• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New K1200LT Starter

saddleman

Enjoy The Ride
I have been having problems for awhile on my 2000 LT with 148,000 miles on it cranking slow when it was cold in the morning. I put a new Odyssey battery in it from my other LT and it did not help at all. I bought a new starter from Discount Starter & Alternator and it now cranks the engine over like it has the spark plugs removed when it's cold or hot.

Attachments

• New LT Starter 002.jpg
    New LT Starter 002.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 129
  • New LT Starter 003.jpg
    New LT Starter 003.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 130
  • New LT Starter 004.jpg
    New LT Starter 004.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 128
That's a difference :thumb
Starters do get old and cranky. Usually means more current draw than needed. I have a rather cool Lay-on amp gauge from blue point...now a thing of the past.
Added to the "Tag Cloud" Dave.
Thanks.
OM

Starter

Don’t forget to check those heavy starter wire for corrosion too. $150 for a part that fits a BMW, what a deal!

Just checked, BMW official starter is $813!

Incredible. Is BMW working with the health care industry to set these prices?

My new starter for my R1100 just arrived yesterday from Discount Starter. Looks great. $53.00 with free shipping. If it had been $813 the bike would have been up for sale.

In addition to what Dave said about slow cranking, I fixed a friends 99 LT with a new starter that was only $53 and looked just like the one Dave had for $150. I knew it would be a Chinese product (bought before COVID 19) but from a DB electric in Knoxville, TN. I opened it up to check the quality of the internal parts and was satisfied it was worth installing (have to remove the transmission to install a starter on an LT). I also bench ran it 2 dozen times to make sure there was no infant mortality. It solved the slow crank issue on the 99.

Now the rest of the story. I conducted a postmortem on the old starter as it had progressed to a NO-CRANK at the time I got the bike for repair. The ground brush had become disconnected from the brush plate. I suspect the spot weld was not done correctly and the joint would heat up each time it was started causing the braided wire to begin loosing strands and over time it just opened up. The brush length was at least 1/2 of new but the commutator was very cupped and damaged.
CIMG6006.JPG

Back