• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 R1200GS TFT update?

bobster8654

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if there is a TFT firmware update for a 2018 R1200GS, and if so, what changes have been made.

Thanks,

Bobster8654

Welcome to the forum Bob!
This is most likely a Wethead question and I can move it to the Wethead section for you later.
As for “TFT”, when I hear “TFT”, I think display. If that is the case, many have their bikes hooked up to their dealers computer while in for service to receive current updates.
Gary

Yes! I had a miserable time trying to get the TFT to play nice with my phone. My dealer (Harrison Eurosports in SLC) took the bike in and under warranty updated ALL the electronic modules that had updates available, and TFT was definitely in the mix. The version on my bike is 001-019-180. You can check your SW version by going to Settings—>Information—>Software Version in the TFT.

Phone integration was much improved after the update. Still room for improvement on BMW’s part, but the flash update helped a lot.

HTH,
DeVern

TFT Update

Yes! I had a miserable time trying to get the TFT to play nice with my phone. My dealer (Harrison Eurosports in SLC) took the bike in and under warranty updated ALL the electronic modules that had updates available, and TFT was definitely in the mix. The version on my bike is 001-019-180. You can check your SW version by going to Settings—>Information—>Software Version in the TFT.

Phone integration was much improved after the update. Still room for improvement on BMW’s part, but the flash update helped a lot.

HTH,
DeVern

Thanks for the reply. I have been having trouble with connectivity issues, kind of hit and miss at times. It’s due to go in for service, so I will definitely get it updated. Was there any other changes you noticed regarding the graphics display?

Thanks for the reply. I have been having trouble with connectivity issues, kind of hit and miss at times. It’s due to go in for service, so I will definitely get it updated. Was there any other changes you noticed regarding the graphics display?

I did not notice other changes, but the phone connectivity was definitely better. Prior to the update the phone would connect most of the time, but the Nav app almost never connected and phone calling was hit&miss for connecting as well. Post-update I can almost always get everything connected if I first start the Nav app and Garmin Smart Link (for the Nav VI) on the phone, turn on the bike, then finish putting on helmet, gloves, and preparing to start the bike. The TFT is quite slow to connect on Bluetooth—that’s an area needing further attention from BMW and their supplier.

You might also find this link useful for setting up the links.

Best,
DeVern

TFT Update

I did not notice other changes, but the phone connectivity was definitely better. Prior to the update the phone would connect most of the time, but the Nav app almost never connected and phone calling was hit&miss for connecting as well. Post-update I can almost always get everything connected if I first start the Nav app and Garmin Smart Link (for the Nav VI) on the phone, turn on the bike, then finish putting on helmet, gloves, and preparing to start the bike. The TFT is quite slow to connect on Bluetooth—that’s an area needing further attention from BMW and their supplier.

You might also find this link useful for setting up the links.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks DeVern, I will check it out...

Bob

Back