• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toolkit for R1250GS

Binto

Greetings all. I am putting together a toolkit for my 1250GS. Most of my miles are road miles and I’ve never carried more than a tire repair kit other than when I travelled to the Yukon Territories three years ago on a V-Strom. For that trip I just cobbled together a bunch of stuff and tossed it in a bag; nothing needed to be used. What are most people doing? There is the new RTB2 kit from Touratech for $130. Is it sufficient? There is the massively priced toolkit from Adventure Designs but I don’t see $300 worth of tools in that kit unless I don’t know what I’m looking at. Does anyone have a definitive list for the 2019 GS? I’d appreciate any and all suggestions or comments. Thanks. Bruce

Welcome to the forum.
Here is what I carry on my R1200RS and my wife's R1200RS.
I can't think of anything different you need for the R1250.
I have pictures on my phone labeled where the tools are stored.
Most are carried in a 10 liter bag on my seat.

Redverz Seat Bag (2).jpg

Tank Bag.jpg

Lee's Bike (1).jpg

Deb's Bike.jpg

Tailbag or Saddle Bag.jpg

Saddle Bag.jpg

If I need to change rear tires I use this bolt to help hold the wheel while I get the first lug started.
In narrow blue bag in Redverz seat bag.jpg

redverz 13 liter bag (1).jpg

Welcome to the forum.
Here is what I carry on my R1200RS and my wife's R1200RS.
I can't think of anything different you need for the R1250.
I have pictures on my phone labeled where the tools are stored.
Most are carried in a 10 liter bag on my seat.

Lee thanks so much! May I ask where you found the blue pouch with the six torx drivers?
Bruc

That may be the real thing, I remember it was not cheap like the Amazon kit.
You could call Revzilla to make sure it's Motion Pro and not a copy.

Thanks, that’s a good idea. I also sent a note to Motion Pro.

Jim Von Baden put together a list of tools that are required for specific jobs on the Wethead GS. I suspect they all apply to your 1250 as well. You may want to consider his maintenance video for your bike. The tool list is free. The video is $30. Well worth it if you want to learn how to do basic maintenance on your bike, in my opinion.

Tool list: http://jimvonbaden.com/Tool Lists R1200 Wethead.doc

Jim Von Baden put together a list of tools that are required for specific jobs on the Wethead GS. I suspect they all apply to your 1250 as well. You may want to consider his maintenance video for your bike. The tool list is free. The video is $30. Well worth it if you want to learn how to do basic maintenance on your bike, in my opinion.

Tool list: http://jimvonbaden.com/Tool Lists R1200 Wethead.doc

Thanks very much Kevin. Grew up in Billings. Mighty hard to beat those roads. BT Hwy is simply a dream on a sport bike! Been over it many times.

As a road rider with occasional gravel, I thought about what I might realistically need on the road. I love what other people carry, but that is way beyond me. So here is what I try to deal with:

1-Repair a flat on a tubeless tire. Though I am not equipped to remove a tire.
2-Tighten or remove any fastener on the bike. I have been through the bike and only carry the ones I need.
3-Be able to duct-tape, zip tie, or wire pieces on the bike.
4-Be able to pick up the bike should I drop it. With my sketchy back I carry a motorcycle jack by Eastbound. This is the biggest piece at about 4.2lbs. but the one that gives me the most peace of mind.

C8BEABC7-C512-45AE-960E-7CE73CD8370F.jpg

Total weight of the kit in a Kreiga bag is 12.2lbs. With this compact kit I am comfortable riding quite a range of roads, though if I should start venturing further off-road I would re-think it. I love buying tools, but the pre-packaged kits contain much more than I need.

I carry tool kits on all of my bikes but they are all different. My R65 and R1100 come with dedicated tool sets and my KTM 640 has a slightly unscaled kit that also works for my 525. None of which really apply to a R1250. Have fun putting one together, there are many options.

Back when I toured on Harleys, I used to carry a tool roll that must have weighed 15 lbs. When I was still riding Evo's, every once-in-a-while something would vibrate loose I needed to tighten down. With the later Twin Cams, the tools stayed in the saddle bag. Now on my BMW, all I carry is a cell phone, credit card, tire plug kit with pump, and if I'm riding cross-country, I take my Garmin InReach Mini.

Back