Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Just bought a 2003 K1200GT!

  1. #1
    Registered User paul_waterloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12

    Just bought a 2003 K1200GT!

    Old time bike rider, but haven't rode in at least 10 years. Last bike was bought and sold back to my brother, a 77 R100RS. He still has it (I think he wants to sell it if anybody is interested), he just bought an 03 R1150RS and I've always wanted a K Bike.

    Been searching for a bit, looked at three of them, they were not in very good shape, albeit, they are almost 20 years old. Then there is one that comes up on ebay for no reserve (ends today, we'll see where she sells at), but it's in FL and I'm in the Chicago area. I was going to bid on it, but there is one in Peoria about 2.5 hours from me that I figured I should go look at first as I could just pick it up easily vs. spend $500 for shipping. Went down there yesterday after the salesman had texted me some pictures of the bike, it sure looked clean.

    I got there and WOW, the bike looks almost new. 24K miles, great rear case on it already, fuel line upgraded, Odyssey battery, has bar extenders and the little extra piece on the windshield at the top. The bike is SUPER CLEAN. I will detail it, but man, it looks awesome already. One small scratch on the front fairing and no other paint issues whatsoever. The previous owner lived in Peoria and you can tell this bike has been garaged its whole life.

    I bought it! Have to go back and pick it up.

    I will be doing a motorcycle skills course again (have done them twice in my life when I was in the Navy and bought a 1985 Honda Interceptor 500 new), they are excellent and I want to get comfortable again. Rode dirt bikes when I was in high school.

    Will go down and pick it up next weekend I think. It's in Peoria, about 5 hour round trip from Chicago. Looking forward to riding with my brother!

    Also looking forward to working on it, I'm an avid mechanic.












  2. #2
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,843
    Paul,

    What a beautiful bike!

    Welcome to the forum. I hope we can be of some help in your new journey.

    And welcome to the wonderful world of Flying Bricks. You're going to love it.





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  3. #3
    Registered User paul_waterloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12
    Thanks! Since I don't have the bike yet.....I can't really look, but when I took the seat off their was no tool bag, I have no idea where it would normally be stowed or if there is a place for the owner's manual either as I didn't easily find one.

    Does this bike have a 12 VDC socket on it? I didn't see one, but didn't really look.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_waterloo View Post
    Thanks! Since I don't have the bike yet.....I can't really look, but when I took the seat off their was no tool bag, I have no idea where it would normally be stowed or if there is a place for the owner's manual either as I didn't easily find one.

    Does this bike have a 12 VDC socket on it? I didn't see one, but didn't really look.

    Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum.
    The bike had a tool box and kit that sat on top of the battery. It had a decent kit so it would be nice if you can get it from the previous owner, or at least get the box.
    The accessory outlet is on the left side below the seat.
    Here's a drawing of the tool ox and kit.
    B0002247.png

    Location of accessory outlet.
    P9170029 - Copy.JPG
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Registered User paul_waterloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12
    Thanks.....I see that now. There is a kit on eBay right now, but just the tool kit, will have to look for the tray. I am trying to contact the previous owner also. I snuck a peak at the title before they whisked it away from me.

  6. #6
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,484
    Welcome to the world of the mighty K1200RS/GT! I have a black 2003 RS I bought new and it's a lifetime keeper for me. These bikes have some mass, so coming from lighter bikes I needed to learn to use the weight for stability and use the throttle to manage the weight, but once I did I just fell in love with it. I hope you will too.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  7. #7
    Nick Kennedy
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Telluride Colorado
    Posts
    404
    A friend has that exact same bike.
    I rode it for 100 miles last summer.
    I see a Radar Detector in your future.
    The Uniden R 1 for 200 bucks is a good one!
    Have fun.

  8. #8

    me too!

    I just bought an '03 GT similar to yours but mine is dark blue. It only has 26,000 on it, and is also very clean. I do feel I paid a premium price for it, though, at $4,700 from my dealer. But, it had the clutch replaced, all hydraulics bled and new fluids, etc., so there's been a lot of expensive service done to it. I'm a little nervous about the servo-assisted brakes on these models because when they fail, I hear it's like $3,000 to repair! I was just talking with a friend this past Saturday who has an '02 RT sitting in his garage with no brakes because of this problem. It's hard to sink 3 grand into a 20-year old bike when this happens... Still, others have driven them for hundreds of thousands of miles with no failure, so it's a crap shoot, I guess.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Welcome to the world of the mighty K1200RS/GT! I have a black 2003 RS I bought new and it's a lifetime keeper for me. These bikes have some mass, so coming from lighter bikes I needed to learn to use the weight for stability and use the throttle to manage the weight, but once I did I just fell in love with it. I hope you will too.
    Greg.. did you ever have to have the brake servo replaced? How many miles do you have on yours? Do you have the brakes bled/serviced at the 2 year intervals recommended?

    Thanks

    DAVE

  10. #10
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by davemyers View Post
    I just bought an '03 GT similar to yours but mine is dark blue. It only has 26,000 on it, and is also very clean. I do feel I paid a premium price for it, though, at $4,700 from my dealer. But, it had the clutch replaced, all hydraulics bled and new fluids, etc., so there's been a lot of expensive service done to it. I'm a little nervous about the servo-assisted brakes on these models because when they fail, I hear it's like $3,000 to repair! I was just talking with a friend this past Saturday who has an '02 RT sitting in his garage with no brakes because of this problem. It's hard to sink 3 grand into a 20-year old bike when this happens... Still, others have driven them for hundreds of thousands of miles with no failure, so it's a crap shoot, I guess.
    I have heard of only a few whizzy brake system problems, and those were all with the circuit board which runs the system, although I'm sure the pump itself (or other things) can fail. Unfortunately, that board is not repairable to the best of my knowledge so you have to get a replacement pump. New is very expensive but they can be found used for about $500 the last time I checked. This system was used on all the big BMW bikes in it's day, so it's my assumption if failures were common there would be more talk about it, especially now that they are approaching 20 years old. YMMV.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  11. #11
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by davemyers View Post
    Greg.. did you ever have to have the brake servo replaced? How many miles do you have on yours? Do you have the brakes bled/serviced at the 2 year intervals recommended?

    Thanks

    DAVE
    Unfortunately, the last several years I've not had a chance to ride my normal amounts, and I have several bikes to spread my miles over, so my 2003 k1200RS only has about 62,000 miles on it. The only issues I've had with it was a timing cover gasket leak (not uncommon) when it was new, and then a leaky rear main seal/O-ring about 2,000 miles ago. No problems with the whizzy brakes. I change the fluid about every three or four years. It is dry enough where I live that I've never had moisture contamination in any of my bike brake systems, and by my math there should be just some factor for mileage as well as time in this brake fluid change timing.

    Something important to know unrelated to brakes is to never try to start your bike if you suspect the battery is very weak. Converse, always keep a good battery and keep it charged. All K-bikes (from the original K100) have a starter relay which can arc and fuse "on" if you try to start the bike with a battery somewhere around "very weak" but not yet totally dead. This results in the starter continuing to run until the battery is totally dead (the key won't turn it off), and you will need a new starter relay. It's a real PITA to change on the K1200RS/GT as it's under the fuel cell ("gas tank" under the tupperware bodywork). I have several K-bikes and always carry a spare relay with me. Don't buy the OEM BMW part (expensive - surprise) as the same part can be had at reasonable price from Amazon.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  12. #12
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by davemyers View Post
    Greg.. did you ever have to have the brake servo replaced? How many miles do you have on yours? Do you have the brakes bled/serviced at the 2 year intervals recommended?
    I’m not Greg but I’ll chime in here. The rear master cylinder and the brake fluid reservoir were both replaced under warranty on my 2004 GT. That was done to clear a recurring brake fault, indicated by the alternating flashing lights that usually indicate a “fluid low” condition. To this day, the bike is very sensitive to fluid level in the reservoir, partly because the sidecar brake is tied into the rear brake and ABS system, but I’m OK with that and appreciate the occasional alert to check/top up the fluid. I flush brakes completely every two years, using a GS-911 to perform the brake bleed test, but the entire job is a PITA and worth paying a dealer tech to do it IF they are experienced with the boosted brakes.

    I have 100k on my GT, 52k of that has been pulling a sidecar that gives both engine and brakes a workout, and the brick-k just keeps going. Maintenance issues have been a rear main seal and o-ring replacement at 70k, a new clutch while I had it apart, and one broken driveshaft. The driveshaft was totally my fault for not servicing it every 12k by pulling out the rear half and lubing the center splines in the shaft and not just the splines at the rear of the shaft. That’s a job that requires paint-marking the shaft before splitting so it can be reassembled in proper phase.

    These are great bikes—smooth, powerful, and robust. Enjoy the heck out of yours!

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  13. #13
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I’m not Greg but I’ll chime in here. The rear master cylinder and the brake fluid reservoir were both replaced under warranty on my 2004 GT. That was done to clear a recurring brake fault, indicated by the alternating flashing lights that usually indicate a “fluid low” condition. To this day, the bike is very sensitive to fluid level in the reservoir, partly because the sidecar brake is tied into the rear brake and ABS system, but I’m OK with that and appreciate the occasional alert to check/top up the fluid. I flush brakes completely every two years, using a GS-911 to perform the brake bleed test, but the entire job is a PITA and worth paying a dealer tech to do it IF they are experienced with the boosted brakes.

    I have 100k on my GT, 52k of that has been pulling a sidecar that gives both engine and brakes a workout, and the brick-k just keeps going. Maintenance issues have been a rear main seal and o-ring replacement at 70k, a new clutch while I had it apart, and one broken driveshaft. The driveshaft was totally my fault for not servicing it every 12k by pulling out the rear half and lubing the center splines in the shaft and not just the splines at the rear of the shaft. That’s a job that requires paint-marking the shaft before splitting so it can be reassembled in proper phase.

    These are great bikes—smooth, powerful, and robust. Enjoy the heck out of yours!

    Best,
    DeVern

    DeVern makes a good point about the rear brake fluid level. My experience is that the linked brakes (using the front brake lever) seem to apply the rear brake more aggressively than I do on my bikes without linked brakes. That is good in that it provides more stopping power, but my rear pads wear out much faster than I was used to and also faster then my front pads. The first time this happened I got the brake light faulting he mentioned and it was caused by the rear pads wearing enough to drop the rear master cylinder fluid level enough to trigger that warning. So, keep an eye on your rear pads and the fluid level. There are actually two fluid levels - one for the rear brake circuit and one for the whizzy brakes, so check both.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  14. #14
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    There are actually two fluid levels - .
    It's very easy to not notice the inner chamber on the back reservoir.

    funnel.jpg

    res 1.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  15. #15
    Registered User paul_waterloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by davemyers View Post
    I just bought an '03 GT similar to yours but mine is dark blue. It only has 26,000 on it, and is also very clean. I do feel I paid a premium price for it, though, at $4,700 from my dealer. But, it had the clutch replaced, all hydraulics bled and new fluids, etc., so there's been a lot of expensive service done to it. I'm a little nervous about the servo-assisted brakes on these models because when they fail, I hear it's like $3,000 to repair! I was just talking with a friend this past Saturday who has an '02 RT sitting in his garage with no brakes because of this problem. It's hard to sink 3 grand into a 20-year old bike when this happens... Still, others have driven them for hundreds of thousands of miles with no failure, so it's a crap shoot, I guess.
    After seeing the bike I bought, it was so clean, I figured I would buy it. They were asking $4K (and it was for sale for about 8 months I think), but they had terrible pictures on cycletrader.com and were in Peoria, IL, so not a lot of BMW riders there. I got it for $3,725, and it didn't cost me a thing to ship it from FL (the eBay bike).....and then the no-reserve auction ended on the eBay bike yesterday. I was going to put in a snipe for $2,700 (actually I did, but I removed it after buying this bike), and it sold for $2,165! Based on the bids, I probably would of won it, but it would of been whatever the highest bidder had as he was not outbid. I'm going to say it would of not been more than $2,400, but then I would of had to ship it for $500, it has a few scratches on the bottom, but appeared to be in very good shape, the guy bought it less than 2 years ago, had trouble with his knee and only rode it 500 miles. He has a K1300GT also. If I wanted a rear case, it would be another $300-$400. So it really wouldn't of been much less than my bike.

    Here is the auction, I'm glad I got the one I did:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-BMW-K-Series/174186721361

    Going back and picking it up Saturday!

Similar Threads

  1. 2003 K1200GT Windshield
    By 35moon in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2019, 03:04 AM
  2. Where is the choke? 2003 K1200GT
    By jrmull in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-28-2019, 01:11 AM
  3. 2003 K1200GT help needed
    By GROUNDHOG105 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 11:56 PM
  4. 2003 k1200gt
    By akbeemer in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
  5. K1200gt 2003
    By gmr1200gsa in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •