• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 R110R factory heated grips: half-way there?

billybreathes

Hello everyone, while performing annual maintenance and replacing the bar-ends on my 2000 R1100R (it had chromed ones that were peeling so picked up a pair of used standard black ones from Beemer Boneyard) I made what I think is an interesting discovery. The grips are wired so I'm assuming these are heated grips, however from what I can tell with Google Image searches the switch for them, which would be the left of the three switches between the bars at the top of the steering head, is not labelled as such and does not do anything. I can press it down in either direction with some effort, but it doesn't click into either position. I haven't yet removed the fuel tank to trace the wires coming out of the grips as I wasn't planning on removing it this winter (no need to otherwise), but at this point I may just out of curiosity (it's not like it's difficult).

So, my question is, am I possibly just a switch and maybe a fuse or a relay away from having factory heated grips?! I was looking into Oxford heated grips as an option earlier this winter but picked up a pair of Hippo Hands instead to see how I faired with those before I bothered with aftermarket electronics. Where available, I'd prefer the factory option as long as it's not prohibitively expensive.

Below is a pic I took of the wiring in the grips: if anyone can confirm for me that what I'm looking at are indeed grips that are wired up and ready for heat I'd greatly appreciate it! This is my first post to the MOA forums, I've been meaning to do an intro post for myself for over a year now after I bought this bike in the fall of 2018 and enrolled as a member but just haven't got around to it; I sit in front of a computer all day at work so doing so at home is typically the last thing I want to do at home (I'd rather be wrenching or riding!).

Thanks for any help!

Andrew

UPDATE: I checked a fuse box diagram for where the fuse for heated grips would be, and then checked the fusebox, this morning before heading in to work and sure enough there’s a 5 amp fuse in that location. I pulled the fuse to get a better look at whether it was wired for anything and it it appeared to be with a green with blue stripe and red with green (or blue?) stripe wires. Hmmm... I’ll definitely be pulling the fuel tank soon to track these wires. The fuse should be good as I replaced them all when I bought the bike, it’s still looks good, and to my knowledge it’s never had current run through it yet.

IMG_0909.jpg

Last edited:
You do have heated grips.
It is most likely the switch. Looking at the rusty screws beside the switch, I can surmise the bike has sat in the rain for a while.
Those switches get sticky over the years in weather and won't operate.
They can be carefully marked/disassembled, cleaned, contacts polished, and greased with silicone grease.
Many times the internal detent spring will be rusted in it's guide. It will need to be loosened with WD40 etc.
On rare occasions you will need to source a similar spring from aftermarket if too rusty.
Do the job over a white terry towel so you don't lose any internal parts.

I've fixed lots of them with good success.

Very exciting. I’ll check out my 1999R1100RT to see if it also has this hidden feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is great news, thanks you! I’ll definitely be refurbishing the switch in the near future. This bike had 126k miles on the clock when I bought it so it definitely wasn’t a garage queen, I do think it’s seen it’s fair share of the elements over the years.

I’m glad I didn’t spring for the Oxford grips, it’s only too bad I didn’t bother to swap the bar-ends to discover this earlier when I got them... before Fall and Winter set in :banghead

Thanks again,

Andrew

I can confirm that it's definitely a real switch that's wired up, it has just failed and is in need of TLC. The labelled had worn almost completed off or faded: under just the right light and at the right angle I can I think I can make out the heated grip symbol, but it's very faint, hence me not realizing I had them!

I have hit a snag though: I cannot remove the cover over the switches to get to it to refurbish it. I've got the instrument cluster loose up front, but it's still held tightly in place at its rear, below the switches just over the steering head and fuel tank. Does anyone have experience getting at these switches on a '00 R1100 and can offer a helpful hint?

Thank you again everyone!

Andrew

Yes, thank you for the pic GSAddict. For posterity, what was holding me back was a short countersunk head screw that takes a 4mm hex key, and you do have to go all the way and remove the handlebars, headlight, front turn signals, and instrument lights to get to it. The factory service manual does say to remove the handlebars, I had forgotten I had downloaded it to my phone a year and a half or so when I bought the bike. The Haynes manual has two sets of instructions for the R1100R: one for bikes with headlight cowl and those without. Mine’s naked so I figured I was without the cowl, but apparently I was wrong! The cowl must have been a facelift thing.

Anyway, the screw is BMW part #07 11 9 900 864: should’ve known, when in doubt just check the parts fiche diagrams. Mine was a bit punky, I got it out ok but felt it was close to stripping so I ordered a new one at my local dealer.

I opened up the existing switch and it’s like the guts of it are missing: made no sense to me how it could function as a 3-way rocker. There did appear to be space for a spring but none was there. Maybe it could be refurbished and work again but I don’t have the patience for it. I ordered a new switch from my local dealer, hooked it up when I got home tonight, turned the bike on, clicked the new switch on high, gave it a few minutes and what do you know: toasty warm grips! I’m pumped, this bike just got that much cooler to me :)

Thanks again for the help, GSAddict. khfranck: have you figured out if you have the same surprise heated grips i have?

Back