Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R18 cruiser

Not my cup of tea, but I hope it sells well. In fact, I hope it sells so well that BMW has to open additional U.S. dealerships just to process the additional business.

E.
    Last edited by easy; 03-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.

It really doesn't matter whether or not existing BMW owners like it, or don't like it. The question is, will the normal cruiser buyer like it?

This bike is different than all others in the BMW lineup, it doesn't lend itself well to add-on model development like the R9T either in layout or in engine & performance characteristics. Certainly the R18 is an important "look what we can do" design and development exercise, and BMW has produced such exercises in the past. They will sell a number during the first year or two to current BMW owners who want to taste the cruiser experience. But as a production model expected to carry it's weight in competition with H-D, Indian, etc? I am curious as to how many other non-V-twin big-bore cruisers, besides the K16, have been successful in the cruiser marketplace. I still expect the R18 will walk the same sort of path as the R1200C-- some movie placements to build identity and interest, an initial surge of sales to current customers and a relatively small array of conquest sales, then quickly tapering off to discontinuance of the model. But, as long as the ones they do sell are profitable and helping to subsidize other bikes or motorrad products, I'm all for it.

I can't wait to see the eruption in the forum when BMW introduces a trike model...

Best,

DeVern
    Last edited by GTRider; 03-01-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Cruiser? Sorry, I can’t like it either!
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    ..... I still expect the R18 will walk the same sort of path as the R1200C-- some movie placements to build identity and interest, an initial surge of sales to current customers and a relatively small array of conquest sales, then quickly tapering off to discontinuance of the model.
    I beg to differ.

At the risk of offending some, the R1200C was one of the ugliest motorcycles ever produced - by any manufacturer. BMW learned their lesson and the R18/2 is, in my most humble opinion, a very attractive cruiser bike. I predict steady and impressive sales numbers. Even, perhaps, to those current BMW owners who also own Harley cruisers.

Bring on the trikes!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    But, but, but, if I don't like it nobody should like it. It isn't fair if somebody likes something I don't like. It just isn't fair!
    It would be nice to see this kind of in the Muffler Thread
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

It would have been interesting if we had a forum back in 1980 to see what everyone thought about BMW selling a off-road bike.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It would be nice to see this kind of in the Muffler Thread
    OM
    Indeed, as long as what a person likes and advises others to do is lawful. Which is pretty well absent in the muffler thread.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Indeed, as long as what a person likes and advises others to do is lawful. Which is pretty well absent in the muffler thread.
    We could expand this to driving over the speed limit......probably just as pointless.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

We could expand this to driving over the speed limit......probably just as pointless.
    OM
    I am sitting here grinning as a Cheshire cat because I had already said to myself that I could hardly wait until somebody mentioned speeding.

Along with those other, "go ahead, you won't get caught" things like putting waste oil in the dumpster, pouring stale gasoline down the storm sewer or in the ditch, and of course letting the refrigerant out of your old refrigerator.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Not my cup of tea, but I hope it sells well. In fact, I hope it sells so well that BMW has to open additional U.S. dealerships just to process the additional business.

E.
    I agree with this comment above.

I would like to take ride an this beast. But buy one? No. The windshield is stuck in one place and the bike wil likely be too heavy. Besides I am an RT guy.

Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

I am sitting here grinning as a Cheshire cat because I had already said to myself that I could hardly wait until somebody mentioned speeding.
    I had to wait a bit for things to develop
    It's (IMO) just a part of the human condition to want rules, regulations and black helicopters to pounce on conditions that annoy them........unless it effects them. It's like road rage.....if one is the type to start honking or give the single finger wave in traffic, chances are the driver that committed this (perceived) offense doesn't even know it. The reaction is, most of the time, seen as the first thing that went on.
    Riders with loud pipes- with courtesy, you can remind them to go easy on the throttle when near an "event". Same with your neighbor that bought a riding lawn mower that, due to horsepower speckmanship, runs basically a straight pipe for an exhaust. Ask them, with courtesy, if they could mow a bit later than 07:00 on Sunday morning.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I like the look of retro cruisers. I'd probably spring for a Moto Guzzi 1400 Eldo. I also like the sound of a V-Twin. Just sayin.

Left Coast Rider
    I had to wait a bit for things to develop
    It's (IMO) just a part of the human condition to want rules, regulations and black helicopters to pounce on conditions that annoy them........unless it effects them.
    "Why is everyone who drives slower than you a moron and everyone who drives faster than you a maniac?"

George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    I'd probably spring for a Moto Guzzi 1400 Eldo. I also like the sound of a V-Twin. Just sayin.
    V-twin and at least 3 models of heavy cruisers *with forward-mounted pegs*. If they had a robust dealer network... how do you say “potato-potato” in Italian?

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

[QUOTE=GTRider;1194934]V-twin and at least 3 models of heavy cruisers *with forward-mounted pegs*. If they had a robust dealer network... how do you say “potato-potato” in Italian?

Best,
    DeVern[/QUOTE

Patata Patata Patata.