• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 cruiser

R18

looks like bmw is trying real hard to make a bike that you can't tell is not a Harley......it is not just a "cruiser", it is a Harley wannabee. yuck.

Why is it that people with a hate on about someone or something have to try to get everybody to get on their parade float ? It's not the bke for me. I on the other hand don't need to use an international forum to express, " my " opinion.

For the record... I was born in 1967, and I’ve only rode/owned BMW’s (RT’s). I started riding when I was in diapers, but didn’t start “riding” till I was 41. Also... the R18 is a lovely cruiser BMW offering.

F7547E27-7C97-4E12-9E0C-F0CB83391F16.jpeg

I’m not really a cruiser guy but that motor is sweet. Transmission is really smooth compared to my GS. Takes a little getting used to as far as putting your feet on the pegs.

Hum...had an r1200clc, which was a cruiser bike bmw made. Had a fairing headlight setup only mother could love. Low on hp as I recall but had bottom end pull if I remember right. Problem was, maybe lack of hp, plus the font end on that bike due to the faring was way too heavy in my book. Even dropped it when going to park on a curved parking space cause I could not keep her up. I did like the look, even with the front head lights. Fixed bags I am not a fan of nor as I recall a CD player box taking a lot of the room in a side bag. Problem I see with these new r1800 models is not enough rear suspension. Same issue with the indian model, scout I think, that engine is so sweet yet go over a man hole cover and you can live to regret it. Did just one demo ride on the r1800 so was not looking to pound the rear shock though some reviews mention it as an issue. I live by function over form...maybe I got that right. Don’t care if the engine has a jug hanging out on each side if it works well. Then again r1800 heads are just ‘big boxer’ too the point of asking can opposed jugs get too big? Anyway, all the r1800 rides look nice just wish bmw did not default to ‘draw it so it is what it was’ mind set. It is a styling exercise that focused on recreating history instead of eyeing what makes a motorcycle great then designing from there to draw on historical design elements. And as such it has the limitations in rear travel that per designers at bmw the bmw buyer riding public will accept. Unlike a harely which could use better shocks and performance modes when purchased new, the r1800 line does not have anything to ‘fix’ the lack of rear suspension travel. Granted guess the soft tail and like harleys also have limited rear suspensions one can only do so much with.

Love all the comments, good or bad. The only thing I can add it I wouldn't buy one, but I can understand why someone would.

On the other hand I don't think I have ever seen a motorcycle that made me say "yuck!". I like them all, although I have to admit some designs make me stand there and scratch my head!

Well, I like it.

I have now ridden RT's GS's, and 1600GT's around the country. I love them all. I am not usually an early adopter. However, I saw the R18 at BMW days in Garmish Germany after a tour of the Alps. So, I bought one. After 5 miles, I was unsure. Now, after 2500 miles I am quite sure. It is a really cool bike.

I'm not so sure about the BMW pickup truck.

Too many bikes and too little time my friends. Zoooom on!

I called Clearwater to ask if they had a CANopener application for the R18. They said they haven’t been able to evaluate a bike in the shop to develop a CANopener application. They could provide a standard set of lights for the bike. But without the CANopener you lose all the functionality that it provides, such as Billie Brake capabilities, 4way flasher integration. They have looked at the bike in the dealership. They would need a bike for a week to complete the design. They are located in Rancho Cordova, California. I am sure they would reward the volunteer with a set of lights. Lord knows we need a good way to add lights to the rear of our bikes and Billie Brake light would really do the trick. Anyone close enough to help them out?

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/collections/motorcycle-led-brake-lights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shadetree Surgeon rides the R18

Video showing off the R18:

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/26PfSIp5mp4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Thanks.

I thought it was a fun video and a fair treatment of the R18.

I know, I spend too much time on YouTube, but the bike is still snowed in here in New York.

Harry

Guess time will tell...I just don’t see this being a hit over time. Read somewhere maybe bmw is working on a smaller engine of this design as well...hum something bigger then 1250 and less then 1800. Then again look how well the NineT model line is doing so one never knows.

Test ride

Did a ten mile test ride with R1800 group at Daytona last week. Included curves and I-95. Well organized and led. Bike was way better enjoyed than I expected. Handled well both slow and at speed. Windscreen worked well. Comfortable seat for that distance and smoother than any Harley I've ridden. My size 14 boots had some trouble shifting but was told the shifter position can be adjusted for big boots. Overall didn't like it as much as my GSA or my BMW scooter, but it should be ridden if you get the chance.

00d51edf029826933d0874b945b9fa18.jpg

Took mine for a ride today. Very pleasurable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R18 and maintenance

Hey Folks

I just rolled over 6K miles on my R18. I rode it from Washington State to Florida. The bike definitely grows on you. I am usually an RT or GS rider. (I do have a new RT waiting.)

So, it is time for the first service. The MOA has a great video on the oil change and the differential change. Does anyone know how to change the air filter on these things?

Thanks.

Ken

Hey Folks

I just rolled over 6K miles on my R18. I rode it from Washington State to Florida. The bike definitely grows on you. I am usually an RT or GS rider. (I do have a new RT waiting.)

So, it is time for the first service. The MOA has a great video on the oil change and the differential change. Does anyone know how to change the air filter on these things?

Thanks.

Ken
answer is in post # 7
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/anyone-install-an-aftermarket-air-filter.319/

Back