• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 cruiser

I've been riding BMW since the late 70s. Along the way, I've owned Hondas and a Ducati.

I like a little spice in my riding life. The BMWs are nice and I've got 3 in the garage.

Love the slash/2. What is it?

Here I am 53 years ago, in 1967, riding my first motorcycle, a 1966 R60/2:

first-bmw.jpg

I still have one similar to that bike:

Iowa-800-1.jpg

Exactly (and congratulations on your excellent taste). I've had three Harleys and now on my fourth BMW, but nothing else. My brothers only have Harleys, and my parents have only had Hondas.

If I were a dealer, I would take everyone test-driving an R18 and I would have them ride a 1600B at the same time. I would expect someone looking for a cruising style bike would want at least one of them. No matter what, I think the R18 is going to be good for BMW because it will generate foot-traffic in their stores.

Thank you. You currently evidence excellent taste. Your parents do too. Your brothers? No comment. :)

Love the slash/2. What is it?

Here I am 53 years ago, in 1967, riding my first motorcycle, a 1966 R60/2:

first-bmw.jpg

I still have one similar to that bike:

Iowa-800-1.jpg
'67 R60/2. Got the original bill of sale and all its maintenance records for its entire life. I love riding it.

But, at the same time, a blast out on the 916 is an entirely different riding experience on one of the world's greatest bikes. Started riding on Hondas, then moved to street bikes when my dad bought a '77 R75/7 in like 1978. I'll always have an airhead in the garage and am pretty in love with my CS LE.

I like some variety in my diet. :D

fresh video of the R18

<iframe width="926" height="521" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/80wnzMeqX90" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

I am so impressed with the marketing expertise on this Forum. I wish BMWAG would only listen to the wisdom here. That way they would stop wasting money on silly new models, so they could cut the price on the models the experts here endorse. :scratch

PGlaves, I'm right there with you. The attitudes of some BMW club members (both car and bike) are one of the things that made my decision to join a little harder. It's been 7 years since I was a member of the BMWCCA, and now I remember why I left. Same old same old. (Just look at the feedback on the new (admittedly not to my taste) grills on the cars.)

After having purchased my first BMW moto in June, I can say it's this attitude that is a big turn-off for many potential members and makes me re-think renewing my membership next year.

If the forum is able to be read publicly, I hope most people miss this thread - it was a little depressing reading this. These same attitudes are a big reason why H-D is struggling, as they caved to the pressure of these attitudes and kept making the same thing over and over until they were so far gone they HAD to do something outside their norm. (Livewire, ADV version). And now there is a recall on the LiveWire.

If you guys want this club to survive, you are going to have to be more accepting. Otherwise, you guys will be the last of the club, and it will dwindle and die with you.

It's ok if you don't like the new stuff, but the new stuff is coming anyway. Standing still doesn't get you anywhere...

Sorry about the rant, not having a good day, and all the negativity in this thread twigged a nerve.

BMW has added another R18 Model to the lineup. Here's what Wes Fleming posted on the main BMW MOA website:

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 6.31.29 AM.png

"R 18 CLASSIC
The R 18 Classic adds a windshield, auxiliary LED lights and vintage-looking leather-like saddlebags to create a basic touring model. The Classic features a 16" front wheel, different from the First Edition's 19" front. Both wheels are tubeless, with BMW's well-known "outside the bead" wire spokes. While the R 18 runs a 120/70 radial or bias-ply 19 tire on the front wheel, the Classic runs a 130/90 B 16 up front. With two 16" bias-ply tires on it, the Classic will no doubt behave much more like a traditional cruiser on the open road.

The centerpiece of the R 18 Classic is, of course, BMW's largest boxer engine ever, a massive 1802 CC beast putting out 91 crank horsepower and 110 foot-pounds of torque. Suspension and electronic features and specifications are unchanged from the initial version of the R 18.

The Classic features straight mufflers rather than the First Edition's fishtail mufflers. Because it's important for a motorcycle aimed at the touring market, the R 18 Classic also comes standard with cruise control. Also on the Classic are rider floorboards and a heel-and-toe shifter.

Riders can now get an R 18 or R 18 Classic in either standard, basic black or First Edition livery, which adds chrome accents and BMW's iconic thick-thin pinstriping to the fuel tank and rear fender."

Wes said:
Both wheels are tubeless, with BMW's well-known "outside the bead" wire spokes.

The spokes look like they attach to the center of the rim in the pictures I have seen.
Looks like a tube type wheel on the Classic.

I agree with this comment above.

I would like to take ride an this beast. But buy one? No. The windshield is stuck in one place and the bike wil likely be too heavy. Besides I am an RT guy.

I did ride one last week. Not my "cup of tea", but I think it's cool and is a very good, very competent motorcycle. I enjoyed my half hour test ride through the streets of Plano Texas. Riding a bike that pulls HARD from 1500 RPM is quite enjoyable. BMW is not targeting RT guys like us, or most current BMW riders. They are targeting riders who love a cruiser style bike who are not loyal to Harley. Who knows, maybe they will peel off some loyal Harley riders. I don't know how it's working in the US, but in Germany, the R18 is already one of their best selling models. Yeah, the look does kind scream "Harley" (by design) but it's clearly not a Harley, because, you know, the BOXER.

Finally got to see one and sit on it, no time for a ride.

First thought, it is fat and low. Definitely a cruiser bike. It does have very nice fit and finish. The chrome looks well done and shines. Let's hope it is better quality than the R1200C was. Visually it is VERY wide, and long, with a low slung typical cruiser look. Not bad, if that is your thing.

Here are a few photos. Not that the bike was pretty dusty, so the flash made it look worse than it was.

I am 5'7" with a 28" inseam. Plus I am fat, mostly in the stomach. I actually could sit with my knees bent and flat footed. It has been a long time since I have done that.

You can see that on the right side, with the cylinder further back considerably, my shin hits the intake. Also my knees are pretty high, probably uncomfortably so on a long ride.

The bike is so big that it nearly completely hides my girth. :blush

That is one advantage, I guess.

Anyhow, now that I have seen it in person, I still am not enamored with it. It is nicely made, but lacks the utility of a similarly priced GS or RT.

Jim :brow

... Finally got to see one and sit on it, no time for a ride.

First thought, it is fat and low. Definitely a cruiser bike. It does have very nice fit and finish. The chrome looks well done and shines. Let's hope it is better quality than the R1200C was. Visually it is VERY wide, and long, with a low slung typical cruiser look. Not bad, if that is your thing.

Anyhow, now that I have seen it in person, I still am not enamored with it.

Jim :brow

Jim, this is almost word-for-word my initial assessment when I sat on the bike in my dealership last week. It is a beautiful piece of equipment, but it is big--very big. And long and wide. I felt overwhelmed when I sat on it and had no interest in ever riding one, but it is beautiful. Sorta like my sense of smallness when I sit in a Suburban or a Humvee.

The dealership folks said it is already a success for them because ... they have only sold two R-18s so far, but have already seen several non-BMW folks in the showroom looking. And one of those non-BMW folks bought a "regular" BMW. Wow!

Three reasons to applaud the R18

For my part, I applaud the R18 for several reasons. First, I think it's a beautiful design which draws deeply from BMW's own historic models. I've shown the R18 and a 1938 R51 below. I think the inspiration for the R18 is obvious right up to the fish-tail mufflers. The thing to remember is that in the 1930's and 1940's most motorcycles had what we call a "cruiser" deign: long with low seat below the tank. Harley and Indian stayed with that look when the rest of the world went with the British look starting in the 1950's. Here's a link to look at historic BMW models you might find interesting: https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/experience/bmw-motorrad-history/bmw-motorrad-archive.html

Secondly, because it's based on traditional BMW designs, I call it a legitimate BMW in all respects. It's the best attempt BMW has made to leverage their legacy to attract the modern rider. Triumph has done this a lot to wide applause.

Thirdly, it just doesn't matter if it is a bike for me, or you. It only matters that it's a BMW for someone who isn't riding one today, and therefore isn't a part of our club and family. If, as a dyed-in-the-wool RS rider, I can have a beer with an S1000RR rider and an R1200C rider and a GS-whatever rider then I can certainly have a beer with an R18 rider and have just as good a conversation about this common passion we share, but most of the world doesn't begin to understand. I would hope that the same could be said of all of us. After all, "we" are all concerned about declining numbers of motorcycle riders, and the shrinking MOA membership, and then here comes something new, exciting, and appealing to many, and the naysayers come out of the woodwork.

Attachments

• 1938 R51.jpg
    1938 R51.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 124
  • R18 left side view.jpg
    R18 left side view.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 120
The R18 may not be a hit until it has “get offah my lawn” pinstriped on the tank :bolt

OM

Not sure I get that. I see this bike appealing as much to very affluent Millennials as Boomers. Maybe to tank labels: "Get offah my lawn!" and "Ok, Boomer." :dance

Fixed that for ya...

The younger generations will like the bike but many of them will by necessity be sticking with a very used airhead or brick-k that’s been stripped and bobbed. Many of the R9T variants go over well with the younger set who have managed to pull together enough money to jump in. Maybe we need a G310 cruiser?
:dance

Best,
DeVern

Not sure I get that. I see this bike appealing as much to Millennials as Boomers. Maybe to tank labels: "Get offah my lawn!" and "Ok, Boomer." :dance

You got it :wave
I hope it does well for BMW. I like that BMW seems to be moving forward with new models :thumb
OM

I like the comparison photos of the R51 and the R18. Even though it would maybe make it look too retro, the R18's oil cooler placement would really benefit from that broad, and protective front fender on the R51.

I like the comparison photos of the R51 and the R18. Even though it would maybe make it look too retro, the R18's oil cooler placement would really benefit from that broad, and protective front fender on the R51.

I see a number of modern styling elements on the R18 - like the bobbed front fender and other places with cleaner lines, which is to be expected, I think.

Back