• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bikes on the S.S. Badger

My advice: bring your own. Use them if you need to. Use their's if available and if they work. For absolute sure bring soft ties. Or some good old fashioned rope. Learn some good old boyscout or navy knots too.:scratch

My advice: bring your own. Use them if you need to. Use their's if available and if they work. For absolute sure bring soft ties.

I agree. I like to travel fairly light and it was not a big deal that one trip to carry straps in case we took the ferry.
I always carry soft ties.

A lot of ferries you don't need to tie the bike down but there's no way I would not tie down when crossing one of the Great Lakes.

I always replace the hooks on my tie downs with snap links. If a strap with a hooks gets loose the hook can release from its attachment point. A snap link will more likely remain attached and offer at least some restraint.

so true. s hooks bad idea for tiedowns. as are those cam buckles. they can and do slip. only use ratchet straps.

i have had great experience with Rhino brand stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Ratchet-...CS0GAW7424X&psc=1&refRID=W9W31PM2ECS0GAW7424X

you can see how my bike is tied down on the side stand side with the cinch straps, works for me on all the ferries I tie down on
IMG_0058-L.jpg
crappy photo but you can see she used 3 straps on hers
IMG_0549-L.jpg
one of the rare times I put it on the centre stand and I don't remember why I did, might have been the location of tie down points in the floor
IMG_0550-L.jpg

THanks To All!

Hi Michiganders and Wisconsinites. I am thinking about taking the Badger across the Lake on my cross-country trip this year. Has anyone done this before? What kind of tie-downs would you recommend and from where (to purchase)? Thanks - Mark

Thanks to everyone who answered my query. I am open to suggestions for a circle tour on the UP. Our plan is to cross from Ludington, Overnight in WI, cross back to Ludinton next day and clockwise around the Lake. I will say goodbye to my buddy and then head to Duluth and on to Baudette, the. Home to CA via the high line out to Spokane, then South.

Thanks all!

Hanks to everyone who answered my query. I am open to suggestions for a circle tour on the UP. Our plan is to cross from Ludington, Overnight in WI, cross back to Ludinton next day and clockwise around the Lake. I will say goodbye to my buddy and then head to Duluth and on to Baudette, the. Home to CA via the high line out to Spokane, then South.

Thanks all!

POIs
Soo Locks
Mackinac Bridge
Point Iroquois Light
Great Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point
Tahquamenon Falls (Upper and Lower)
Boat tour of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Marquettee (Harbor area)
Copper Harbor
Ludington Park Escanaba
Seul Choix Point lighthouse near Gulliver

Last edited:
POIs
Soo Locks
Mackinac Bridge
Point Iroquois Light
Great Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point
Tahquamenon Falls (Upper and Lower)
Boat tour of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Marquettee (Harbor area)
Copper Harbor
Ludington Park Escanaba

near Gulliver

P1020480.JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (29).JPG

Point Iroquois Light UP (1).JPG

Shipwreck Museum
Whitefish Point Light UP (2).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (67).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (71).JPG

Lower Falls, UP (2).JPG

Copper Harbor
Light (1).jpg
You need to take a small boat to get to the Lighthouse.
Light (2).jpg

Seul Choix Point Lighthouse
20170923_103126.jpg

The ride up to Copper Harbor is special. Nice tree covered road with nice winding curves. Copper Harbor is the Northern most city in Michigan I think. Plenty of cheap hotels and great water views.

Up in that area you should try a ride in “The Tunnel of Trees”
and take a walk in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore.”

Pictures from SS Badger on the way back from Des Moines Rally. Over 100 vintage motorcycles were headed to Ludington, they couldn't fit all on one side of the ferry. I used ratchet straps with soft loops.
cf041ab8d0f6337fe642d0259d1c4648.jpg
7250efc9e22df860660fc4045592253f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

S.S. Badger Midnight Run

I once took my bike on the midnight run and brought my sleeping bag for a romantic sleep on deck under the stars.

Lessons learned:
1) Coal fired ships rain coal particles down on you
2) Its really cold in the middle of lake Michigan
3) The fog horn is really LOUD and repeats every minute or two.

I never got any sleep but laughed my *ss off.

I have taken the Badger 3 times. They pack the bikes really tight together. My tip is to be the first or last bike. Having spent 6 years in the Navy it is a thrill to watch the captain maneuver the ship next to the pier with no tugs.

High-Speed Alternative to The Badger

There is a faster alternative to The Badger. A high-speed ferry goes from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI in 2.5 hours. It's smooth, un-crowded, clean and comfortable but not cheap. I took it westbound a few years ago. The ferry supplied tie-downs, but the passage was so smooth that they really weren't necessary.

Two photos: One of my bike tied down and another of the stern of the vessel when we were hauling along at 35 knots (see Harley on the stern):

IMG_1478.jpgIMG_1499.jpg

The CAT that used to run from Yarmouth to Portland was a cool ride, I can't remember how fast it went but it was cruising! Am I wrong to think 90 kmh? Sure saved a lot of time from riding all the way around.

I can't count how many times I've been on the Newfoundland ferries. Really hoping the Argentia ferry is put back on this year, it was cancelled last year.

I can tell you a 1.5 hour ride to the boat is a lot nicer than a 9 hour ride and I don't mind 14 hours bobbing around vs 6.

The CAT that used to run from Yarmouth to Portland was a cool ride, I can't remember how fast it went but it was cruising! Am I wrong to think 90 kmh? Sure saved a lot of time from riding all the way around.

I can't count how many times I've been on the Newfoundland ferries. Really hoping the Argentia ferry is put back on this year, it was cancelled last year.

I can tell you a 1.5 hour ride to the boat is a lot nicer than a 9 hour ride and I don't mind 14 hours bobbing around vs 6.

Looks like it'll be a while until it runs again:

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 10.35.27 AM.png

No surprise on the Yarmouth ferry, I was thinking of the North Sydney-Argentia ferry. Hoping to go run the Trans Taiga I September and it would be nice to avoid riding both ways across the island.

Back