Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: R18 cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    It really doesn't matter whether or not existing BMW owners like it, or don't like it. The question is, will the normal cruiser buyer like it?
    IMNSHO the answer is a resounding NO! A majority of Cruiser riders don't buy HD because they're great bikes, their overall performance, handling, and riding position. They ride them because they are Harley's, period, drop the Mic.

Even with a nice paint job that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

Ski

R1800 Tourer in the Wild

Interesting link https://www.motorradonline.de/choppe...-tourer-boxer/ not my cuppa but hey different strokes.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

I am so impressed with the marketing expertise on this Forum. I wish BMWAG would only listen to the wisdom here. That way they would stop wasting money on silly new models, so they could cut the price on the models the experts here endorse.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Anyone seen the HP / Torque specs on this beast of a motor? You might be able to tow the car instead of the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    IMNSHO the answer is a resounding NO! A majority of Cruiser riders don't buy HD because they're great bikes, their overall performance, handling, and riding position. They ride them because they are Harley's, period, drop the Mic.

Even with a nice paint job that is one butt-ugly motorcycle.

Ski
    The bike I just traded in was a Harley Road King. I liked it. It was easy to ride, parts & service were readily available and there were tons of accessories you can get (silly and functional). But, I’d also point out the the concept of brand loyalty isn’t just a Harley phenomenon.

On the R18, the bike in the photos looks like a camouflaged prototype. I’ll bet the production version looks pretty good. My only issue is that the guy in the photos doesn’t look very comfortable.
    Last edited by joeyb1000; 03-10-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyb1000 View Post
    I’d also point out the the concept of brand loyalty isn’t just a Harley phenomenon.
    I have been riding BMW motorcycles exclusively for 53 years. That is BMW brand loyalty.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    I have been riding BMW motorcycles exclusively for 53 years. That is BMW brand loyalty.
    Exactly (and congratulations on your excellent taste). I've had three Harleys and now on my fourth BMW, but nothing else. My brothers only have Harleys, and my parents have only had Hondas.

If I were a dealer, I would take everyone test-driving an R18 and I would have them ride a 1600B at the same time. I would expect someone looking for a cruising style bike would want at least one of them. No matter what, I think the R18 is going to be good for BMW because it will generate foot-traffic in their stores.

I've been riding BMW since the late 70s. Along the way, I've owned Hondas and a Ducati.

I like a little spice in my riding life. The BMWs are nice and I've got 3 in the garage, but few things tingle the senses like the 12K rpm howl from a VFR V4 or a 916 hard at work on a backroad.

IMG_0684-X3.jpg
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It would have been interesting if we had a forum back in 1980 to see what everyone thought about BMW selling a off-road bike.
    For similar thinking, go poke around for posts when the S1000RR was introduced. You just knew that some old fart was trying to hang some truck lights and a set of Bates bags on one. Same for the R9T. The howls about that bike not having bags were pretty funny.

It's a sportbike. It's not for you, Mr./Ms. LT Rider. It's probably for your kids.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Left Coast Rider
    O', woe is me. I've only been riding BMWs for 12 years. I feel so inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    I've been riding BMW since the late 70s. Along the way, I've owned Hondas and a Ducati.

I like a little spice in my riding life. The BMWs are nice and I've got 3 in the garage.
    Love the slash/2. What is it?

Here I am 53 years ago, in 1967, riding my first motorcycle, a 1966 R60/2:

I still have one similar to that bike:

Jeff Dean

Quote Originally Posted by joeyb1000 View Post
    Exactly (and congratulations on your excellent taste). I've had three Harleys and now on my fourth BMW, but nothing else. My brothers only have Harleys, and my parents have only had Hondas.

If I were a dealer, I would take everyone test-driving an R18 and I would have them ride a 1600B at the same time. I would expect someone looking for a cruising style bike would want at least one of them. No matter what, I think the R18 is going to be good for BMW because it will generate foot-traffic in their stores.
    Thank you. You currently evidence excellent taste. Your parents do too. Your brothers? No comment.
    Jeff Dean

Love the slash/2. What is it?

Here I am 53 years ago, in 1967, riding my first motorcycle, a 1966 R60/2:

I still have one similar to that bike:

'67 R60/2. Got the original bill of sale and all its maintenance records for its entire life. I love riding it.

But, at the same time, a blast out on the 916 is an entirely different riding experience on one of the world's greatest bikes. Started riding on Hondas, then moved to street bikes when my dad bought a '77 R75/7 in like 1978. I'll always have an airhead in the garage and am pretty in love with my CS LE.

I like some variety in my diet.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

“Big Boxer” concept circa 1963?

We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers