• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chicago Motorcycle Show: BMW MIA

melberts

Hey, I went to the Chicago Motorcycle show yesterday to go get some BMW merch and finalize my choice of a new RT or GS. Well, BMW didn't have an exhibit! WTF?

Also, every other manufacturer had plenty of adventure rides to take BMW's place. Who is in charge of their marketing dept in the US? Time for new one..

BMW has been a no show at most of these shows lately. Most likely no returns for the time and money it cost o do them. My wife and I travel and do art shows. It’s stupid expensive. I can only imagine how much it cost to do one of these bike shows. I would rather go to my local dealer and not have to fight the cruiser crowd and pay out the wazoo for the show and parking.:)

Tough times continue for our motorcycling industry. BMW feels it doesn't pay to market at multi line gatherings. BMW knows they're a niche player, believing serious buyers will seek them out via dealer network. Until just recently, BMW couldn't see supporting what they considered a "captive" market segment, MOA members, with incentives. BMW had always held we members would repeat buy as we were already sold on their machines. BMW sought to spend their marketing money on conquest buyers. It took quite a while and lots of convincing, but BMW finally decided it was worth providing an incentive to buy their product, should one be among the MOA ranks (thanks Ted and others). Apparently, the market's gotten to where captives are better than nothing. Making every calculation on every dollar...so goes the industry.

Last edited:
I complained after going to the Cleveland show - for what will be the last time. This was BMW's response:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding our absence at the Cleveland Progressive International Motorcycle Show.

I understand your disappointment in learning that BMW Motorrad USA was not in attendance as you, and many others, enjoy viewing our vehicles. The decision was made as we review our presence at various events while simultaneously also exploring alternative platforms on which to showcase the latest BMW products and innovations.

I recommend contacting the sales team at your local authorized BMW Motorrad dealer. Should you need it, a list of our authorized BMW centers can be found on www.bmwmotorcycles.com. Simply select the “Find a Dealer” link located in the middle of the page.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us.

Regards,

Matthew Mcclellan
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative​

I complained after going to the Cleveland show - for what will be the last time. This was BMW's response:

Wow. They don’t seem to understand the whole point of the shows, which is to be able to compare and contrast the various makes and models all under one roof. Saying “oh just visit our showroom” is a pretty dense response.

The shows are one hell of an expense, booth rent, plus 2-3 semi trucks and drivers and factory reps that have to follow with and all the related expenses. Figure the cost against roughly 15,000 units sold per year it doesn't even get close to working out. I have no clue what it costs to run all the International motorcycle shows, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is $2mil. My bet is they feel the potential loss in volume is easier to handle than the cost of the shows.

BMW Motorcycle Show MIA

I actually think they do understand the point of the shows -- as well as the economics. In a prior life, I worked in close conjunction with the marketing and communications organization of a major automotive OEM and the cost to plan, prepare and attend these shows is astronomical -- and close to that for motorcycle OEM's as well. In my opinion, when BMW works closely or supports its' dealers in customer events -- particularly those that get them on a bike that can be ridden -- they are far more effective in selling bikes. I realize that for those dealerships in the temperature climate zones that limits these types of events to six of 12 months in the year but there are other things that can be done to keep the brand front and center in the mind of riders. Rider clinics, safety training, BMW Ambassador or racer presentations, and maintenance or service clinics just to name a few. Our local dealer does such events and has managed to build a loyal following and grown sales significantly. And that, my friends, is really the objective of any marketing campaign or effort. Just my $0.02!

Kent

P.S. I should also point out that since motorcycle shows are only held in major cities whereas the BMW dealer network is far more distributed, the ability of BMW to connect with its audience is better leveraging the latter network.

:thumb

I hope everyone who has posted thus far reads the above posting.

Exactly - it's right on. BMW Motorrad USA has limited budget for such events which includes the costs of sending their demo truck around the country. Every bike show they don't attend increases the chances of them attending the BMW MOA Rally.

Very poor show

After paying $19 entrance fee and $15 to park, I will probably never go back. BMW Motorrad was at the Chicago show a few years ago the last time I went.

Last edited:
At least BMWMOA had a presence at the show... sounds like they signed up quite a few new members.

A while back the MOA had a booth at the Minneapolis show, but they haven't been there for a while. I assume a local club could volunteer to staff it?

I wonder if customers understand the costs. I am certain BMW does.
If it costs BMW $2mil to run all the International Motorcycle shows and they sell 15,000 motorcycles that year, the math comes out to $130 per motorcycle sold. Pretty big chuck on money for the return on investment.

I find the 20% purchase discounts help off set the show fee ...I saved significant dollars on a communication system and helmet...justified the $15 park and $17 discounted ticket price (thank you MOA). I do agree with BMW push for supporting the travel direction toward Dealer Networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denver Motorcycle Show

I attended the Denver show. Non of the European manufacturers were present. Very disappointing.

Same here. I attended to look over the European motorcycles as I am inundated with marketing messages from Harley and the Japanese manufacturers.

Will not attend another show....

I personally would love to attend one of these shows mentioned. I may have 2 BMW's in the garage, but they aren't the only game in town. I'd love to see all the other competition and what they have to offer.

Not that I'd want to buy something different. I just love bikes. :thumb

Same here. I attended to look over the European motorcycles as I am inundated with marketing messages from Harley and the Japanese manufacturers.

Will not attend another show....

I've been waiting years for the Progressive Motorcycle Show to come to Denver. Sure, no BMW, but lots of others to look at, sit on, chat about, dream about... and some good deals on merchandise. Got me some very nice summer motorcycle gloves and my wife got some new riding pants.

Great show, really enjoyed it. Well worth the drive, parking and ticket to attend.

Living in Vermont the New York show seemed the best. Traveling to NY by train, seeing the show, having a couple of nice dinner and my wife taking us to a broadway show was a mid winter outing. In the last few years they moved the date to mid December. The much higher pre Xmas cost of hotels, broadway shows and the general crowds just was too much for us to do.

Instead, We've gone to the Montreal Show, while smaller it has had BMW, KTM and almost all the other brands. I have to admit staying in down town Montreal is about the same cost as post xmas NYC.

Back