• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Syncing Basecamp between Computers?

droveto

Hi There - I use a Nav vi for my travels and have started using Basecamp to plan routes.

I use a desktop for my work at home and travel with a laptop.
Is there anyway to keep waypoints and routes easily sync'd between my laptop and desktop or is using the Nav vi as the medium to manually transfer this information between the three devices (nav vi, laptop and desktop) the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help!

Basecamp Files

I would use the desktop as the main storage for gpx files and then copy them to the laptop in a folder called maps. If you installed a micro SD card in the GPS you can transfer them directly to the card from a SD read/write slot on either computer, make sure the folder structure is /Garmin/gpx/file or you could use the usb cable from the computer to the GPS. Make sure you have the same map edition on all devices.

store all your files on onedrive or other cloud service. if computer and laptop both access them from there, then there is no copying or syching needed.

Back up BaseCamp on some sort of portable drive like a USB stick. Then plug it in to the second computer and "restore" from that backup.
It will be a mirror image.
But you'll have to do that each time you make a significant change to the master file.

Joe

Garmin used to have a cloud store where you could log on and sync your workstations. However that ended a while ago and he option disappeared with v 4.7.0.
They have provided a workaround procedure : https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?f...identifier=52801&searchQuery=Cloud&tab=topics

Basically it's doing a copy of my collection on the first PC and exporting it to cloud service and retrieving it from the other PC.

Doing it this way or just doing a backup/restore works just fine.

I've read that some have tried using a cloud storage such as onedrive or Google drive as the basis for a single database for two computers. It works as long as you don't try to access the database from both PCs at the same time, the DB would be corrupted if you did. Not worth it IMO.

My database has been in the cloud for several years, using Dropbox. (D:\Dropbox\Garmin on both desktop and my travel netbook) That has worked very well, and is backed up automatically when my desktop makes its weekly backup. I don't worry about corrupting the database since no one else has access to it and I have never had a reason to work with Basecamp on both machines at the same time.

My netbook is used primarily for travel, which means that it may be unused for weeks or months at a time. I boot it up a day or two before leaving to let it process any automatic updates. That can take several hours, and I prefer to get it taken care of using the home network rather than deal with it on the road or on slow public networks. The Dropbox database will sync during this preparation.

Back