• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800 Chain Wear

Dugh

Hey All,

I have a 2015 F800R with 14,600 miles. looks like I need a new "final drive". I was just curious about the mileage folks are getting out of the stock chain and sprockets for the F800 Bikes. I understand wear will be dependent on many variables (maintenance, riding conditions, load...etc) just taking a leisure survey. If you feel like responding just state year, model and mileage on original chain and sprockets before replacement. If you feel like providing your maintenance practices and average riding conditions feel free to do so. Thanks in advance.

Spring is just around the corner folks, get ready for FUN!

Dug

There is some info in the F-Twin index- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?78486-The-F-Twin-Index

At the bottom left of the page you will see the "Tag Cloud" search box. As soon as you start typing, many "chain" threads show up.

Personally, on my F800GS, I'm thinking at around 20K. If the bike is being thrashed in the desert, I would expect a bit shorter life. These "new" o-ring chains are pretty durable. If I went to 20K, I would probably do the sprockets as well. In the dirt bike days, with severe use, the sprockets would develop quite a "wear" hook to them.
OM

I try to provide advice in a manner that will give a poster information that will allow the poster to make an informed decision.
OM

Chain and sprockets should always be replaced at the same time.

I've heard that and don't necessarily believe it for bikes used primarily on pavement. On our F650 Funduro bikes I laid an old sprocket on top of a new sprocket and the tooth wear was almost impossible to find so I put the old one back on. The second chain lasted just as long as the first chain. My approach is to actually examine the sprockets. If wear is evident by all means replace the sprockets. As an added aside, note that the front sprocket with about 1/3 as many teeth will theoretically wear faster than the rear sprocket, but in fact it also depends on the hardness of the sprocket material which may not be the same at all.

I've had the same experience as Mr. Glaves. In the last 10 years and over 100,000 km on chain drive sport bikes I have yet to replace a sprocket. In comparison with the other folks with whom I ride, I find that proper lubrication with a quality chain lube makes all the difference in the world. It cushions the impact between chain roller and sprocket.

Back