• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorrad Card Alert!

joeyb1000

I signed up for the new credit card with Elan last week. I got an email tonight saying it had been activated. I called Elan, and they said it had been activated with my SS number and that a purchase had already been made at a Best Buy. They have cancelled the card and are fixing my account.
Given that they had my SS number and that I’ve been getting my mail, this is more than just someone stealing a card from my mailbox.
I’m posting to tell people to keep an eye on their emails for notifications that their new cards have been activated.

Last edited:
Having now read their Agreement page, how many points does it take to redeem for whatever? What is a point or 10,000 points worth when redeeming say, a BMW jacket? Or are they redeemable for only certain items on a specific list? Their Agreement page doesn't really get into the benefit aspect, just their overall authority in rewarding said points or refusing to do same. And all predicated on Utah Law. Didn't know Utah and VISA were so bound.

And all predicated on Utah Law. Didn't know Utah and VISA were so bound.

That right there is enough to make me steer clear, given Utah’s history as the fraud capital of the US. The current craze here in Utah is payday and title loan companies charging up to 522% interest, and no real prospect of our legislature reining that in.

South Dakota used to be the haven for credit card companies; don’t know if that’s changed. They acquired that distinction after abandoning their usury laws under Gov. Bill Janklow—remember him? Under that same administration state law was rewritten to allow the creation of perpetual trusts, which made the state a haven for oligarchs needing a place to hide money and avoid taxes—a lot of foreign money stashed there.

Best,
DeVern

I don't need another credit card.

That said, they can't possibly be any worse than Wells Fargo, can they? W-F just agreed to a $3 billion fine which seems a lot until you notice they made $219 billion on their shady dealings.

I called Elan, and they said it had been activated with my SS number......

As someone has already mentioned, it seems that if your Social Security number is "out there", you've got bigger problems.

I don't know how all things work in the US, but in this country the only folks permitted to even ask for what we call a Social Insurance number are your employer and certain government institutions.

As someone has already mentioned, it seems that if your Social Security number is "out there", you've got bigger problems.

I don't know how all things work in the US, but in this country the only folks permitted to even ask for what we call a Social Insurance number are your employer and certain government institutions.

We only wish we had that kind of protection here. We have banks, insurance companies, utility companies, etc routinely asking for that info and refusing service if denied the number. We have credit rating companies that acquire that information without even asking for it. It makes breaches of one’s SS number almost impossible to trace, as one has to depend upon the technology security put in place by each entity holding the number. It’s long past time for separation of SS numbers from a distinct federal ID number, but if you start talking about THAT you incur the wrath of the tin-helmet crowd. :banghead

Best,
DeVern

And don't even ask me what I think of the ubiquitous practice in the medical provider field of using my birthdate (month, day, and year please) as the secret pass code to identify myself to the doctor's office, pharmacy, hospital, and medical insurance provider. My birthdate is so secret that every year at just about midnight I get happy birthday greetings from the BMW MOA and several other organizations. Not to mention the 198 happy birthday wishes I got from folks on Voni's (not my page) Facebook page. Whichever idiots decided birthdate was a good pass code to identify people should be tarred and feathered, just before they are drawn and quartered, and then delivered to the guillotine just to make sure. Just try telling the pharmacy you just called to refill a prescription that your birthdate is confidential. You won't get your prescription filled. :banghead

And don't even ask me what I think of the ubiquitous practice in the medical provider field of using my birthdate (month, day, and year please) as the secret pass code to identify myself to the doctor's office, pharmacy, hospital, and medical insurance provider. My birthdate is so secret that every year at just about midnight I get happy birthday greetings from the BMW MOA and several other organizations. Not to mention the 198 happy birthday wishes I got from folks on Voni's (not my page) Facebook page. Whichever idiots decided birthdate was a good pass code to identify people should be tarred and feathered, just before they are drawn and quartered, and then delivered to the guillotine just to make sure. Just try telling the pharmacy you just called to refill a prescription that your birthdate is confidential. You won't get your prescription filled. :banghead

The difference in proceedures and standards is also astonishing. All our prescriptions are done by interacting with an automated system that requires the entering of the Rx # and confirming the first four letters of our last name with the push of a button. They do require presentation of a photo ID when picking up the Rx (it is rare for anyone to actually look at the photo). When I get a Rx from the VA they ask for much the same info, then mail it to me.

Canada seem to be ahead of the US on security.
In 2015 our credit card did not have a chip and when we were in Ontario one of the motel owners was surprised our card did not have one and mentioned most people had chips for a long time.
2016, Ontario again we noticed our card never left our hand. In a restaurant if we paid at the table the sever brought a hand held card reader to the table.

In a restaurant if we paid at the table the sever brought a hand held card reader to the table.
Usually, in a restaurant, the transaction is held “open” while the “system” waits for the tip to be added. In electronic time, this “open” time is an eternity.
Plan ahead, bring cash.........unless you really need to relive the transaction again at the end of the month.
OM

Usually, in a restaurant, the transaction is held “open” while the “system” waits for the tip to be added. In electronic time, this “open” time is an eternity.
Plan ahead, bring cash.........unless you really need to relive the transaction again at the end of the month.
OM

We have a points card that pays us cash so we use it as much as possible.
It's rare either one of us has more than $30 to $40 cash on us.

We have a points card that pays us cash so we use it as much as possible.
It's rare either one of us has more than $30 to $40 cash on us.

Points are part of the game.......and the exposure risk.
OM

Canada seem to be ahead of the US on security.
In 2015 our credit card did not have a chip and when we were in Ontario one of the motel owners was surprised our card did not have one and mentioned most people had chips for a long time.
2016, Ontario again we noticed our card never left our hand. In a restaurant if we paid at the table the sever brought a hand held card reader to the table.

Sounds like Europe. But there (Europe), you don't have the $50 limit on fraudulent charges. In the US, on a typical Visa card, you're only liable for the first $50 in fraudulent charges, so we're fairly cavalier about the card walking away with the waiter. Debit cards are a different story.

Risk exposure

Having sat thru a number training sessions on identity theft, your biggest issue is family members with emotional or substance dependency issues.

Back