• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F750GS GPS Wiring?

shropdog

I just bought a 750GS with factory installed GPS mount. I have zero intention of buying or using a BMW GPS on the bike and want to remove the cradle and unplug the wire. Plus I am not a fan of the cradle location. Question...how deep in the bowels of the bike is the connector plug? I hate to start tearing apart a new bike to ultimately realize I am in over my head! Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I just bought a 750GS with factory installed GPS mount. I have zero intention of buying or using a BMW GPS on the bike and want to remove the cradle and unplug the wire. Plus I am not a fan of the cradle location. Question...how deep in the bowels of the bike is the connector plug? I hate to start tearing apart a new bike to ultimately realize I am in over my head! Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I was in the same boat when I bought my bike last March. As I recall there is a connection from the cable to the back of the mount that was easy to disconnect - but I could be mis-remembering. :bluduh

I asked in the garage forum and got this helpful advice from LKraus :thumb on purchasing a bare wire adapter:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?95000-Adapter-for-Garmin-unit-(Non-Nav)&highlight=

I ended up having to release a couple of cable ties but it was nothing too tricky.

Good luck! :beer

Ack

These comments are based on 850 however, imagine 750 is no different. And if it is the same...had about four plastic ties to remove as you follow cable from cradle down front of steering head....cable will go to right, under dash lip. There is a connector under that lip to the far right. Difficult to see, but not hard to reach...I ended up pulling the connector holder off so I could disconnect the cradle cable. So sit on bike, reach forward with right hand to dash lip below display, run fingers along that dash lip to the right...you'll feel it. I used a screw driver to release the ties as well as connector holder. Good luck.

These comments are based on 850 however, imagine 750 is no different. And if it is the same...had about four plastic ties to remove as you follow cable from cradle down front of steering head....cable will go to right, under dash lip. There is a connector under that lip to the far right. Difficult to see, but not hard to reach...I ended up pulling the connector holder off so I could disconnect the cradle cable. So sit on bike, reach forward with right hand to dash lip below display, run fingers along that dash lip to the right...you'll feel it. I used a screw driver to release the ties as well as connector holder. Good luck.

Motodan is correct! There is not a connector at the back of the cradle. There is a short lead that goes to a connector down under the dash to a point behind the left turn indicator. My memory sucks! :whistle

20200211_193933.jpg

20200211_194059.jpg

A big thank you to Motodan and Ack for the further details. You guys are going to make my life much easier! Take care and ride safe!

Back