that has become very common on our electronic devices - the ferrite core or bead.

I would try inserting the bead on the wiring that brings power into the PWM controller as well as the wiring that exits the controller to power the gear.

There are any number of ferrite cores and beads available in Amazon. Without seeing the actual wiring we are speaking of my suggestion would be to purchase a few of the cores that split in half to facilitate insertion of the wires. As is commonly done in such applications I would do one loop through the core if wire length and space permits - otherwise just get the wires passing through the core.

I am sure that one could find YouTube videos to illustrate.

Hope this works. Keep us informed of how you make out as this is a good case study.

How would you install your “fix” as most K1600’s go wireless control and use a remote controller mounted on the handlebar?

Quote Originally Posted by d martin View Post
    How would you install your “fix” as most K1600’s go wireless control and use a remote controller mounted on the handlebar?
    Well if you read the OP this thread is about problems caused by the installation of aftermarket heated gear controllers and the filtering gets applied to it to reduce the emitted EMI.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Maybe we need more little tin-foil hats to cover sensitive electronic devices.