• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 starter/turn signal switch

Hi
I have 3 toasters and my blue one has a starter switch that is intermittent. Sometimes I get the cricket but mostly when I press the button I get nothing and have to release and push softly to get it to engage. So I'm looking for a switch and saw one advertised somewhere and now I can't find it. I am told that they are out of stock but a new batch is on its way in 6 months or so. If you guys have any leads on new old stock could you let me know.
Thanks
Brian

I wasn't aware there was some kind of backlog. Vech at Benchmark Works shows a left switch 61311351220 on their website...don't know if he has them in stock. There are some used part places listed in the link in my signature line.

Any thoughts to possibly taking the switch apart to see what might be going on? I think people have said to do this inside a large dry cleaning bag to keep parts from jumping to unknown parts.

switch

Hi
I have 3 toasters and my blue one has a starter switch that is intermittent. Sometimes I get the cricket but mostly when I press the button I get nothing and have to release and push softly to get it to engage. So I'm looking for a switch and saw one advertised somewhere and now I can't find it. I am told that they are out of stock but a new batch is on its way in 6 months or so. If you guys have any leads on new old stock could you let me know.
Thanks
Brian

Or, you could take apart the switch, clean it and verify it works. They're very easy to disassemble, except for maybe the Jesus clip.

Hi
Thanks
Brian

If you're getting "the cricket" you might also unplug and plug in your starter relay and starter relay connections a couple of times....

i am having the same problem with 72 toaster
i can not find a replacement just yet
my problem was frayed wires
i am going to wait for the repro
in the meantime i pulled the two starter wires away from the switch and routed them to an external switch i got at oriellys
since i never had the reflectors on the head light bracket, i mounted the switch though one of those holes
works great and you can barely notice it
the new switch will come with fresh wires so not a big deal

starter switch

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses. I remember years ago I cleaned a switch and it was a waist of time as it worked better for a while then needed to be replaced. Some 40 years later I don't want to mess around with old electronics. so I will give Vech a call and see if he has one or if he could recommend someone.
Thanks
brian

Back