• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

early numbers

My thoughts/guess: Yes; but reporting the number AND then comparing it to last June's South-Eastern US location... may be disappointing.

But maybe not?

"travel'n" John

My thoughts/guess: Yes; but reporting the number AND then comparing it to last June's South-Eastern US location... may be disappointing.

But maybe not?

"travel'n" John

Comparing rally attendance between eastern and great plains locations will always show a big difference. Attendance will be lower in the great plains because the general population density is much less, the density of all brands of riders is much less, and even moreso, the density of BMW riders is much less.

And huge crowds don't automatically make a rally "better" or more successful. From BMW MOA's standpoint the key is to accurately estimate the attendance in advance and to then budget appropriately for that size.

Personally I can have as much fun riding to and from a well located 4,000 person rally as an 8,000 person rally. And I can have just as much fun at the rally too. It is a fool's errand to try to rate the success of a rally by how many people can find the time-off and are willing to travel the thousand or more miles to a more remote location.

I know west coast folks who have sworn to never travel east of Interstate Highway 25. I also know eastern folks who have vowed never to ride west of the Mississippi River. I will probably ride most anywhere to go to a BMW MOA annual rally; but other than that my vow is to never again go east of the Mississippi river unless it is only to Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

There was about 2,900 people that signed up for early registration this year before 2/16.

Tori

Certainly nothing disappointing about that number! Especially considering the distance to/from Great Falls for the majority of our members.

I chalk this up to folks eager for travel in a region of the US with great riding opportunities... and the month of June!

Add in about 1,100 others that will likely attend, and a 4,000 Rally Attendance in that zone seems favorable.

"travel'n" John

East of the Mississippi

Comparing rally attendance between eastern and great plains locations will always show a big difference. Attendance will be lower in the great plains because the general population density is much less, the density of all brands of riders is much less, and even moreso, the density of BMW riders is much less.

And huge crowds don't automatically make a rally "better" or more successful. From BMW MOA's standpoint the key is to accurately estimate the attendance in advance and to then budget appropriately for that size.

Personally I can have as much fun riding to and from a well located 4,000 person rally as an 8,000 person rally. And I can have just as much fun at the rally too. It is a fool's errand to try to rate the success of a rally by how many people can find the time-off and are willing to travel the thousand or more miles to a more remote location.

I know west coast folks who have sworn to never travel east of Interstate Highway 25. I also know eastern folks who have vowed never to ride west of the Mississippi River. I will probably ride most anywhere to go to a BMW MOA annual rally; but other than that my vow is to never again go east of the Mississippi river unless it is only to Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Although the southern parts of Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia may be a bit boring for motorcyclists, I wouldn't count out northern Georgia or Alabama and certainly not Arkansas! There's lots of good riding in the east. And if we keep the Rally in June the weather should be accommodating.
And just so y'all know; Fargo is west of the Mississippi!

Although the southern parts of Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia may be a bit boring for motorcyclists, I wouldn't count out northern Georgia or Alabama and certainly not Arkansas! There's lots of good riding in the east. And if we keep the Rally in June the weather should be accommodating.
And just so y'all know; Fargo is west of the Mississippi!

I wrote that I would go most anywhere for a BMW MOA annual rally. But that otherwise ... Arkansas is, or was the last time I looked, west of the Mississippi and an excellent place to ride. When we lived near Kansas City it was a go-to weekend destination, along with southern Missouri (also west of the Mississippi. As for those other states, parts of them might be fine in April or May, but heat and humidity and traffic congestion and motorcycling do not mix well for me. I admit I am a small town and rural creature (who was a city planner in urban areas for 30 years) and that I detest trying to enjoy riding a motorcycle in congested areas.

I also readily admit that I have met many riders from more densely populated areas who have high levels of anxiety riding in the great plains and inter-mountain west where it may be 100 or more miles to gas and 150 miles to a hospital, when they are used to being withing walking distance of a convenience store most of the time.

We like what we like, and dislike what we don't. Each to their own. YMMV totally.

Arkansas is, or was the last time I looked, west of the Mississippi and an excellent place to ride. .

NW Arkansas would be great but I'm guessing Bentonville and Fayetteville are the only options for facilities large enough and that area is really busy with a lot of traffic.
Branson, Mo. is also too busy for us.

NW Arkansas would be great but I'm guessing Bentonville and Fayetteville are the only options for facilities large enough and that area is really busy with a lot of traffic.
Branson, Mo. is also too busy for us.

With my tongue firmly in my cheek: If the westerners who won't come east of I-25 and the easterners who won't go west of the Mississippi stay away, Bentonville or Fayetteville might work. But not nearly as well as Fargo. :wave

Oh the pain I still feel. Way too many ambulance runs for one rally.

Bloomsburg is less than three hours from my place in the Southern Tier of New York. I planned to go to that rally, but it was too blasted hot. I've been here more than 35 years and that week was by far the hottest in that time period. That was the week that convinced me to have central air installed in my house. No kidding...It was South Carolina heat...or Kansas City heat...

Back