Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2014 R12RTW vrs The mother of all potholes

Thx to all for the input. Thinking road hazard, I checked with my insurance carrier (useless) and they would not cover it under comp. Because the bike was moving they defined it as collision and thus my higher deductible ($500) would apply. Plus they did all they could to make the process sound like it was going to be a real pain (how much of the fault is mine, who's responsible for the road's condition, etc.). Time to find a new carrier.
    I think I'll give Woody's a call and send them a pic of the ding to see what they say. As others have noted, a reputable shop would not "fix" something if it was at all questionable as to the long-term safety of the "fix". I don't really want to go the new wheel route if at all possible. Sounds like an expensive PITA.

tire.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Bobzilla View Post
    Thx to all for the input. Thinking road hazard, I checked with my insurance carrier (useless) and they would not cover it under comp. Because the bike was moving they defined it as collision and thus my higher deductible ($500) would apply. Plus they did all they could to make the process sound like it was going to be a real pain (how much of the fault is mine, who's responsible for the road's condition, etc.). Time to find a new carrier.
    I think I'll give Woody's a call and send them a pic of the ding to see what they say. As others have noted, a reputable shop would not "fix" something if it was at all questionable as to the long-term safety of the "fix". I don't really want to go the new wheel route if at all possible. Sounds like an expensive PITA.

tire.JPG
    What insurance company do you have?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I checked with my insurance carrier (useless) and they would not cover it under comp. Because the bike was moving they defined it as collision and thus my higher deductible ($500) would apply.
    That's odd, my comprehensive will cover hitting a deer or other animal.

Good idea to send the picture to Woody's. They should be able to fix you up.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Progressive. Anyone have any input on BMWMOA's recommended insurance carrier American Modern Insurance?

Progressive.
    That is definitely Progressive’s policy—if the wheels are moving, it’s a collision and they won’t touch it under comp. Other carriers may do the same. I learned this the hard way years ago when I was pushing my K13GT from the garage to the driveway, without straddling the bike, and it over-centered and got away from me. Minor touch ups needed, but because the wheels were turning it was $1k deductible collision instead of $100 deductible comp. So, if I ever find myself in a similar walking-speed situation I’ll make darn sure to lock up the brakes before the bike tips.

In your case, looking at the pics I’d be surprised if it was any more expensive a repair than similar dings I have had fixed over the years (ala the mid-1990s 3-spoke wheels). Those were always under $200 for straightening and shipping.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Yes it seems the sum of the parts are worth far more then we pay for a whole bike. It is crazy what they ask for parts. Those numbers for a wheel are just nuts!
    JUST NUTS?!?!?!?!? HOLY S**T what does the rest of the wheel cost?

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    JUST NUTS?!?!?!?!? HOLY S**T what does the rest of the wheel cost?
    Yes, but. When I consider the cost of keeping parts for 40 year bikes (not this one) in the supply chain and available within hours or days, I expect some overhead costs for parts. Do I like it? No!

But I still remember a 6 year old Japanese bike I needed parts for, where the parts were not available so I sold it to a dealer for more than I paid for it because he wanted it for parts.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Wheel Repairs

I had a similar bend in the lip of my front wheel. I ran over a rogue piece of metal on the road and was lucky it didn't cut the tire. I dismounted the wheel, brought it to Edmonton Wheel Works (local place), and they did a fabulous job. Note: aluminum wheels (such as these) should not be hammered back into shape as its brittle. They will likely dismount the wheel, brakes, weld it up, machine it down, and repaint. Mine looks good as new.

Go get it repaired.

I don't see anything listed on https://www.beemerboneyard.com/ as being in stock at the moment, but it might be worth a phone call.
    2016 R1200RT
    2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
    2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
    1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    I don't see anything listed on https://www.beemerboneyard.com/ as being in stock at the moment, but it might be worth a phone call.
    I bet front wheels go fast.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I bet front wheels go fast.
    Actually, I think rear wheels sell quicker as there are a lot of us who like a second rear wheel to better manage tire use/consumption. it’s nice to be able to swap in a rear for a road trip, then swap again when home so as to use up a rear on local rides.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Similar to mine

Maybe a bit bigger than that, but that looks like how my front wheel suffered. Based on my experience with Woody’s, it’ll be easily fixed. Just mail it off asap, they’re a busy shop.

tire.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ebell View Post
    Maybe a bit bigger than that, but that looks like how my front wheel suffered. Based on my experience with Woody’s, it’ll be easily fixed. Just mail it off asap, they’re a busy shop.
    Yes Woody will make that as new and I bet with less runout then the original wheel.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Thanks for the Pic. IMO fixing that rim is better than not fixing it, but that said, I rode one just like that for 20,000 miles before I sold it and it never lost air.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

There is a place in Sacramento GPFrame straightening he does wheels too!Used to be in Napa.