Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's the most desirable color scheme for a 1980 BMW R100T?

My experience is that you will never recover the cost of high quality paint work when it comes time to sell your airhead.
    1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    My experience is that you will never recover the cost of high quality paint work when it comes time to sell your airhead.
    Backyard paint job with airgun and compressor. I just started painting and my work has improved so the cost is paint and clear coat. I'm pricing it out $100 for materials. I figured my paint job skills at 80-90% correct with some minor imperfections. Most is buffed out on final pass. The pinstripe is the hard part and I'm going to do that too.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

I restored and painted the red one and worked on all these projects before painted only 1 bike in photos others we're NOS or original paint.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkid1 View Post
    I restored and painted the red one and worked on all these projects before painted only 1 bike in photos others we're NOS or original paint.

Good deal, I've been a backyard painter for years, very doable, with the exception it's getting very hard here in Ca. to get material anymore because of EPA burdens. I still can get paint supplies but not as easy as it was 20 years ago. Here's a pic of an SR500 I painted a couple of years ago. Acrylic Urethane enamel with a catalyzer. PPG i think, left over from a Ducati project. Great red color. Yeah, hand striping isn't easy, I bought a special camel hair brush for that, holds lots of paint. Good luck on the searching.
    Attachment 77214SR500_210.jpg

Absent extremely low mileage (like <10K miles), and/or a recent invoice from Kent Holt for whatever OEM paint scheme you decide on, a 1980 R100T is not a $6K bike. It’s more like a $3500-$4000 bike, if it’s in demonstrably nice shape, to a knowledgeable and interested buyer. As it is, it’s probably an optimal candidate for a millennial’s cafe-bike project. Which is not to say that you shouldn’t restore the motorcycle for your own use, or for the fun/experience of doing so.
    Last edited by khittner; 02-17-2020 at 12:49 AM.

I bought a 1980 BMW R100t and its painted Green metallic flakes.
    Thats one of the nicest colours Ive ever seen.
    Rinty

Nick Kennedy
    Thread drift warning...

CHUNK What happens when you order CA illegal paint and stuff from Amazon?
    Will they not ship it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Thread drift warning...

CHUNK What happens when you order CA illegal paint and stuff from Amazon?
    Will they not ship it to you?
    I've only ever bought my supplies from auto parts stores with a automotive paint department, or directly from a automotive paint store dealer. I would not have thought to try and see what Amazon sells. I had a friend buy me some supplies and a nice gloss black when he was in Nevada last. I think paint, reducer and thinner is going away. I had a heck of a time just finding solvent for parts cleaning, I was able to get Napa to order me 5 gallons, so good for now. 1 quart of color will usually be enough for a couple of motorcycles, and I don't paint as much as I used to and I've started to use a HVLP gun and that uses much, much less material, as opposed to my old DeVilbis gun that i use at about 60 psi at the tip. Lots of overspray but really nice for atomizing the paint for a smooth finish.

I bought a 1980 BMW R100t and its painted Green metallic flakes. It has a lot of chips and dents. I want to repaint a popular color because I want to sell it later maybe 6 months and I want to get the best dollars and most desirable color scheme. I'm thinking black with red pinstripe or white pinstripe.
    My choice Red with black pinstripe.
    What's the popular color scheme?

Candy apple read with gold flacks and double gold pin stripping!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 73 R75/5 SWB, 2010 Honda GL-1800 Razor Motor Trike

So what about a modded version to the sunburst theme? Either all black for orange and red for all the light color. So it's a black and red bike and blue and purple pinstripe.