• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bikes on the S.S. Badger

mplisa

Hi Michiganders and Wisconsinites. I am thinking about taking the Badger across the Lake on my cross-country trip this year. Has anyone done this before? What kind of tie-downs would you recommend and from where (to purchase)? Thanks - Mark

In 2018, Badger tie-downs were of a "mixed condition"... some looked newer & nice, others well exercised & grungy/dirty.

One thing to remember, the Badger and ALL OTHERS I've used everywhere... Alaska, Mexico, Canadian Maritimes & multiple rides stateside...

Ferries USE Commercial Quality Equipment; not the stuff you usually see hanging in stores we generally shop.

It's large & robust for strength & durability.

Your friend in adapting this equipment is for you to bring multiple "Soft Ties"... preventing their hardware from directly touching the bike.

Double them up & extend as necessary... they pack tight.

"travel'n" John

I used My Mosko Moto cinch straps on my last Alaska crossing, on the Newfoundland ferries I always use the ones provided. Personally rusty hooks direct to my bikes does not bother me.

Agree

Not only is Milwaukee unpleasant to drive through if you are heading west which you are the roads from Milwaukee funnel you South and west to northern Illinois or to the Madison area both cluster areas if you go north to miss these areas you might as well take the other ferry. I personally would ride around the north side of Lake Michigan to miss the Milwaukee, Madison areas.
Edit: cycle gear has a nice set of tie downs

F2233597-C7C0-495C-ACA7-23F1010D3EDE.png

Last edited:
The OP seems to be more interested in tie downs for the ferry. Just sayin'... :wave

A few years ago on a trip to the New England states I thought we might take one of the ferries across Lake Michigan so I carried some soft ties my wife made and some light duty straps.
We didn't end up taking the ferry but something basic like these should work.
This was enough straps for two bikes.
Straps.jpg

Last edited:
On the ferries I’ve ridden, including the cross-gulf ferry to Whittier in Alaska, the crews have had no issues with me tying down my own bikes and appreciated that I came prepared. I carried a half-dozen soft ties and three or four regular tie-down straps that I normally use on my trailer—like the ones in Lee’s picture. On some ferries the tie-down points in the deck are configured to hold a t-shaped metal end on the ferry straps, but I had no trouble getting hooked in. If you tie the bike on it’s sidestand make sure to include a strap to tie the sidestand to the front fork so it can’t be accidentally retracted.

Best,
DeVern

On the Badger you tie down your bike. you ride it into the hold and put the front tire against the bulkhead(wall) next to other bikes parked the same way. there are ample tie downs of serious strengths as Travl'n John said use your soft ties on the bike and there are slots on the deck to anchor the hook end to, very steady.The bulkhead keeps bike from moving forward and the three point stance of the bike with the tires and sidestand combined with the straps works well.

On the ferries I’ve ridden, including the cross-gulf ferry to Whittier in Alaska, the crews have had no issues with me tying down my own bikes and appreciated that I came prepared. I carried a half-dozen soft ties and three or four regular tie-down straps that I normally use on my trailer—like the ones in Lee’s picture. On some ferries the tie-down points in the deck are configured to hold a t-shaped metal end on the ferry straps, but I had no trouble getting hooked in. If you tie the bike on it’s sidestand make sure to include a strap to tie the sidestand to the front fork so it can’t be accidentally retracted.

Best,
DeVern

Never been on a ferry but have tied a few things down. Along with the above, I like to have the bike in first gear and sometimes wrap the front brake lever to keep the wheel from turning.
Big fan of Ancra cam lock straps.
OM

I always replace the hooks on my tie downs with snap links. If a strap with a hooks gets loose the hook can release from its attachment point. A snap link will more likely remain attached and offer at least some restraint.

I've never ridden on the Badger, but rode ferries to, from and around Alaska. Sometimes they provided straps and sometimes they did not. When they did provide them they were filthy and in poor condition.

From the FAQ page on the SS Badger page:

Miscellaneous

Q: Do you provide motorcycle tie-downs? Do I have to tie down my own motorcycle?
A: Passengers are required to provide two tie-downs per motorcycle. Tie-downs should be adjustable, heavy-duty nylon with a metal S-hook on one end.

It’s been a few years since I rode the Badger and at that time they did not provide tie-downs but the attendant there told a guy that didn’t have them that they sold them in the office. I didn’t actually see if the guy ever got some so I can’t confirm that. I brought my own with soft ties.

It’s been a few years since I rode the Badger and at that time they did not provide tie-downs but the attendant there told a guy that didn’t have them that they sold them in the office. I didn’t actually see if the guy ever got some so I can’t confirm that. I brought my own with soft ties.

From experience - the tie downs sold in the office are expensive and cheap. Bring your own, ratchet straps work best, soft ties for the bike end, S-hooks work best on the Badger attachment points.

I rode the Badger in July 2019 the faq said bring your own which I did but never used them because there were plenty on the ship that were industrial strength so I just used those with my soft ties.

Back