Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gerbing problem

Left Coast Rider
    Pardon my ignorance but.....why would one want to run their heated gear when the bike isn't running? Isn't that a great way to quickly drain the battery? And if your bike is off, and its cold out, aren't you inside having a coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but.....why would one want to run their heated gear when the bike isn't running? Isn't that a great way to quickly drain the battery? And if your bike is off, and its cold out, aren't you inside having a coffee?
    The issue is that BMW in its wisdom limits the output of the factory installed socket to fewer amperes of current than the heated gear draws. So the computer that controls that circuit shuts it off. It is not an issue of the engine running or not. It is an issue of the circuit not being adequate for the purpose given the current limitation even though the wiring and the socket could carry the current except for the computer shutting it off. Thus a direct connection to the battery that is not controlled by that CANBUS controller works while the factory circuit does not.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Wander through the dealer showrooms and you now see a lot of new bikes being sent out with a direct-to-battery SAE connector zip-tied to the frame. Battery Tender sells these in bulk, making them inexpensive enough to just include with the bike, and while their stated purpose is to offer an easy connection for battery charger/maintainer they work well for connecting heated gear.

Bulk: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B002OPLEXQ

Singles: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...2210424&sr=8-4

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

BMW: Oh, we can do that even if you don't need it!

its cold out, aren't you inside having a coffee
    I fully agree from a human's perspective! From a technical standpoint there was this question.

Electric heated vests draw close to 5A. Adding another heated vest or heated gloves brings it easily over the (ridiculous!) 5A limit. One could use both outlets with 5A each if the BMW designer didn't have the glorious idea to have them wired together so the total of both is 5A. I don't know.

I was full of admiration for the extra complexity BMW designers put into these accessory outlets. I fiddled with conspicuous lights attached to that outlet. One light draws 0.8A and it works - the light shut off 1 minute after ignition off. Good! Then I added the second one and both light shut off after 10 minutes!

This seems to be a designed feature to allow the BMW charger to work with this socket...I guess.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    To avoid any issues with heated gear or otherwise,I always installed extra, fused!, plugs directly onto the battery on both my RT and GSA.
    Easy to do and it will avoid any hassles.. YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post

So the Gerber and the Widder controller both do the same thing?

/Guenther
    In the first post he said the Gerbing controller shuts off after a minute but the Widder controller stays on.
    The same thing happens when he tried the other outlet.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I fully agree from a human's perspective! From a technical standpoint there was this question.

Electric heated vests draw close to 5A. Adding another heated vest or heated gloves brings it easily over the (ridiculous!) 5A limit. One could use both outlets with 5A each if the BMW designer didn't have the glorious idea to have them wired together so the total of both is 5A. I don't know.

I was full of admiration for the extra complexity BMW designers put into these accessory outlets. I fiddled with conspicuous lights attached to that outlet. One light draws 0.8A and it works - the light shut off 1 minute after ignition off. Good! Then I added the second one and both light shut off after 10 minutes!

This seems to be a designed feature to allow the BMW charger to work with this socket...I guess.

/Guenther
    The "great" design feature of negative valve. Considering the amperage limit, the outlet might as well be a USB for cell phone charging.

The BMW charger?.............Same function as several cheaper smart chargers when connected via a $5~7 fused SAE pigtail.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In the first post he said the Gerbing controller shuts off after a minute but the Widder controller stays on.
    The same thing happens when he tried the other outlet.
    Got it! Misunderstanding of a problem description leads to a failed diagnosis!

From what I know about the accessory outlets so far I don't understand why in joeyb1000's case it shuts off after one minute and not immediately. On my F700GS it shuts down immediately at about 5A - tested by mistake.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

Got it! Misunderstanding of a problem description leads to a failed diagnosis!

From what I know about the accessory outlets so far I don't understand why in joeyb1000's case it shuts off after one minute and not immediately. On my F700GS it shuts down immediately at about 5A - tested by mistake.

/Guenther
    Attempting to understand the vagaries of the CANBUS system of controllers as they vary from model to model and maybe even bike to bike (any updates lately?) seems to me to be a fools errand. There is simply too much variation, if one were to believe anecdotal evidence. Certainly as it relates to powering heated clothing and charging batteries it seems to me avoiding the entire system by connecting directly to the battery makes the most sense. Others will, I am sure, disagree.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Attempting to understand the vagaries of the CANBUS system of controllers as they vary from model to model and maybe even bike to bike (any updates lately?) seems to me to be a fools errand. There is simply too much variation, if one were to believe anecdotal evidence. Certainly as it relates to powering heated clothing and charging batteries it seems to me avoiding the entire system by connecting directly to the battery makes the most sense. Others will, I am sure, disagree.
    ^^^^^^^
    "Like" What He said
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

The CANBus system is best circumvented when adding any electric accessories to a bike. Fuse block, Hex exCAN or similar product, power distribution module/block or direct fused wire to the battery are the current options. While it is possible to run heated gear via any of these approaches I opt to use the direct connection to the battery. Heated gear is probably the biggest power demand you will install and can overload a fuse block when combined with other accessories, or it can take up a spot on the limited space on some other options.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana