• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to turn a chrome rim to black

Have a F800 GS the front wheel is chrome and the rear is black, what would be the best way to get them to match. to expensive to change out the rim. Please help.

Have a F800 GS the front wheel is chrome and the rear is black, what would be the best way to get them to match. to expensive to change out the rim. Please help.

Too bad it isn't the other way around. Chain drive lube can turn any wheel black.....:)

Well, if you're good at lacing wheels (aren't we all?), disassemble and then sandblast the front rim and either paint or powdercoat it.

paxton3

Please don't get discouraged or offended by our helpful answers.....

Obviously, we have nearly zero clue on how to help you, but we appreciate you joining the forum and asking a question. Hopefully, some forum members with useful information will come along.......

There are a number of “self-etching” primer/paint solutions to accomplish changing the chrome to a “blackened” color. As in any paint work, preparation is key.
There is a pretty good tutorial in this article-

https://vikingpaints.com/uncategorized/paint-chrome-surface/

Good luck. Maybe you can post a before and after.

OM

I feel your pain, as I think wheels can very strongly impact the looks of a bike for either better or worse.

1. Are you sure the front wheel is chrome (rare) and not just painted silver (common)?

2. Am I correct in presuming you have wire and not cast aluminum wheels?

If the front wheel is really chrome then it's a pretty big deal to get rid of it. I think most chrome stripping is done chemically because the chrome is so hard that it's very resistant to sand blasting.

If you want to redo a painted rim it's relatively easy but not free. Prior to sandblasting the wheel bearings need to be removed. This may or may not mean the bearing seals will need to be replaced. If they're wire wheels the spokes need to be removed. After the sand blasting and painting the wheels will need the bearings and seals put back and the spokes reinstalled, tensioned, and trued.

Good luck with it! Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Last edited:
Put a "wanted" ad in the Marketplace and Craigslist for a black front wheel or a chrome rear wheel.:dunno

Contact your local chapter BMW club and your local dealers.

Check all the BMW recyclers; Beemer Boneyard, Re-psycle, Parts Haus, etc.. Several are listed in the ON.

See if anyone of them wants to trade (plus cash?).

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I have had good luck painting chrome by first sanding it to remove all gloss and then applying multiple (like 5 or 6) coats of rattle can appliance epoxy paint.

However....I would not recommend it for a wheel, particularly if it rolls over dirt or gravel very often. After a few miles and a couple of tire changes you'll probably be disappointed with its appearance.

I minored in Alchemy in college. Chrome to black is similar to lead to gold. PM me for formula and necessary incantations.

Back