• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wow! Adventure Riding

Casual observer says: "where are your helmets?" to which the ladies say "We don't need no stinking helmets!"

Great video.

These ladies put many of the adventure riders I know to shame. Their style and technique may not be overwhelming but they sure do seem to get the job done. At several moments in that video I would have dumped the bike (and load) for sure.

Ha Ha These women riders are amazing. No giant GS style bikes needed....no special tires...just standard bikes!

This reminds me of the power of marketing hype!

No pretentious styling done....just doing their thing!

Ha Ha These women riders are amazing. No giant GS style bikes needed....no special tires...just standard bikes!

This reminds me of the power of marketing hype!

No pretentious styling done....just doing their thing!

It reminds me of Dad's Hunting Camp pictures from the 40's. The camp was a two room cabin built near a mountain stream about 5-miles off the "improved dirt" county road. The road to the cabin was the logging road that was cut when the mountain was timbered off in the 1920's. Up the face of the mountain (PA word for Ridge) with a switchback (an "elbow" in local speak), or two, then over top and down to the head of the spring which fed the stream. The members that had a car, drove them to camp. A pick-up truck was a rare thing in those days. At some point in the 50's a few members (2 out of 12, as I remember the story) got Jeeps of some form which were the first 4WD's at camp.

By the end of the century, all the members "had" to have a 4WD vehicle to get to camp which was now 5-miles off a paved road on a dirt road that was periodically graded, re-crowned and cut for drainage. Going to camp in a regular old 2WD pick-up was considered foolish, if not dangerous.

Apparently, the old guys knew something the younger guys didn't...........

Wow! And on street bikes, too. No dedicated dirt bikes or fancy adv-tourers, no fancy riding gear, just a committed approach and judicious application of throttle (notice there’s no excessive wheelspin to dig them in and ruin the trail), careful choice of lines, and some very good balance. I’d have been on my arse multiple times there, watching a bike tumble down the face of the mountain, and had at least one dunking. My hat is off to the ladies!
:clap:clap

DeVern

It reminds me of Dad's Hunting Camp pictures from the 40's. The camp was a two room cabin built near a mountain stream about 5-miles off the "improved dirt" county road. The road to the cabin was the logging road that was cut when the mountain was timbered off in the 1920's. Up the face of the mountain (PA word for Ridge) with a switchback (an "elbow" in local speak), or two, then over top and down to the head of the spring which fed the stream. The members that had a car, drove them to camp. A pick-up truck was a rare thing in those days. At some point in the 50's a few members (2 out of 12, as I remember the story) got Jeeps of some form which were the first 4WD's at camp.

By the end of the century, all the members "had" to have a 4WD vehicle to get to camp which was now 5-miles off a paved road on a dirt road that was periodically graded, re-crowned and cut for drainage. Going to camp in a regular old 2WD pick-up was considered foolish, if not dangerous.

Apparently, the old guys knew something the younger guys didn't...........

+1 on that!

This made me dig out some old pictures of the ISDT of around 1972. A good many of the bikes were street 650 or 500 Triumps ( or other brands) with stuff stripped of to reduce weight, up pipes (now called scrambler style), a big rear sprocket and knobby tires. A world class event!!
Simpler times....where rider skill and endurance were more important than fancy tools.

Are we a spoiled, pampered bunch or not?

+1 on that!

This made me dig out some old pictures of the ISDT of around 1972. A good many of the bikes were street 650 or 500 Triumps ( or other brands) with stuff stripped of to reduce weight, up pipes (now called scrambler style), a big rear sprocket and knobby tires. A world class event!!
Simpler times....where rider skill and endurance were more important than fancy tools.

Are we a spoiled, pampered bunch or not?

The German that raced a R75 in the ISDT was a classic example.

https://super7moto.com/directorio/images/Caferacer/HerbertSchek/Scheck10.jpg

Are we spoiled? Go to a car dealership north of the Mason Dixon line and try to find a non-AWD car/SUV or a non-4WD pick-up. Even with Global Warming, we, apparently, need AWD/4WD to get to the grocery store via the 4-lane.....

Last edited:
Back