Thread: K1200 fuel strip swap to K1300 float

K1200 fuel strip swap to K1300 float

If any are having a problem with the K1200 fuel strip, you might want to go to the K-Bike Forum. They have worked out the methodology to use a K1300 float system to replace the fuel strip and have pictures and step by step instructions.

Since you know what forum you mean and have seen this thread, how about a link?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Thanks for the link zoomie……...I've got my parts on order !
    2000 R1100RT , 2005 K1200S w/hack
    Niagara BMW Riders #298 BMWMCO #45
    "The measure of a society is how it protects its most vulnerable members."

It really works!

My shelf and a couple of others are the authors of that thread. I'm glad to see a reference here so that others can benefit from the information.

I was riding home from the rally in Lebanon Tenn. a year ago and mine quit. I called BMW and they said the 12 year grace period ran out a couple of weeks before I called. I asked them to give me a break because it actually quit within the time frame but I just didn't get around to reporting it. They said typically "No". The clock starts ticking the date your bike is sold/tagged for the 12 year "extended warranty".

So I started the thread to see if anyone had checked to see if a K1300 had a fuel strip. K1300s use a regular, normal, old school, whatever you want to call it, float/resistor sensor. So we started checking part numbers to see what parts matched. My 2006 K1200S had a metal fuel flange at the gas cap and a plastic one was used on later K1200S models and the K1300S. So I ordered a used float sensor off Ebay to start checking on the fitting of parts. Another guy knew of a thread where other model bikes had been done to get the wiring change in the ZKE module. He then figured out from wiring diagrams what wires to change on the K1200s. Another guy figured out which OBDII programers and software apps could write to the ZKE and where to make the programing change. I made the photos and the write up after successfully converting my bike. I have done about 4 other bikes. I did my bike in February and ride about every weekend and mine is still working perfectly. If you have to buy all the parts, OBII reader, cables, phone app, float sensor, etc. you will spend about $180 and it's permanent. About $222 buys a fuel strip and $400 for labor to put it in and it may last a month, week, couple of years, who knows.
    Good luck!
    du907