• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine temperature display on my 2019 R1250RT Nav 6 is very erratic

cereed0419

Hi All. The Nav 6 allows you to see several engine parameters of which one is engine temperature. I’ve noticed that you can be cruising and it usually reads 180 to 185 degrees but on some occasions it will fluctuate up and down from 170 to 195 in just 30 seconds or so. When I see this fluctuation on the Nav 6 the dash does not fluctuate. Typically it stays between 6 or 7 bars when cruising. Any idea if this is a resistance issue with the temperature gauge or perhaps a shield missing on the temperature sensor allowing wind to radically change the temperature reading or just a defect in the Nav 6?

Thanks, Craig

Ignore it as long as the long-term results make you happy.

Too much technology and detail will only make you crazy. The human brain far exceeds the ability of common sensors, so use it as a guide, a grain of salt, and not the gospel. Or, you can drive yourself crazy. Your choice.

It sounds like the Nav 6 is somehow tapping into a date source that feeds instantaneous engine coolant temperature. Whereas your dash gauge is displaying an averaged temp (i.e. averaged over a set period of time, not instantaneous.) An averaged reading is much more meaningful.

I have noticed this as well, but it seems to stabilize to the actual temperature after 20-30 mins when everything is nicely warmed up..:scratch
Don't know why but this has been my observation so far... YMMV

Could just be the thermostat open and close like it should.

I think John is right on. My two previous bikes had digital coolant temp displays and the temperature would move around a bit.

On those bikes it was more worrisome to me because the VFR800 typically would cycle as high as 220 and the FJR hardly ever got up to its nominal thermostat temp of 185. In both cases the dealers claimed and other owners concurred that "they all do that". I, too, suspect that car manufactures and others put in the averaging function on the display to keep owners calm.

Hi All. The Nav 6 allows you to see several engine parameters of which one is engine temperature. I’ve noticed that you can be cruising and it usually reads 180 to 185 degrees but on some occasions it will fluctuate up and down from 170 to 195 in just 30 seconds or so. When I see this fluctuation on the Nav 6 the dash does not fluctuate. Typically it stays between 6 or 7 bars when cruising. Any idea if this is a resistance issue with the temperature gauge or perhaps a shield missing on the temperature sensor allowing wind to radically change the temperature reading or just a defect in the Nav 6?

Thanks, Craig

On our R1200RS bikes the coolant temperature will jump up and down like that in cold weather.
When it's warm or hot out the coolant temp does not change as much.
The coolant temp on our dash reads the same as the Nav V.

Back