Thread: '85 K100RS new side covers question.

'85 K100RS new side covers question.

I was able to source brand new left and right battery covers for my 1985 K100RS.They are noticeably more flexible than the originals-almost like they are less of a plastic. Anyone here know if BMW changed the composition?

Thanks,
    Tom

Bluenoser
    Often as plastics and metal age they get less flexible. That's likely what is going on with your new parts.
    1995 R100Rt with Kenna Sidecar, 1986 K100RT

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    I was able to source brand new left and right battery covers for my 1985 K100RS.They are noticeably more flexible than the originals-almost like they are less of a plastic. Anyone here know if BMW changed the composition?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Details please? My left side is shot and before I go monkeying with it, might be easier simply to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by rvb1019 View Post
    Details please? My left side is shot and before I go monkeying with it, might be easier simply to replace it.
    I got the left from Motorworks and the right from Motobins. Mine are the early style-pre 09/85. It looks like I got the only early style R H. cover that Motobins had as they have not shown stock on that item since I purchased mine. Expensive to get them professionally painted/clear-coated too.

Fix for flexible side covers

Thanks,
    Tom
    To fix the flex in the side covers, especially the left one on a K100, where we tend to push against whilst parking the bike on the center stand, I use abs plastic and MEK solvent. Mail order a sheet of ABS plastic for a few bucks and get a can of MEK substitute. Cut a piece of ABS to form fit as backing for the center part of the cover. Moisten it with MEK and also moisten the area on the back of the side cover and “glue it together.” A clamp might help for an hour to hold things in place. This is a good way to fix cracks in fairings, too. With a little practice and patience all kinds of things can be fixed, reinforced, etc.

This seems really odd to me as all the classic K-bike side covers I've seen have been very rigid very little flexing. Are there any indications that these covers you received were reproductions?
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Greg,

I queried Motorworks about the change in hardness of the replacement left hand one. They said the part was an original BMW battery cover so...........

Greg,

I queried Motorworks about the change in hardness of the replacement left hand one. They said the part was an original BMW battery cover so...........
    Well, I guess I will have to pull a side cover off of one of my K75s just to re-calibrate my sense of how rigid it is. Thanks!
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS