Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bikes on the S.S. Badger

Bikes on the S.S. Badger

Hi Michiganders and Wisconsinites. I am thinking about taking the Badger across the Lake on my cross-country trip this year. Has anyone done this before? What kind of tie-downs would you recommend and from where (to purchase)? Thanks - Mark

Mark -

I found some older threads here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Ferry-Tie-Down

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Tie-Down-Hints

You can also try going to google and typing "site:forums.bmwmoa.org badger" into the search box...I saw quite a few more threads that seemed to be about this ferry ride.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Question

In 2018, Badger tie-downs were of a "mixed condition"... some looked newer & nice, others well exercised & grungy/dirty.

One thing to remember, the Badger and ALL OTHERS I've used everywhere... Alaska, Mexico, Canadian Maritimes & multiple rides stateside...

Ferries USE Commercial Quality Equipment; not the stuff you usually see hanging in stores we generally shop.

It's large & robust for strength & durability.

Your friend in adapting this equipment is for you to bring multiple "Soft Ties"... preventing their hardware from directly touching the bike.

Double them up & extend as necessary... they pack tight.

"travel'n" John

I used My Mosko Moto cinch straps on my last Alaska crossing, on the Newfoundland ferries I always use the ones provided. Personally rusty hooks direct to my bikes does not bother me.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

You might want to consider the fast ferry at Muskegon/Milwaukee (https://www.lake-express.com). Transit time 2.5 hours vs. 4 hours.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    You might want to consider the fast ferry at Muskegon/Milwaukee (https://www.lake-express.com). Transit time 2.5 hours vs. 4 hours.
    Thanks for mentioning this alternative. It might appeal to some riders. But, I am too old to care about an extra hour and a half on a boat if the alternative means I have to go to Milwaukee. I just don't like major cities.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Agree

Not only is Milwaukee unpleasant to drive through if you are heading west which you are the roads from Milwaukee funnel you South and west to northern Illinois or to the Madison area both cluster areas if you go north to miss these areas you might as well take the other ferry. I personally would ride around the north side of Lake Michigan to miss the Milwaukee, Madison areas.
    Edit: cycle gear has a nice set of tie downs

F2233597-C7C0-495C-ACA7-23F1010D3EDE.png
    Last edited by 179212; 02-19-2020 at 03:54 PM.

The OP seems to be more interested in tie downs for the ferry. Just sayin'...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

A few years ago on a trip to the New England states I thought we might take one of the ferries across Lake Michigan so I carried some soft ties my wife made and some light duty straps.
    We didn't end up taking the ferry but something basic like these should work.
    This was enough straps for two bikes.
    Straps.jpg
    Last edited by Lee; 02-21-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

On the ferries I’ve ridden, including the cross-gulf ferry to Whittier in Alaska, the crews have had no issues with me tying down my own bikes and appreciated that I came prepared. I carried a half-dozen soft ties and three or four regular tie-down straps that I normally use on my trailer—like the ones in Lee’s picture. On some ferries the tie-down points in the deck are configured to hold a t-shaped metal end on the ferry straps, but I had no trouble getting hooked in. If you tie the bike on it’s sidestand make sure to include a strap to tie the sidestand to the front fork so it can’t be accidentally retracted.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

On the Badger you tie down your bike. you ride it into the hold and put the front tire against the bulkhead(wall) next to other bikes parked the same way. there are ample tie downs of serious strengths as Travl'n John said use your soft ties on the bike and there are slots on the deck to anchor the hook end to, very steady.The bulkhead keeps bike from moving forward and the three point stance of the bike with the tires and sidestand combined with the straps works well.
    Knick
    R1200GS
    Vespa ET4

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    On the ferries I’ve ridden, including the cross-gulf ferry to Whittier in Alaska, the crews have had no issues with me tying down my own bikes and appreciated that I came prepared. I carried a half-dozen soft ties and three or four regular tie-down straps that I normally use on my trailer—like the ones in Lee’s picture. On some ferries the tie-down points in the deck are configured to hold a t-shaped metal end on the ferry straps, but I had no trouble getting hooked in. If you tie the bike on it’s sidestand make sure to include a strap to tie the sidestand to the front fork so it can’t be accidentally retracted.

Best,
    DeVern
    Never been on a ferry but have tied a few things down. Along with the above, I like to have the bike in first gear and sometimes wrap the front brake lever to keep the wheel from turning.
    Big fan of Ancra cam lock straps.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by mplisa View Post
    Hi Michiganders and Wisconsinites. I am thinking about taking the Badger across the Lake on my cross-country trip this year. Has anyone done this before? What kind of tie-downs would you recommend and from where (to purchase)? Thanks - Mark
    I've used Ancra Tie downs for decades. You only need 2 of them. https://www.amazon.com/Ancra-49380-1...%2C240&sr=8-10

Don't forget to put your ticket in the jar at the store to win a pizza !

...and if you're of a certain age, don't forget to ask for the "Sr Discount" for your ticket.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    I've used Ancra Tie downs for decades. You only need 2 of them...
    Any photos of this 2-strap tie-down method?