Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: early numbers

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    994

    early numbers

    Is there anyway knowing how many signed up for the early rally registration [pre 2/16/2020]?

  2. #2
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    771

    Lightbulb

    My thoughts/guess: Yes; but reporting the number AND then comparing it to last June's South-Eastern US location... may be disappointing.

    But maybe not?

    "travel'n" John

  3. #3
    Registered User tori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Is there anyway knowing how many signed up for the early rally registration [pre 2/16/2020]?
    There was about 2,900 people that signed up for early registration this year before 2/16.

    Tori
    Tori
    #219571

  4. #4
    got, got, got no time... rguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rogersville, MO
    Posts
    543
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65
    _______________________
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    My thoughts/guess: Yes; but reporting the number AND then comparing it to last June's South-Eastern US location... may be disappointing.

    But maybe not?

    "travel'n" John
    Comparing rally attendance between eastern and great plains locations will always show a big difference. Attendance will be lower in the great plains because the general population density is much less, the density of all brands of riders is much less, and even moreso, the density of BMW riders is much less.

    And huge crowds don't automatically make a rally "better" or more successful. From BMW MOA's standpoint the key is to accurately estimate the attendance in advance and to then budget appropriately for that size.

    Personally I can have as much fun riding to and from a well located 4,000 person rally as an 8,000 person rally. And I can have just as much fun at the rally too. It is a fool's errand to try to rate the success of a rally by how many people can find the time-off and are willing to travel the thousand or more miles to a more remote location.

    I know west coast folks who have sworn to never travel east of Interstate Highway 25. I also know eastern folks who have vowed never to ride west of the Mississippi River. I will probably ride most anywhere to go to a BMW MOA annual rally; but other than that my vow is to never again go east of the Mississippi river unless it is only to Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    771

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by tori View Post
    There was about 2,900 people that signed up for early registration this year before 2/16.

    Tori
    Certainly nothing disappointing about that number! Especially considering the distance to/from Great Falls for the majority of our members.

    I chalk this up to folks eager for travel in a region of the US with great riding opportunities... and the month of June!

    Add in about 1,100 others that will likely attend, and a 4,000 Rally Attendance in that zone seems favorable.

    "travel'n" John

  7. #7
    Rally Rat 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    611

    East of the Mississippi

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Comparing rally attendance between eastern and great plains locations will always show a big difference. Attendance will be lower in the great plains because the general population density is much less, the density of all brands of riders is much less, and even moreso, the density of BMW riders is much less.

    And huge crowds don't automatically make a rally "better" or more successful. From BMW MOA's standpoint the key is to accurately estimate the attendance in advance and to then budget appropriately for that size.

    Personally I can have as much fun riding to and from a well located 4,000 person rally as an 8,000 person rally. And I can have just as much fun at the rally too. It is a fool's errand to try to rate the success of a rally by how many people can find the time-off and are willing to travel the thousand or more miles to a more remote location.

    I know west coast folks who have sworn to never travel east of Interstate Highway 25. I also know eastern folks who have vowed never to ride west of the Mississippi River. I will probably ride most anywhere to go to a BMW MOA annual rally; but other than that my vow is to never again go east of the Mississippi river unless it is only to Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

    Although the southern parts of Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia may be a bit boring for motorcyclists, I wouldn't count out northern Georgia or Alabama and certainly not Arkansas! There's lots of good riding in the east. And if we keep the Rally in June the weather should be accommodating.
    And just so y'all know; Fargo is west of the Mississippi!
    Boxerbruce

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Although the southern parts of Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia may be a bit boring for motorcyclists, I wouldn't count out northern Georgia or Alabama and certainly not Arkansas! There's lots of good riding in the east. And if we keep the Rally in June the weather should be accommodating.
    And just so y'all know; Fargo is west of the Mississippi!
    I wrote that I would go most anywhere for a BMW MOA annual rally. But that otherwise ... Arkansas is, or was the last time I looked, west of the Mississippi and an excellent place to ride. When we lived near Kansas City it was a go-to weekend destination, along with southern Missouri (also west of the Mississippi. As for those other states, parts of them might be fine in April or May, but heat and humidity and traffic congestion and motorcycling do not mix well for me. I admit I am a small town and rural creature (who was a city planner in urban areas for 30 years) and that I detest trying to enjoy riding a motorcycle in congested areas.

    I also readily admit that I have met many riders from more densely populated areas who have high levels of anxiety riding in the great plains and inter-mountain west where it may be 100 or more miles to gas and 150 miles to a hospital, when they are used to being withing walking distance of a convenience store most of the time.

    We like what we like, and dislike what we don't. Each to their own. YMMV totally.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  9. #9
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    and dislike what we don't.
    Bloomsburg is calling you......
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  10. #10
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,044
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Arkansas is, or was the last time I looked, west of the Mississippi and an excellent place to ride. .
    NW Arkansas would be great but I'm guessing Bentonville and Fayetteville are the only options for facilities large enough and that area is really busy with a lot of traffic.
    Branson, Mo. is also too busy for us.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    NW Arkansas would be great but I'm guessing Bentonville and Fayetteville are the only options for facilities large enough and that area is really busy with a lot of traffic.
    Branson, Mo. is also too busy for us.
    With my tongue firmly in my cheek: If the westerners who won't come east of I-25 and the easterners who won't go west of the Mississippi stay away, Bentonville or Fayetteville might work. But not nearly as well as Fargo.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Bloomsburg is calling you...……………...
    Oh the pain I still feel. Way too many ambulance runs for one rally.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  13. #13
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Oh the pain I still feel. Way too many ambulance runs for one rally.
    Bloomsburg is less than three hours from my place in the Southern Tier of New York. I planned to go to that rally, but it was too blasted hot. I've been here more than 35 years and that week was by far the hottest in that time period. That was the week that convinced me to have central air installed in my house. No kidding...It was South Carolina heat...or Kansas City heat...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Similar Threads

  1. FD numbers
    By 8ninety8 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 11:11 PM
  2. Part Numbers vs. Casting Numbers
    By k1300gtglenn in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
  3. Identification by the numbers
    By lmc3881 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
  4. denier numbers?
    By 31310 in forum Gear
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •