Thread: Leak investigation help wanted. Whats probably leaking in the photo 2005 R1200GS

Leak investigation help wanted. Whats probably leaking in the photo 2005 R1200GS

Hey guys and gals and tech experts. Was wondering if anyone could give me their best educated opinion as to what is leaking around the throttle body intake hoses at air box as shown in the photos.
    It appears is some type of oil and is on the left side only. This is a R1200GS which has 87 K miles on it . Seems to run fine. Valve cover does not appear to be leaking, Could this be the clutch slave cylinder leakage? But I have not noticed any clutch function issue. Seems too far back to be an engine oil leak, Have not pulled things apart yet, Will appreciate any thoughts. Also experience burnt oil smell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blankelis; 04-30-2020 at 03:14 PM.

I can't tell for sure but it looks like seepage from the air box. If so that would be from the accumulation of oil residue from the crankcase ventilation system I would guess.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone with the same bike will drop in and give you some things to check.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I can't tell for sure but it looks like seepage from the air box. If so that would be from the accumulation of oil residue from the crankcase ventilation system I would guess.
    I would concur.

OP, you could check the crancase vent hose where it connects to the airbox for cracks in the tubing around the clamp. You could also pull the air filter off and have a look into the airbox and see if you have standing oil, if crankcase is overfilled oil can get pushed back up into the airbox.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Yup, oil in the air box

After reading your comments and researching some other posts, I pulled the trim panels and air filter and did find oil in the air box. See photo below.

I recently had checked my oil level and found it about 1/4 way up the sight glass 5 min after a ride. I added about 4 - 6 oz of oil but perhaps did not pay enough attention.
    Today. while cleaning oil from the bottom of the air box, I checked the oil with the engine cold and the oil level was 1/2 way up the sight glass. I'll check tomorrow after a ride when hot.

I appreciate everyone's replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm. who woulda thunk that. I'll have to remember to look down in there when I do the 24k inspection which will, at this rate, be next year sometime (I'm at 21k since about early February )
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

These bikes have, like all cars, a Positive Crankcase Ventilation" (PCV) system. In this case the crankcase is vented to the air box. This, oil vapor are routed to the airbox so as to be sucked into the running engine and burned up as air is drawn into the cylinders as the engine is running. However, those oil vapors may condense in the air box depositing - du dah - oil. Thus the issue the OP has discovered. It is a normal but pesky problem. Keeping the oil level within limits is essential to minimize this natural happening.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/