• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Question/kicking the hornets nest šŸ˜‚

blackpaw

Blackpaw
Kind of basic oil question.

I have a ā€˜19 1250 GSA. Came with the BMW Advantec and it received that again at the 600 mile dealer service. Now I am doing all the maintenance myself. I switched to Liquimoly for the fall change after reading through peopleā€™s experiences here and on advrider. It does feel like the shifting is a little smoother, which is what others have reported.

My primary question is this, has anyone here sent in oil for analysis from a wethead? Iā€™m curious for the factual data on how the different brands actually perform vs ā€œfeelā€ or opinion.

A secondary question is BMW Advantec is SN spec and the Liquimoly is SM spec. The difference I have read online is that the improvement between the two is primarily related to sludging and efficiency but welcome any info there as well.

If anyone has any other data or first hard experience Iā€™m open to it. Iā€™m not really concerned with saving $20 between Advantec or Liquimoly every 6,000 miles on a $25K bikešŸ˜‚.

Mine seemed to shift a little smoother after the first oil change using Advantec and even more after the second change using Castrol. It continues to feel better after 14k miles still using Castrol. I attribute my experience to 'breaking in'. If you're happy, carry on.

On a wethead, not yet, Ill be testing my RT this season. Ive had Advantec tested in my 2011 camhead and additives package has held up well enough to push the oil change interval to 7,000 miles. Take that with a grain of salt, most of my riding is done in 500 mile jaunts, not much low mileage commuting.

No oil testing data but I've been running the Castrol in both my wet heads and have been very happy with it. And easy to get on Amazon and meets ALL BMW spec recommendations.

Which Castrol oil?

I've used Castrol Power1 4T 5W-40 Synthetic (API SL, JASO MA2) in my 1250RT once. It was fine. I decided to go to the API SN rating and am currently using Motul 104087 100% Synthetic Engine Oil 5w40. Same ratings as the Advantec ultimate (API SN), but $6 to $8 less a liter than the BMW branded stuff. Will be doing my first 12k service very soon.

Darn.............

I guess I need to throw out that case of Castrol 5w-40 4T I bought with my MOA discount. It's only API SL and the Advantec Ultimate (like the driving experience) is SN.

Could it be...ā€¦ā€¦...we're just re-enacting a Dan Ackroyd skit on SNL?

I guess I need to throw out that case of Castrol 5w-40 4T I bought with my MOA discount. It's only API SL and the Advantec Ultimate (like the driving experience) is SN.

Could it be...ā€¦ā€¦...we're just re-enacting a Dan Ackroyd skit on SNL?

Well the mother ship says I should use "SL" rated oil and no Molybdenum. Castrol fits the bill at a fair price and is sold by BMW Dealers next to Advantec.:rocker

But feel free to toss your nasty old Castrol stuff in the back of my truck. I'll even come get it :ha:ha

Funny but I've read dozens of these Oil threads over the years and everyone has his/her oil preference and the debate always ensues about which is best. BUT ... never had I heard of any engine damage or reduced life as a result of the oil used. I always use the spec oil the manufacturer recommends and have never had an issue. I've never used synthetic until I bought liquid cooled BMW's where synthetic is recommended by BMW. Have always changed my oil at about 2000 to 3000 miles depending on the time since last change. Never had a shifting issue. It seems like all the commonly used brands work and it is more of a personal preference. Just my $.02.

Well the mother ship says I should use "SL" rated oil and no Molybdenum.

What's the source of BMW claiming we don't want molybdenum in the oil? I'm not saying you're incorrect; I'd just like to see the source for myself.

Funny but I've read dozens of these Oil threads over the years and everyone has his/her oil preference and the debate always ensues about which is best. BUT ... never had I heard of any engine damage or reduced life as a result of the oil used. I always use the spec oil the manufacturer recommends and have never had an issue. I've never used synthetic until I bought liquid cooled BMW's where synthetic is recommended by BMW. Have always changed my oil at about 2000 to 3000 miles depending on the time since last change. Never had a shifting issue. It seems like all the commonly used brands work and it is more of a personal preference. Just my $.02.

Oh CRAP..........

An oil thread ........

Run away, as fast as you can.....

What's the source of BMW claiming we don't want molybdenum in the oil? I'm not saying you're incorrect; I'd just like to see the source for myself.

In the technical specifications on page 115 of my G310GS Rider's Manual, BMW states:

"Additives (for instance molybdenum based substances) are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components."

I have no real idea what coatings they are using but I will take their word for it.:scratch

Besides, I would never use a moly additive in engine oil if the engine has a sight glass. It coats the sight glass and prevents telling what the oil level is. I did that once 30 years ago in my K75. It took three oil changes and a new sight glass before I could read the oil level. :)

In the technical specifications on page 115 of my G310GS Rider's Manual, BMW states:

"Additives (for instance molybdenum based substances) are prohibited because they would attack the coatings on engine components."

I have no real idea what coatings they are using but I will take their word for it.:scratch

Besides, I would never use a moly additive in engine oil if the engine has a sight glass. It coats the sight glass and prevents telling what the oil level is. I did that once 30 years ago in my K75. It took three oil changes and a new sight glass before I could read the oil level. :)

Thanks, Paul! Of course I then looked in my RT manual and sure enough, there it is on page 182.

Sorry was out this afternoon and did not see this

It is in my 2018GS owners manual

i-7DGR6cg-L.jpg

Back