Thread: R1250RT engine protection bars

R1250RT engine protection bars

I just bought a new R1250RT and am trying to decide on engine protection bars. I have narrowed it down to Ilium,Ztecnik, and Heed. I like the price of the Heed but don't know if they are compatible with the factory fog lights. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bars. thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by 44135 View Post
    I just bought a new R1250RT and am trying to decide on engine protection bars. I have narrowed it down to Ilium,Ztecnik, and Heed. I like the price of the Heed but don't know if they are compatible with the factory fog lights. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bars. thanks in advance for any help.
    I have the Illium works rear bars and love them. Easy installation and look nice on the bike. They may not be the cheapest but I suspect you will find the quality and opinions of them very high. Not sure if the fronts can be used with the factory fog light bars.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Ditto on ILLIUM!

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    I have the Illium works rear bars and love them. Easy installation and look nice on the bike. They may not be the cheapest but I suspect you will find the quality and opinions of them very high. Not sure if the fronts can be used with the factory fog light bars.
    I have the Illium Works engine bars on my 2016 R1200RT. The best part for me is that I also have their highway pegs mounted on the bars. I love the highway pegs as they afford a means to comfortably stretch out one’s legs on long trips. I also have my Clearwater Darla’s mounted on these bars as well. So for me, they are an indispensable part of a comfortable, safe ride! IMHO!

llium - gray front and black, rear,

Last edited by bmwdean; 02-15-2020 at 01:43 AM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

The ilium bars are the way to go. They work as advertised.

IF you go that route, you will have to purchase the ilium brackets for the OEM auxiliary lights. I am not aware if there are other possibilities to mount those lights on the ilium bars without using their brackets. The bars are round, so anything is possible. The ilium brackets are painted to match the black bars.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

+1 on Ilium. Their products are of consistent high quality. $$$

Agree with Illium (on my 2015). Also, my my bike tipped over while parked (soft soil) and scratched part of the bar. Called Ilium and they told me the actual paint brand/color they use and a suggested process to fix. Great service.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I put the Illium front and rear "crash bars" on my 2018RTW based on watching the video of the owner of Illium testing these crash bars on his own bike.

Last summer, at the MOA National in Lebanon, TN I took the short training course taught by some motor officers. They advised removing the saddlebags
    before doing the fairly tight turns. I did this and of course I did drop the bike. No damage anywhere - I don't think that I would have damaged the saddlebags
    anyway, but better safe than sorry.

I have both the BMW aux and clearwater lights mounted to the front crash bars.

At the link below for Illium there is a video illustrating the drop test with the crash bars on a R1250RT -

https://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motor...%2D200&pID=157

Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Agree with Illium (on my 2015). Also, my my bike tipped over while parked (soft soil) and scratched part of the bar. Called Ilium and they told me the actual paint brand/color they use and a suggested process to fix. Great service.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A little spray of black spray paint in the lid and finger paint the scratch worked for me. Not as pretty as original, but.........
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

I have the Z-technik on the front and Ilium on the rear. 2016 R1200RT. The Ilium front bars were sold out when I needed them, the Z-technik look good, work well, and leave the heads accessible. They've paid for themselves, twice. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have the Wunderlick bars on my 2019 R1250RT. Fit is perfect I like the looks and you can attach the OEM fog lights using the OEM brackets to the bars saving the expense of additional brackets as required with Iliumworks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are really nice looking!