• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200RT Resetting Factory Throttle Body Idle Screws After Shaft Replacement

ag12680

While on a trip to Big Bend last fall I was riding my friend's new '19 RT while he rode my '09 RT. In an attempt to keep up with me he apparently twisted the throttle to the point that it broke both of the plastic throttle body cable ramps. Ordered the parts from Bing Agency USA and followed their instructions to count the turns on the factory set idle screws in order to properly seat the throttle plate on the new shafts. This was on both throttle bodies so I don't have a prior known comparison to go from.

I have a GS911 and have observed that the stepper counts at idle once warmed are in the low 60's and not exactly the same. My question is how to get as close to the factory spec as possible without a flow meter? The local dealer mechanic expert had no advice other than buy a new TB which is out of the question. Attached is a screen shot of the real time readings at warm idle. Appreciate any experience reseting these. Will use a Twinmax or similar to set the sync above idle. Thanks!

Funny story.. this happened 3 miles from where Paul Glaves lives down there and he drove over to meet me with an older throttle body he had to try rescuing me. Very small world and kind community. Thanks so much Paul, if you see this! And now you know what the problem was...

Thanks!

Andy

Attachments

• R1200RT GS911 Readings 2.20.20.jpeg
    R1200RT GS911 Readings 2.20.20.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 139
Don't blame your buddy's throttle twisting for the broken cams, it has happened to many hex and cam head bikes as the plastic ages.

I've not yet had to deal with the problem, but this post at bmwsporttouring.com was written by a very knowledgeable mechanic, so I saved the link for the day I need it. It may not contain the exact answer you need, but maybe the discussion will clarify the procedure and help you get back on the road?

EDIT: As I read back through that thread, it appears that idle is controlled by the base idle screws and the steppers. I don't think the stepper counts need to be equal or any particular value, just something above zero so that the engine computer can make fine adjustments with the steppers. See this post in particular. So, you may not need to adjust the base idle screws at all.

You may already know that there is a procedure to help the computer determine the initial stepper position, but I'll repeat it anyway. Turn on the ignition without starting, open and close the throttle fully three times, turn off the ignition. I do this any time I've disconnected the battery. The bike will eventually adjust itself if you don't do this, but it may idle very unevenly. Also be sure there is at least a little slack in the cables so that the throttle plates can close completely.

Last edited:
While on a trip to Big Bend last fall I was riding my friend's new '19 RT while he rode my '09 RT. In an attempt to keep up with me he apparently twisted the throttle to the point that it broke both of the plastic throttle body cable ramps.

<big snip>

Funny story.. this happened 3 miles from where Paul Glaves lives down there and he drove over to meet me with an older throttle body he had to try rescuing me. Very small world and kind community. Thanks so much Paul, if you see this! And now you know what the problem was...

Thanks!

Andy

Thanks for the report. I am not sure of the answer to your question. What I do know is that it doesn't have to be perfect because the stepper adaptation can - within a range - compensate.

Thanks for the quick responses. I read through the posted procedure but unfortunately did not take prior gap measures since the folks at Bing USA said to replace the throttle plate by backing off the set screw until the plate sits flush in the bore - then tighten the shaft clamp screws returning the set screws to their original positions. So, I have what I have.

Should have asked here first. There's much about the GS911 and the idle control operation that I don't know so I will do more research before making adjustments.

One question though would be whether the TPS orientation is critical? There was no apparent adjustment and my understanding is that the system is designed to set the range every time the bike is started vs. the 1100/1150.

Perhaps this is what Paul is referring to.

Hi Paul! Thanks again...

Andy --

Go to the HexHead section of BMW Sport Touring forum and look up a thread on this by Dirt Rider. He covers it very well. He's a wealth of knowledge and I wonder why he isn't on here, but he's a gem.

Back