• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Moving around a motorcycle lift

drneo66

I've had my HMC motorcycle lift (review linked) for almost a year now. At some point I found a video explaining a neat process for moving it around the garage, but I can't seem to find it now. You can buy a "lift mover," but I found that this was a cheaper option (like over $100 cheaper), and it allows me to move the lift in several directions at the same time. When not in use, I like to place my lift as close as possible to the wall, then raise it, to act as another work bench. This is probably one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that" garage hacks...

I use a carpeted moving dolly, then raise the lift high enough to slide it in.

I lower the lift onto the dolly, and move it where ever I need it; then raise the lift back up, and slide the dolly out. Easy on the lift, easy on my back!

Pretty clever!!
I have the same type of lift and used two dollies to move it from om=ne side of my house back into the shop. Your method seems alot easier.

Running out buy a moving dolly right now!

I have a lift table and it is a struggle for one person to move it.

Thanks!

Hmmm.... quite smart indeed. I’ve been using three friends, liberal application of whisky and brute force and ignorance. Your method is certainly less expensive.

I use a carpeted moving dolly, then raise the lift high enough to slide it in. I lower the lift onto the dolly, and move it where ever I need it; then raise the lift back up, and slide the dolly out. Easy on the lift, easy on my back!

Brilliant! :thumb

I keep two mover dollies in the garage for operations such as this. IMHO, those sold at Harbor Freight are worthless due to crappy caster bearings. The ones at Home Depot are a bit more expensive, but work for me.

If you want something smaller, the roller bases for Rubbermaid Roughneck trash cans have really good casters. I've used those for small (i.e. pancake) compressor mobile bases and creeper stools for flooring work.

Wow! I like your moving idea. :thumb

I don't have the need to move my lift very often as one bike is always ridden onto it and parked. However I will pickup a dolly for the odd time it needs to be moved, such as painting the floor of creating more winter floor space.

A friend (now deceased) built a lift that could be locked in place but when released, the lift, complete with the bike, could easily moved around his garage. Wish I could do that for winter storage.

Thank you again for your suggestion. Went out this morning and picked up 1000 pound moving dolly! I' m all set for when the lift needs moving.

Both the dolly idea and the extra workbench is brilliant.Thanks for sharing. I'm off to Harbor Freight to buy a couple more dollies.

Paul - I think my mom may have hacked your account!! :brad

Not at all. I use a hydraulic jack and the wheels on the lift to move my Handy Lift (BEST AVAILABLE), but that is forward and backward. Side to side not so much. I have an R1100 engine on my furniture dolly right now but will use the dolly next time I need to move my lift. It is a genius idea and I applaud you for figuring it out.

My lift is pain to move around. As I mentioned above, i always leave it so that one bike is ridden onto and parked while the other one is parked beside the lift.

I am hoping the dolly will allow me to easily move the lift 90 degrees, parallel to the back wall, so that both bikes can be parked on the garage floor. If this method works, the lift can be moved into place only when needed.

Even though our two car garage is dedicated to the bikes, with tool chests, work bench, shelving, a one wheel trailer, (and table saw) etc, freeing up floor space will be welcome! :dance

Thank you for sharing you innovative idea. :thumb

Great suggestion indeed!

I just bought an HMC SL-3090 lift from them and added the front wheels. They don't have them listed on the website from what I can tell, but they are two inserts that slide into the square openings on the long bar. In the picture, the lift is raised, which brings the wheels down so the lift can be moved. When the lift is down, the wheels move out of the way so the front of the lift doesn't move. That is helpful when rolling the bike on and off the lift.

I can't remember what the cost was, but it wasn't out of place, considering an easy solution to the issue of moving the lift out of the way.

IMG_2115.jpeg

Interesting thread. On my Handy lift, I’ve always just thrown the ramp on top, raised the lift all the way and deployed the safety bar, then picked up the ramp end of the lift and rolled it around the garage. Not sure I need to add another piece of equipment to the garage just to move the lift, but I can see it being handy for those who have to move lifts frequently or store them in tight quarters.

Best,
DeVern

Interesting! They didn't say anything about that when I called to order... would probably be an easy upsell for many!

I use my roll-around floor jack at the end without wheels. This works well in a straight line but sideways would be a failure.

Back