• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Install clutch rod install with felt seal?

Is there a trick to installing the clutch rod, with the felt seal? Thanks for all replies.

Hi 10Drum,

You didn't mention the year bike. For those that have the felt seal, it should be installed from the front of the transmission. That requires the transmission to be removed so you can get access.

Here is documentation I have on my web site showing the procedure.

--> 23 BMW 1973 R75/5 Install the Transmission

I hope that helps.

Best.
Brook Reams.

I use shrink tube that can I pull off after I install the rod. I heated the shrink tube just enough so it slides off the rod. Compress the felt and slide the shrink tube over it.

Attachments

• bike teardown.jpg
    bike teardown.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 108
Saddleman, I tried that, I think I could've made it work, but it was no problem pulling gearbox. Thanks

I agree with the install from the front. I've heard of rear installations with the felt wrapped with dental floss. Once installed, pull the floss. I gave that a try once, became frustrated, and just did it the right way!!

Back