• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mirror Holding Strap Question

dennypink

DennyPink
2007 R1200RT - bought part #51-16-7-718-357 - restraining band/holding strap for mirrors, but I can't see how or where the rubber strap attaches to the mirror body. Lot's of pictures on attachment to the fairing mirror bracket, but no luck finding how it actually attaches to the mirror. Thank you!
Denny

How I read it is that you needed to remove a couple screws to separate the rear mirror pieces - then the rubber tether loops over the plastic on the inside. You can kind of see the loop for the tether by number 2.

491847.png

Thank you Liaison. BMWLT.Com post 20 from May 2010 (my God 10 years ago already!) was exactly what I needed! Removed the two small torx screws, spread the plastic just enough to slide the rubber strap under and onto the little post. Tightened the screws, attached the other end to the mirror frame, pushed mirrors back on, done!

Sidebar: Been a member of the MOA since 1984, and I don't know why -every- BMW owner in America doesn't belong to this great organization!

Denny Pink

The mirror strap shown is only applicable to 2009 models, which came with them as standard equipment ... the mirror housing was changed for that year and includes a feature for strap attachment. The new housing can be retrofitted to earlier Hexheads (I did it).

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am amused at the need for a cable to keep parts from falling off a motorcycle. :scratch

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am amused at the need for a cable to keep parts from falling off a motorcycle. :scratch

Sad but true... have been behind some LT’s and early 1200 RT’s when hitting RR tracks or a pothole and ejecting a mirror.
My 05 spit one twice. I fixed mine with a short SS fishing leader out of my
tacklebox:banghead Installed a few for friends as well

A simple cable tie or even a string is sufficient. My mirrors have never fallen off, but they are designed to pop out of their grommets when struck to reduce damage.

I dropped the bike once when construction forced a stop in a steeply banked curve and the road was not where my foot expected it to be. I was a hundred yards past the construction zone before I realized the mirror was off and dangling. Collected a few scuffs, but not broken or left behind.

I use a couple re-usable cable ties that have a tab to release the mirror if necessary for maintenance.
27863477116_4b6b873694.jpg

Agree!

I had my right mirror pop/blow off while riding in South Dakota (80 mph speed limit) and a fierce ~30 mph wind coming from the 2:00 position. The fishing leader saved it from becoming a pancake.

Now at the end of each season I pop both mirrors off, and clean the posts and rubber portions with iso alcohol. Alcohol get swabbed on, then wiped off with a clean paper towel. This seems to remove any dust/grit that can cause the mirror to loose interface friction on the posts/rubber, thus keeping it on better during my adventures.

It was one of the features of the Hexhead->Camhead facelift that mirror mounting was changed. The latter can’t fall off and the toolkit is expanded to include a tool for removing them.

Mirrors stay with me!

Starting on my '91 K100RS (Wish I had never sold it!) through a couple of R1150RTs, and now an '07 R1200RT, I have always used two longish cable ties to retain the mirrors if they got bumped. If I need to remove them, i cut the tie near the gripper part and reuse them. A buddy with a K1100RS ejected one at 55 MPH and miraculously found it scratched, but not broken! Now he uses zip ties too!

Back