• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So, I'm starting to lose my loyalty.....

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Need a guidance counselor. Spent most of my life on HD, then RT, LT and now on GTL, but things are going sour and it seems???? odd?. I have four more states to ride to from home and I'm worried this GTL might let me down. Should I switch over to a Goldwing? Just thinking out loud.

Need a guidance counselor. Spent most of my life on HD, then RT, LT and now on GTL, but things are going sour and it seems???? odd?. I have four more states to ride to from home and I'm worried this GTL might let me down. Should I switch over to a Goldwing? Just thinking out loud.

What specifically are you worried about? Are you currently having mechanical issues?

I would be inclined to get a good - unlimited mileage to the nearest qualified service facility - roadside assistance / towing plan and get to riding to those four states.

I feel that: "IF" you've enjoyed the K16 on the other 44 states, you'll want to use it on the remaining four!

Even if it includes the other BMW's... conquer the lower 48 on BMW.

If it's a "mixed brand" bag of accomplishment already, then anything will do for the overall riding achievement.

I personally have the satisfaction of the lower 48 on my HD FLTR...

I now look at that nearly 20yr old bike with respect and fondness, a "bond" that I feel because of the trials & elation the rider experienced, on that machine.

Hope you can appreciate my thoughts.

"travel'n" John

Last edited:
Yes, switch to a Goldwing.

If that's what it takes, Jon, then take the leap.

Sounds like you've got Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka SAD)! It's a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern (like the dark days of Jan/Feb). You need to get your bike prepared for a ride, plot your routes for your GPS, and then get your tail out on the highway. Either that, or go ask a shrink for some medicines...

Why your fear over a seemingly serviceable GTL motorcycle?

Good Luck, Jon. Hope things work out 4 U as the seasons change... :thumb

In our case, we're planning our Alaskan Adventures right now. Then we'll see all Y'all in Great Falls come June. Riding to Orange Beach for the first Getaway in the morning {expected overnight low ~24F}.
Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
:love

Need a guidance counselor. ...I'm worried this GTL might let me down.

I think this is a natural part of ageing; you become more aware of risk. For example, I haven't flown commercial aviation for two years. I'm not worried about crashing, just potential flight interruptions, and hassles.

Good luck with your decision on the Wing.

Last edited:
I think this is a natural part of ageing; you become more aware of risk. For example, I havent flow commercial aviation for two years. Im not worried about crashing, just potential flight interruptions, and hassles.
I have the same feeling :wave
OM

Yep, if I was you I'd immediately buy something else for fear that it's going to leave you stranded. Immediately

Play nice. There are some issues which over the years have given people some reason to be apprehensive: K bike starter relays, Airhead clutch splines, receding Airhead exhaust valves, Oilhead final drives, R100GS driveshafts, G310 sidestands, R1200 rear struts, K1600 transmissions, and R1250 brakes, just to name the few most obvious. Which is why in post #2 I asked what specifically he was worried about.

By now I don't think he has been back with another post, but if I had posted the original post and then read some of the cute but mean spirited responses in this thread I wouldn't come back either.

I think folks do this sort of thing looking for someone to beg them to change their mind. Why?
If this person wants to go buy another bike, why talk him/her out of it. They are looking for attention. Go

I think folks do this sort of thing looking for someone to beg them to change their mind. Why?
If this person wants to go buy another bike, why talk him/her out of it. They are looking for attention. Go

I agree.
But I will digress.
Its like when you go to the doctor and say: "Hey Doc! It hurts when I do this..."
And the Doctor says: "Well don't do that!"

In other words...If it smells bad...don't eat it.

"Just thinking out loud"; as he says.

Joe

Colorado 2010 Goldwing

I have a nice low mileage 2010 Goldwing in a beautiful yellow that I am willing to sell...

Bernie

I like different riding experiences, so I’ve got a Ducati and a Honda VFR. Life is short, try stuff out.

Hold it, i'm the shrink here!!!!!!!!!!!

It is entirely possible that the guy has fallen victim to what I used to refer to as the Final Drive Syndrome. A few years back, if you were on the Forums, you could end up thinking that if you bought a bike from that era, especially if you bought a boxer; the final drive was a grenade waiting to go off at midnight in Alligator country. The fact was that the problem occurred in less than 4% of those models. That having been said, No one bothered to figure out what he was afraid of. A little support goes a long way. Remember the words of Sherlock Holmes (AKA Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" " I do not yet have enough data; insensibly men bend facts to fit theories, not theories to fit facts" As for the underlying nastiness Paul spoke of: I will be far less than subtle and less than polite as well: If snide comments and insinuations make you feel superior, perhaps you need to be on my couch. Kindly put them where the sun doesn't shine. 3hawks

SNIP...As for the underlying nastiness Paul spoke of: I will be far less than subtle and less than polite as well: If snide comments and insinuations make you feel superior, perhaps you need to be on my couch. Kindly put them where the sun doesn't shine. 3hawks

I completely agree. On-line communication is difficult for everyone, and more so for many, and smart-ass remarks only drive people away. As Paul said, play nice!

I'm losing my loyalty because the only BMW dealer in my state closed it's doors. There are 8 Harley and 6 Honda dealers. BMW prefers the "boutique" experience, I don't. It's still a just a product. Dealers have limited floor space satisfy BMW's corporate requirements. Just because I prefer BMW's doesn't mean I'm going 200 miles and take a vacation day if I need help.

The competition is upping their game and producing nice bikes. Loyalty to a badge means they are loyal to customers. If it isn't reciprocal, it's not a relationship.

I'm losing my loyalty because the only BMW dealer in my state closed it's doors. There are 8 Harley and 6 Honda dealers. BMW prefers the "boutique" experience, I don't. It's still a just a product. Dealers have limited floor space satisfy BMW's corporate requirements. Just because I prefer BMW's doesn't mean I'm going 200 miles and take a vacation day if I need help.

The competition is upping their game and producing nice bikes. Loyalty to a badge means they are loyal to customers. If it isn't reciprocal, it's not a relationship.

Your concern is valid, and seems to be heard more and more. One option would be to call BMW Motorrad USA at their New Jersey headquarters and voice your concerns with them. Perhaps hearing directly from current customers would drive the point home. I believe this is still a valid number for their offices: 201-307-4000

Back