• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to check front wheel bearings?

jsouth

Today I changed the front tire on my 2000 R1100RS. As I was prepping for the shake-down ride, I realized my bike has not had any maintenance on the front wheel bearings since 2011 when I purchased it with 66,000 miles on it (it now has 101,600 miles).

How do I check or maintain the bearings? I hear no noise or roughness, but I know that would only happen when the absolute worst was near, and it is certainly not something I want to hear on a trip. I'm certain this has been covered, but I could not find it in a search.

BTW the new tires are Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO dual compound tires. I'll report back on them after getting the rear tire on next weekend. I could not pass up riding weather in February to do both of them today!

The front bearings last a very long time unless the bike does many deep water crossings.
I changed mine out on my GS at 175k miles as I was planning to do Alaska and did not want any problems in a remote area.
Nothing wrong with the old ones (still have them as "spares")

That being said I check each tire change by inserting my index finger in each inner race and turn back and forth to feel any roughness or play.

The front bearings last a very long time unless the bike does many deep water crossings.
I changed mine out on my GS at 175k miles as I was planning to do Alaska and did not want any problems in a remote area.
Nothing wrong with the old ones (still have them as "spares")

That being said I check each tire change by inserting my index finger in each inner race and turn back and forth to feel any roughness or play.

Exactly. If the bearing is going bad you will feel roughness and if you feel roughness then you need to replace the bearing.

When I have the tire and wheel off the bike i stick the index finger from both hands in either side wheel bearing and give the wheel a spin by rolling the tire along the floor and letting it spin on my fingers. If you feel any catching or notchy feeling, replace the bearings.

Back