• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorrad Card Alert!

I signed up for the new credit card with Elan last week. I got an email tonight saying it had been activated. I called Elan, and they said it had been activated with my SS number and that a purchase had already been made at a Best Buy. They have cancelled the card and are fixing my account.
Given that they had my SS number and that I’ve been getting my mail, this is more than just someone stealing a card from my mailbox.
I’m posting to tell people to keep an eye on their emails for notifications that their new cards have been activated.

Joey - FWIW, it seems that your SSAN has been compromised. My SSAN was stolen in a breach through Equifax (a credit-reporting agency) of 150 million Federal employees. Perhaps you were part of that event or other similar breaches. Your path to not having this happen again is to put a credit freeze on your accounts in the three credit-reporting agencies...Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. If you need to open new credit accounts, you will be able to unfreeze temporarily.

Welcome to the new normal.

John Gamel

We'd be using one anyway, so Marriott points became our game. Pay it in full every month and it cost "only" the $45.00 "fee" a year to have it. Of course Dave Ramsey would tell you their studies show just having a credit card costs you more, as you will purchase more on average than the non card carrying citizen. When he says that I always wonder how they make that comparison...do folks in their blind study really keep track of every item they buy AND the items they would have purchased if they'd had a card handy? Anyway, it produces a nice revenue stream for him and his perfectly happy employees in Nashville.

Canada seem to be ahead of the US on security.
In 2015 our credit card did not have a chip and when we were in Ontario one of the motel owners was surprised our card did not have one and mentioned most people had chips for a long time.
2016, Ontario again we noticed our card never left our hand. In a restaurant if we paid at the table the sever brought a hand held card reader to the table.

We've now had a "tap" feature for a few years. Purchasing something where the charge is less than $100? Just pass your card over the terminal and bingo, you're done. Negates the need to enter one's security code thereby reducing the opportunity to steal your info via card skimmers nefariously installed in credit card terminals. We have the same thing at my bank's ATMs but you need to verify with a security code. I love it. Speaking of banks, we only have 5 major ones along with a number of regional credit unions. Simplifies things a lot.

We've now had a "tap" feature for a few years. Purchasing something where the charge is less than $100? Just pass your card over the terminal and bingo, you're done. Negates the need to enter one's security code thereby reducing the opportunity to steal your info via card skimmers nefariously installed in credit card terminals. We have the same thing at my bank's ATMs but you need to verify with a security code. I love it. Speaking of banks, we only have 5 major ones along with a number of regional credit unions. Simplifies things a lot.

We only have a few too. And, just like the Titanic, they're too big to fail...

Gee, can't wait for the cashless society. Aren't we overdue for the next electro-magnetic pulse from the sun? Last time the telegraphs fried. "Whadda you mean nothin works! I want my hamburger!" Just sayin. It's gonna be sunny today.

The cashless society is here. You don't need to get cash. The business doesn't need to give cash or worry about the cashier counting the correct cash. If your parking meters don't take credit cards, people don't stop in your town.

Sure, there's a transaction fee, but the customer demands the convenience.

But, to have a credit card, you need a bank account. Lots of folks can't afford one and many prefer transactions which are off the grid.

We've now had a "tap" feature for a few years. .

A few businesses around here have that but it's not common.
We have the option to pay with our phone but I'm not ready to trust that technology.

I know I don't want to go back to the days of traveling with only cash and traveler checks.

It certainly is. In major malls in Vancouver there are stores which only take credit or debit cards, no cash. I'm not sure I'm on board with that store policy.

Mall? Is that where the Hudson Bay and Eaton stores are?

Among others. And, believe it or not, there's more than one mall. :laugh

I was going to jab you about saying Eaton's was there (long gone in the Sears debacle), but then I discovered that Hudson Bay still exists. I thought they went away in the early 2000's.......

We have malls with very few stores and lots of elderly folks doing laps.

I was going to jab you about saying Eaton's was there (long gone in the Sears debacle), but then I discovered that Hudson Bay still exists. I thought they went away in the early 2000's.......

We have malls with very few stores and lots of elderly folks doing laps.

Eaton's disappeared over 10 years ago. Sears tried to take over a few of the Eaton's stores but then had their own issues. The Bay (as the stores are known) has been around since 1670. Its a great store.

And don't even ask me what I think of the ubiquitous practice in the medical provider field of using my birthdate (month, day, and year please) as the secret pass code to identify myself to the doctor's office, pharmacy, hospital, and medical insurance provider. My birthdate is so secret that every year at just about midnight I get happy birthday greetings from the BMW MOA and several other organizations. Not to mention the 198 happy birthday wishes I got from folks on Voni's (not my page) Facebook page. Whichever idiots decided birthdate was a good pass code to identify people should be tarred and feathered, just before they are drawn and quartered, and then delivered to the guillotine just to make sure. Just try telling the pharmacy you just called to refill a prescription that your birthdate is confidential. You won't get your prescription filled. :banghead

I'm betting that some of that is "two patient identifiers" info. We have people spell their last name and tell us their birthday in the clinic that I work for to make sure we have the right person.

On the CC thing, we've frozen our credit and purchased identity theft monitoring/insurance, but these days that may not be enough. Fingers crossed!

The cashless society is here. You don't need to get cash. The business doesn't need to give cash or worry about the cashier counting the correct cash. If your parking meters don't take credit cards, people don't stop in your town.

Sure, there's a transaction fee, but the customer demands the convenience.

But, to have a credit card, you need a bank account. Lots of folks can't afford one and many prefer transactions which are off the grid.

I couple states, I believe New York is one, passed a law that businesses are required to accept cash. Apparently there was some push back. It won't be too many years before we are 100% cashless. You will need a government ID of some sort and a bank account to exist. Hold on a sec while I adjust my tin foil hat! 1984 is here, just a little late, and we are volunteering for it. The powers that be make it attractive to fall in line so as time goes by and the generations die the next one jumps on the band wagon to join up with more government control.

I couple states, I believe New York is one, passed a law that businesses are required to accept cash. Apparently there was some push back. It won't be too many years before we are 100% cashless. You will need a government ID of some sort and a bank account to exist. Hold on a sec while I adjust my tin foil hat! 1984 is here, just a little late, and we are volunteering for it. The powers that be make it attractive to fall in line so as time goes by and the generations die the next one jumps on the band wagon to join up with more government control.

Well, let me see, I have a

1) Birth certificate (needed to prove I'm a citizen)
2) SS number (needed to file my taxes)
3) Driver's license (now, with Real ID, so I can fly and enter gov't facilities)
4) Voter's registration card (needed to vote)
5) Passport and card (needed to re-enter the country)
6) Various employee ID numbers and cards (needed to work)
7) ATM number (when I really need cash and, usually, get shafted with multiple access fees)

and a whole bunch of Usernames/Passwords to access websites. In some cases, that's a 2factor process requiring a cell or landline contact.

It's just life.

Last edited:
Back