• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'85 K100RS new side covers question.

mcmlcccvrs

I was able to source brand new left and right battery covers for my 1985 K100RS.They are noticeably more flexible than the originals-almost like they are less of a plastic. Anyone here know if BMW changed the composition?

Thanks,
Tom

I was able to source brand new left and right battery covers for my 1985 K100RS.They are noticeably more flexible than the originals-almost like they are less of a plastic. Anyone here know if BMW changed the composition?

Thanks,
Tom

Details please? My left side is shot and before I go monkeying with it, might be easier simply to replace it.

Details please? My left side is shot and before I go monkeying with it, might be easier simply to replace it.

I got the left from Motorworks and the right from Motobins. Mine are the early style-pre 09/85. It looks like I got the only early style R H. cover that Motobins had as they have not shown stock on that item since I purchased mine. Expensive to get them professionally painted/clear-coated too.

Fix for flexible side covers

Thanks,
Tom

To fix the flex in the side covers, especially the left one on a K100, where we tend to push against whilst parking the bike on the center stand, I use abs plastic and MEK solvent. Mail order a sheet of ABS plastic for a few bucks and get a can of MEK substitute. Cut a piece of ABS to form fit as backing for the center part of the cover. Moisten it with MEK and also moisten the area on the back of the side cover and “glue it together.” A clamp might help for an hour to hold things in place. This is a good way to fix cracks in fairings, too. With a little practice and patience all kinds of things can be fixed, reinforced, etc.

This seems really odd to me as all the classic K-bike side covers I've seen have been very rigid very little flexing. Are there any indications that these covers you received were reproductions?

Greg,

I queried Motorworks about the change in hardness of the replacement left hand one. They said the part was an original BMW battery cover so...........

Greg,

I queried Motorworks about the change in hardness of the replacement left hand one. They said the part was an original BMW battery cover so...........

Well, I guess I will have to pull a side cover off of one of my K75s just to re-calibrate my sense of how rigid it is. Thanks!

Back