Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What Criteria would MOA use to possibly cancel rally due to Corona Virus?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Just in-
    A malicious website pretending to be the Coronavirus live map from Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the web. The website is a ......virus update kinda deal. The site will deliver malware.
    While I advise skipping it, if you are looking for info, launch a/the map from a trusted source.
    Skip the shortcuts.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I nudged the rally committee to let us know what they’re thinking. We’ll see if they send out anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Just in-
    A malicious website pretending to be the Coronavirus live map from Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the web. The website is a ......virus update kinda deal. The site will deliver malware.
    While I advise skipping it, if you are looking for info, launch a/the map from a trusted source.
    Skip the shortcuts.

OM
    Well then, it's a good thing that certain important people have had so much trouble trying to access the JHU site. But posting the above without citing a source is exactly the sort of thing that makes the general panic about Covid-19 worse, not better.

Source, please?

Best,

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    One must be careful in quoting mortality rates. As a percentage of "confirmed" cases I've no reason to doubt the above quoted numbers, however, these are only "confirmed" cases. What about all cases in which the infection only resulted in a very mild case mimicking a cold or mild case where it mimicked the flu or cases where people have been exposed but did not get sick at all? Chances are very high these cases have gone unreported and unconfirmed. To correctly assess the "mortality rate" ALL cases must be counted and factored in, remember if only one person died and they were the only one tested, mortality rate would be 100%.

Connectivity of our world today is a double edged sword, fortunately useful information spreads rapidly, unfortunately so does misinformation.
    Or, if as is the case in the US, the testing rate is woefully low the number of "confirmed case" is not really related to the actual occurrences. A government that seems focused on keeping the confirmed cases low as opposed to identifying the actual rate is actually setting itself up for the possibility of huge increases once, if ever, testing is actually deployed at statistically significant rates.

Just my $0.02

Ski

Rally

To close or not to close Rally. I think the 6,000+- BMW riders at the rally in Great Falls is just a small blip compared to the 600,000+- riders at Sturgis 1.5 months later, if the all great and powerful OZ thinks that the Sturgis rally “might” need to be canceled than I do not think our rally has a snowballs chance in hell of going on.

In North Carolina they have declared a "state of emergency" which simply means they can get funding easier, allow hospitals to operate in a different mode and better manage the situation. BUT ... they are suggesting folks with known health issues or the very elderly avoid large gatherings. But they also said folks should "go on with their lives" and just use caution like washing hands and using sanitizer. They are not cancelling the ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro which I believe will be about 10,000 fans.

Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    To close or not to close Rally. I think the 6,000+- BMW riders at the rally in Great Falls is just a small blip compared to the 600,000+- riders at Sturgis 1.5 months later, if the all great and powerful OZ thinks that the Sturgis rally “might” need to be canceled than I do not think our rally has a snowballs chance in hell of going on.
    It seems to me that all this speculation about the MOA rally is fruitless at this time. We are over three months out, and about all anyone seems able to say is it's likely the virus situation will get worse before it gets better, but no one can say how bad or how long. I'm still planning on going, and have confidence that the MOA will make the right call if and when that time comes.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    It seems to me that all this speculation about the MOA rally is fruitless at this time. We are over three months out, and about all anyone seems able to say is it's likely the virus situation will get worse before it gets better, but no one can say how bad or how long. I'm still planning on going, and have confidence that the MOA will make the right call if and when that time comes.
    I was hoping someone would step in with logic at some point. I'd shake your hand but this is 2020 so ... Live Long and Prosper.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

I can say with complete confidence that the Kissing Booth is canceled.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post

Will they replace it with a "fist bump" booth?
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    They are not cancelling the ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro which I believe will be about 10,000 fans.
    Of course not. Too much money at stake to do that, even if a few people or a few hundred people get sick.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Just a bit ago, the NCAA said the tournament games would be without fans.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Bluenoser
    If and when it gets cancelled, I would think it will be either the State of Montana or the City of Great Falls doing the cancellation of large events like the MOA Rally. I'm not sure of the process in the US. If it gets really bad than countries start closing their borders.

The big concern with this one is when it gets into the community transmitting phase. The great majority of cases in my country are from travellers returning home, but there are now a few cases where the disease was transmitted from persons in close contact with the affected person. Once the virus gets to this stage it is a lot harder to contain and will quickly spread throughout your population. There is lots of good info on the various government sites.

This virus originates in the animal world and it has been transferred into the human population. The object is to get it back into the animal world. Nobody currently has any idea how long this virus is going to run. If one remembers back to the SARS incidents a few years ago, it came in with a bang and then left shortly thereafter. It had higher mortality rates than the current Covid19, which seem to be in the 2 % range.

One thing for certain is that if you have community transmitting in your area, any gathers of large groups of people, like schools etc will all start to be shut down. We all should know more by the end of March.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1986 K100RT

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Just a bit ago, the NCAA said the tournament games would be without fans.
    A rally without rally goers...... easy to get good seats at the entertainment and beer garden.

As of now, I have not heard of any events being canceled here in Montana and there are no reported cases of the virus. My daughter has a neighbor who is self quarantined because he was recently in Italy, but that is the only such thing I am aware of.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana