Thread: Turtle 2 Helite

Turtle 2 Helite

This is in response to some turtle conversation on a thread in wetheads about protective gear and someones accident- but that's been pretty much hijacked by helite talk so I moved this here.

Well- against the conventional wisdom, I got an XL. (5'8 or9" 180lbs JUST barely XL by their chart and L by height) Revzilla, when I called to discuss sizing, recommended XL but was willing to pay shipping if i needed to return for an L. First try was over the Aerostich Roadcrafter (after I removed the jacket's back protection)- fit perfectly. Next over my Foxcreek leather jacket very good fit Next over my Rokker Denim (polimid) jacket...soso- there is very little "smaller" adjustment in the Helite- lots of "bigger" but I did manage to get it down about an inch. I'm keeping the XL. I found NO good description of how it SHOULD fit- someone here (brownell?) mentioned a rep telling him to leave a fist-width of room inside- that I got. Well made- except the XL uses a co2 that doesn't fit in the pretty useless so called "pocket". The fit that mattered to me was the roadcrafter mainly- and that feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    This is in response to some turtle conversation on a thread in wetheads about protective gear and someones accident- but that's been pretty much hijacked by helite talk so I moved this here.

Well- against the conventional wisdom, I got an XL. (5'8 or9" 180lbs JUST barely XL by their chart and L by height) Revzilla, when I called to discuss sizing, recommended XL but was willing to pay shipping if i needed to return for an L. First try was over the Aerostich Roadcrafter (after I removed the jacket's back protection)- fit perfectly. Next over my Foxcreek leather jacket very good fit Next over my Rokker Denim (polimid) jacket...soso- there is very little "smaller" adjustment in the Helite- lots of "bigger" but I did manage to get it down about an inch. I'm keeping the XL. I found NO good description of how it SHOULD fit- someone here (brownell?) mentioned a rep telling him to leave a fist-width of room inside- that I got. Well made- except the XL uses a co2 that doesn't fit in the pretty useless so called "pocket". The fit that mattered to me was the roadcrafter mainly- and that feels right.
    I'm the member who posted about the room recommended by the Helite rep. He told me it should be loose enough to place a fist between the vest and chest. I adjusted my large to do just that. What they don't want is the vest to be worn too tight as when it inflates it needs that room so the rider is strangled so tight it restricts the lungs from being able to breathe.

Not sure which pocket you're speaking to.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Turtle Vest

I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XL jacket mine takes a 100cc canister the smaller jacket uses a 50cc or 60cc canister

Edit vest came from store in Northern Ireland wrong numbers on website or given in communications with store.
    Manual that came with vest lists three sizes 50cc, 60cc, and 100cc
    Last edited by 179212; 02-25-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XLL jacket my jack takes a 120 gram canister the smaller jacket uses a 90 gram canister
    Translate that to cc for us. My Helite takes a 60cc CO2 cartridge
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XLL jacket my jack takes a 120 gram canister the smaller jacket uses a 90 gram canister
    My XL turtle 2 takes a 60cc canister (thats 182g)

My XL turtle 2 takes a 60cc canister (thats 182g)
    My L also uses the 60cc Co2 canister.

Vest

Point they have 3 sizes of co2 canister, if canister won’t fit in pocket possibly wrong size for jacket
    Label on canister
    NTGF 457
    TW 297
    CO2
    Name:  FC00B96F-3C7D-4378-AA6A-9CB840BBE5BE.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  94.4 KBName:  876EE089-5E3E-4C44-B53C-69B965FDA8DA.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  2BC81FC7-E69C-4752-8564-2D73DDD157C3.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  111.3 KB
    Last edited by 179212; 02-25-2020 at 11:06 PM.

OK just to stay honest: The 60cc canister JUST BARELY slides into the little zipper pouch. I had the allen key in first and it kept the cart from dropping all the way in. And yes, allen key and extra CO2 fit. OK back to your regularly scheduled program.

OK just to stay honest: The 60cc canister JUST BARELY slides into the little zipper pouch. I had the allen key in first and it kept the cart from dropping all the way in. And yes, allen key and extra CO2 fit. OK back to your regularly scheduled program.
    You keep a spare 60cc cartridge "in" the pocket the cartridge sits in? I'd not have thought to consider that for two reasons

1. space available is made for 1 cartridge, not 2
    2. bulkier

I keep my spare under the seat in the tool kit with the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    You keep a spare 60cc cartridge "in" the pocket the cartridge sits in? I'd not have thought to consider that for two reasons

1. space available is made for 1 cartridge, not 2
    2. bulkier

I keep my spare under the seat in the tool kit with the wrench.
    There is a small zippered "pocket" under a flap on the opposite side of the vest from the "active" cartridge. To tell the truth I haven't decided where I'll put the spare- probably not there- I could fit three cigarettes there (if I smoked) or a stubby pencil (if I needed one) I just wanted to correct an earlier statement I made- I DO recall SOMEWHERE it was mentioned that thats for a spare- whether Helite word or interweb myth, I know not. My RDL seat arrives tomorrow and I'll probably sort things out then- though to be honest- with two lanyards and four bikes the vest itself may not be the worst place to keep it LOL.

There is a small zippered "pocket" under a flap on the opposite side of the vest from the "active" cartridge. To tell the truth I haven't decided where I'll put the spare- probably not there- I could fit three cigarettes there (if I smoked) or a stubby pencil (if I needed one) I just wanted to correct an earlier statement I made- I DO recall SOMEWHERE it was mentioned that thats for a spare- whether Helite word or interweb myth, I know not. My RDL seat arrives tomorrow and I'll probably sort things out then- though to be honest- with two lanyards and four bikes the vest itself may not be the worst place to keep it LOL.
    That pocket on my large T2 is 3" deep and 4" tall. Wondering why yours is that much smaller. In your case, maybe the spare should be kept with the vest.