Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What Criteria would MOA use to possibly cancel rally due to Corona Virus?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Seems like some “panic” here in Mass. Just went food shopping at the local wholesale club where I do the bulk of my (food) shopping. Many of the “bays” were picked clean.
    One of the weirdest things was the “goth” looking individual that had wrapped their sweatshirt around their neck to cover their mouth and nose. Complete with black rubber gloves, this person was waiting for a carton of Marlboros.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

So, even though the Corona Virus doesn't affect the GI tract why are so many idiots stocking up on toilet paper?

Ski

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    A rally without rally goers...... easy to get good seats at the entertainment and beer garden.

As of now, I have not heard of any events being canceled here in Montana and there are no reported cases of the virus. My daughter has a neighbor who is self quarantined because he was recently in Italy, but that is the only such thing I am aware of.
    Probably a great chance to clean up on raffles too.

Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems like some “panic” here in Mass. Just went food shopping at the local wholesale club where I do the bulk of my (food) shopping. Many of the “bays” were picked clean.
    One of the weirdest things was the “goth” looking individual that had wrapped their sweatshirt around their neck to cover their mouth and nose. Complete with black rubber gloves, this person was waiting for a carton of Marlboros.

OM
    OK ... THAT is funny!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    So, even though the Corona Virus doesn't affect the GI tract why are so many idiots stocking up on toilet paper?

Ski
    They are anticipating two weeks, or a month, or 6 weeks of self social isolation - avoiding going out among the masses. And they don't want to run out.

Or they read on the internet they should stock up.

Anticipating a shortage, a newspaper in Australia printed 8 blank pages except for cut lines to be used in the absence of a roll of the real stuff.

Mea culpa. No panic, but! We have a several month supply of prescription meds, a two to three month supply of food (some of the meals would be really weird though), more than a year's supply of water in our catchment tanks, and a few gallons of gasoline.

Our Roadtrek camper van has a full 30 gallon gas tank and a generator that would run many weeks in short bursts as needed to keep the fridge cold and use the internet. We have more than a year's supply of propane in the tank, including enough to heat all next winter. Oh, and toilet paper.

If the stuff hit the fan, so to speak, we wouldn't need to leave the property for a couple of months at least. Except for beer.

I am a very high risk person to this type of respiratory virus, being 75 years old and having chronic COPD after smoking multiple packs a day for 40 years, even though I quit smoking 18 years ago. I intend to totally avoid crowds until this settles down. Oh, and wash my hands a lot. We do have lots of soap too.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-12-2020 at 04:02 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Washington

You should try living in western Wa now. New RULES just in the last few days!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    They are anticipating two weeks, or a month, or 6 weeks of self social isolation - avoiding going out among the masses. And they don't want to run out.

Or they read on the internet they should stock up.

Anticipating a shortage, a newspaper in Australia printed 8 blank pages except for cut lines to be used in the absence of a roll of the real stuff.

Mea culpa. No panic, but! We have a several month supply of prescription meds, a two to three month supply of food (some of the meals would be really weird though), more than a year's supply of water in our catchment tanks, and a few gallons of gasoline.

Our Roadtrek camper van has a full 30 gallon gas tank and a generator that would run many weeks in short bursts as needed to keep the fridge cold and use the internet. We have more than a year's supply of propane in the tank, including enough to heat all next winter. Oh, and toilet paper.

If the stuff hit the fan, so to speak, we wouldn't need to leave the property for a couple of months at least. Except for beer.

I am a very high risk person to this type of respiratory virus, being 75 years old and having chronic COPD after smoking multiple packs a day for 40 years, even though I quit smoking 18 years ago. I intend to totally avoid crowds until this settles down. Oh, and wash my hands a lot. We do have lots of soap too.
    Maybe Uber will deliver beer.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post

Ski
    Because........the job is not over until the paperwork is done. 💩
    om
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We always have a good supply of toilet paper & when that runs out I have 40 years of Owners News I could use.
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

Time to lay in a year's supply of an assortment of fine whisky; purely for medicinal purposes, of course. Luckily, er ah, unfortunately I often have medical emergencies. It is our duty to be prepared for what may come and I always try to do my duty.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

OM
    Droplets from coughs can live on surfaces for >1 week, so rubber gloves in public and discarding them, then hand washing is probably a good idea.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Maybe Uber will deliver beer.
    Safeway will, as will Instacart, if you have those available.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Too soon?

IMG_2034.png
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    Droplets from coughs can live on surfaces for >1 week, so rubber gloves in public and discarding them, then hand washing is probably a good idea.
    My point was the Marlboro’s.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I called the MOA office earlier today and asked about the Weekend Getaways, specifically Fontana coming up towards the end of April. As of yet no decision has been made.

The NCAA hasn't (that I've seen) yet called off the men's and women's basket ball tourneys. However, the ACC, Big10, Big12, Pac12, and perhaps other conferences have cancelled their men's conference tournaments. I expect that the decision has been made by these conferences for the NCAA.

The NBA has suspended their season. MLB and the NHL are postponing their play by varying lengths of time.

Many businesses in NC are now asking workers, where possible, to work at home.

I had a great ride yesterday in the foothills and mountains of NC and Virginia. Some of the fellers that I ride with are in their 80s. I expect that henceforth we may reconsider the wisdom of our meeting at a local McDonalds before riding somewhere for breakfast and more riding. Perhaps we will eat at home then go riding for a bit together. We could keep our helmets on at breakfast (with faceshields down), but the logistics of eating would be difficult. That is a shame, 'cause some of the joints we visit have right good country ham and I enjoy hearing the stories (which don't necessarily have to be completely true ). Sort of like a little rally environment.

I reckon we will see how things develop.