• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traveling through the West

bmwmontuck

lee spencer
Iam riding down hwy 101, from Canada bc, via Washington , Oregon and California , maybe to baja?. i wondered if anyone wanted to ride with me

Iam flexible on dates and can adjust for anyone wanting to ride with me.
I had thought of leaving white rock Canada March 04, riding hard until I got past the traffic in Seattle. Then head over to hwy 101, depending on weather. Or I could stay on I 5 and ride hard until out of cooler weather.

Iam 78 years old and will be riding 2014 gs
I will be hoteling it.
Lee Spencer... 778 996 9874
Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I got other plans then. You could by pass Seattle by taking either 1]the Port Townsend ferry or 2]the Kingston ferry both will take you to Hwy 101.

Eugene
Thanks, ride safe
If u know of anyone else
Doesn’t have to be March.. I flex
But I would like to do that ride

Eugene
Thanks, ride safe
If u know of anyone else
Doesn’t have to be March.. I flex
But I would like to do that ride

I have have one too, northern Cal. I was to do it in 2014 but things didn't work out, with my two brother -in -laws, but changed the last day. Now both are deceased. Ask the washington state BMW rider group.

If you have the time I'd recommend ditching the 101 in CA as much as possible and taking Rte/Pacific Coast Highway for a much more scenic and curvy ride.

It's possible I could join you for a day or two heading south from Santa Cruz.

I have to assume this trip was delayed, but having lived in each state, and traveled most of the coast, I have the following suggestions:
1) Take a ferry from Vancouver to the peninsula at Port Angeles, and skip Seattle altogether. That puts you right onto the 101 at the start of the scenic bits.
2) While on 101 in WA, after passing through Neilton, take a right on the Moclips Hwy, and cut back over to the coast, then head south on Hwy 109 - it will merge back with 101 at Hoquiam, WA, and is much more scenic than the 101 - which is a lightly bendy road through the forest, rather than scenic views.
3) For another scenic route between Aberdeen and Raymond, WA, take the 105 through Westport and Grayland rather than the more direct 101. After that the 101 is great through the rest of WA and all of OR.
4) In OR, there is a nice detour from North Bend south, turn Right on Virginia Ave about 1 mile after crossing the McCullough Memorial Bridge, then Left on Broadway Ave, and follow the bend Right at Newmark Ave, finally turning Left onto the Cape Arago Hwy. This takes you along the Pacific Coast through Barview and Charleston to the Seven Devils Rd and out to the W Beaver Hill Rd before coming back to the 101 at a T-junction - about a 20 mile detour.
5) 101 down to Leggett, CA, but don't miss the turn-off for CA-1. CA-1 crosses back over the King mountains down to the coast again, and is 33 miles of some of the twistiest road in the US as it first climbs a little then decends down to the coastline. Follow CA-1 all the way to San Francisco, and again on leaving S.F. stick to the water by going through San Jose to get back to CA-1.
6) Stay on CA-1 (which merges with US-101 sometimes) until entering Santa Monica, where it bends onto I-10. Then take I-405 south the Lakewood Blvd exit. Follow Lakewood Blvd to the traffic circle, and take the second right to CA-1 South again. This skips and gets you past a long string of industrial and strip malls, and all the traffic lights that entails.
You can then follow CA-1 down through Dana Point, stay right to Coast Hwy, and end up on El Camino Real through San Clemente before having to get on I-5 to go through Camp Pendleton to Ocenside.

Back